• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with some Orioles from Quintana Roo (Yucatan peninsula, Mexico) (1 Viewer)

arodris

Hi,

I need help to identify some orioles seen in the state of Quintana Roo, in Mexico, last august (12-13th).

Pictures 1-2 were taken in Tulum, near the beach. I think that the bird that appears in the first picture was the upper bird seen in the second one, but not sure. Can they be orange orioles?

Pictures 3-5 correspond to the same individual, seen in Akumal (within the gardens of one of the hotels). My first thought was a yellow-backed oriole, but the tail is not dark, which creates me some doubts.

Thanks,

Antonio

Attachments

• Icterus-auratus_003.jpg
    Icterus-auratus_003.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Icterus-auratus_001.jpg
    Icterus-auratus_001.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Icterus-chrysater_001.jpg
    Icterus-chrysater_001.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Icterus-chrysater_002.jpg
    Icterus-chrysater_002.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Icterus-chrysater_003.jpg
    Icterus-chrysater_003.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 22
Am wondering if 1-2 are Altamira Oriole?....Pass on the other bird.

Cheers

Thank you, KenM, for your kind help.

Altamira oriole should have a black back. In the second picture, back appears yellow-orange. I guess that it is orange oriole, but I still have doubts with the bird in the first picture, that was very near to that bird with the orange back.

Regarding the bird in the last three pictures, I have no idea on the species.

Antonio

Thank you for your help, TLeukering,

I am almost sure that the bird on the first two pictures are orange oriole. Regarding the other three pictures, I am still not sure on the correct ID. Anyway, thank you very much

Antonio

I think you're right about both, Antonio.
Like with many orioles, the tail of the young Yellow-backed is olive colored, so everything in your photos looks good to me for that species.

It's more curious to see the almost orange tail on the bird accompanying the adult Orange Oriole in the other photo. Taking the situation one would assume it is also an Orange, but I can't find any references, my literature or photos or photos online, that mention or show anything about an Orange having a tail colored like this. A light and color artifact..?

Thanks jesperbayjacobsen for your answer,

Regarding the bird accompanying the orange oriole in second picture (the same as in picture 1), I also had doubts in the field about its identitiy. I assumed that it should be also orange oriole, but my first thought was that I had two differents species (may be competing by the nest site?). My first though was also a yellow-backed oriole, as in the other three pictures, but I am not sure.

Antonio

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back