• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Morpho butterflies, banana feeder and intimidated birds (1 Viewer)

BryanP

Little known member
Canada
Heres a bit of interesting behaviour I've never witnessed till now.
Lately we've been having a regular parade of Blue Morpho butterflies visiting the banana feeder, sometimes for hours. When they do all the regular birds, (Orioles, Saltators, Scarlet-rumped, Blue grey, Palm Tanagers, Green and Red-legged Honeycreepers along with various Warblers) will sit in the branches around the feeder making a racket but not approaching the feeder.
As soon as the Morpho butterflies move on the birds resume their visits to the feeder. It never occurred to me that they would be intimidated or at least cautious in the presence of Blue Morphos who I understand may be a distasteful morsel to birds.

The only bird species that appear to not be intimidated are the Tropical Mockingbirds who will chase off the butterflies. When they do the rest of the gang jump on the feeder.
Has anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour? I know birds can get cranky with Praying Mantis but never knew butterflies would be on the list.
Cheers,
Bryan

Attachments

• 512FE7C3-5068-42D8-8ED3-949AE3F9AA40.jpeg
    512FE7C3-5068-42D8-8ED3-949AE3F9AA40.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back