• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clay-colored or Chipping Sparrow? (1 Viewer)

Marcel Gauthier

Hello

Clay-colored or Chipping Sparrow? Pictured end of august 2005 near Quebec City by my friend Guy Germain.

I see a Clay-colored. He sees a Chiiping.

Your opinion are welcome

Attachments

• SparrowSp.jpg
    SparrowSp.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 213
Chipping for me, too. That long black eyeline that extends to the nape is diagnostic. Also, notice the dark lores, another Chipping feature where Clay-colored would be pale.

Beautiful shot! I love these guys. I had one overwinter this year, which is unusual -- we don't normally see them until late spring for the breeding season.

Ditto for me... Chipping. The black eyeline extending through the lores is diagnostic for Chipping, whereas this loral spot is not marked in Clay-colored. Clay-colored should show a grayer nape patch, and a bird in this plumage has a central median crown stripe.

After agonizing over the various choices offered by the many field guides, I think it looks most like a non-breeding plumage Chipping Sparrow (August-March).

Marcel Gauthier said:
Hello

Clay-colored or Chipping Sparrow? Pictured end of august 2005 near Quebec City by my friend Guy Germain.

I see a Clay-colored. He sees a Chiiping.

Your opinion are welcome

Adult Chipping Sparrow, but plumage turning into its winter colouring, with brownish ear patch instead of grey, and some streaking in it's rufous crown, rather than a bright chestnut crown. Not a juvie, as it would show some streaking on the breast. A neat bird, and an excellent photo--you've captured it beautifully.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back