• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

Photographer Nick

I also need to know how to attract hummingbirds. I have a feeder and a few flowers but haven't seen one yet. What are the best types of flowers to use to attract a hummingbird?

What part of the country are you in? In general, red is the best color of flowers to attract hummingbirds. Nurseries will often indicate which plants attract them.

Nick

I tried to set up my garden for all birds, meaning lots of trees,shrubs, flowers, and herbs, and water. "my" hummers go for everything, from the zinnias to the butterfly bush, all colors, they perch on willow branches and clothes line. It seems to me anyway, that once you get one attracted in the spring, you'll have them all season long. I currently see 1 male and at least 3 females (maybe juvies) every day.

Gunter

Nick,

What type of feeder are you using? I use a hummzinger, the entire top is red. The first time a hummer shot by it heading to a neighbors feeder it immediately pulled a u-turn to check it out. The feeder was out less than a day. I've also had them come close to check out a t-shirt I have with the Red Sox logo on it, lol. A list of hummer flowers can be found here. http://www.thegardenhelper.com/hummingbird.html

Bee Balm

nick:
get yourself a batch of bee bomb.
hummers love them. http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=199380

Not to seem picky, but the herb is called "Bee Balm", not "bomb". I have some seeds but haven't planted them yet, so I can't speak for that, yet. Any salvia (ornamental, not edble sage), or anything tubular and red or orange. That's not a hard and fast rule, either, though. Last winter, we had one regular female visitor who only went for white flowers.

(Remember, we Floridians get your hummers when they migrate for the winter, and our best birding seasons are pretty much the opposite of y'all's.)

Hummingbirds not only like nector and feeders but they also eat little bugs so I do not dust or spray my roses and share the aphids with them. Misting water and sprinklers give them a chance to have a proper bath. I had one follow me while I was hand watering and started bathing in the spray as I watered one pot. Needless to say the pot was over watered and the hummingbird was very happy.

Hummers seem to remember where they've eaten well before and return year after year. I've planted trumpet vine and honeysuckle especially for them, but I've seen them on rosebushes as well. I've got two humzingers out, since they are territorial little things.

I have no idea why this is, but whenever I open my compost-tumbler, tiny insects fly out and Francine (a female hummer I've seen 2 years running) comes over and picks them off...she seems to love these particular insects. I've got aphids too, of course, since I've got plenty of rosebushes.

My advice to any bird or butterfly lover is to avoid any pesticide if at all possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back