• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hugh's Wild West (1 Viewer)

The Somerset Levels is a superb wetland. It is one of the top conservation assets in the UK. But as a reserve for seeing a lot of stuff quickly and easily I reckon Titchwell beats it and Minsmere comfortably.

John

I was really enjoying episode 6 until they got on to glorifying the return of the Wild Boar. At the end of the segment the focus shifted to how their numbers and destruction are getting out of hand. A good balance for the need to cull would have been exposing the damage, declining numbers to ground nesting birds. In speaking for Texas, those feral hogs are a challenge to land stewards when it comes to Northern Bobwhite and Wild Turkey.

On a positive note, those guys hanging out in the BF Insect SubForum should tune into Dr Tyler's moth trap segment......I think they'd find it interesting.

I was really enjoying episode 6 until they got on to glorifying the return of the Wild Boar. At the end of the segment the focus shifted to how their numbers and destruction are getting out of hand. A good balance for the need to cull would have been exposing the damage, declining numbers to ground nesting birds. In speaking for Texas, those feral hogs are a challenge to land stewards when it comes to Northern Bobwhite and Wild Turkey.

On a positive note, those guys hanging out in the BF Insect SubForum should tune into Dr Tyler's moth trap segment......I think they'd find it interesting.

The difference is, Wild Boar are native to Britain, so the situation with Feral Hogs in the US is not the same.

David

The difference is, Wild Boar are native to Britain, so the situation with Feral Hogs in the US is not the same.

David

Furthermore, and following from the fact that Wild Boar are native, in Britain culling in current areas should be replaced with capture of excess individuals and sounders, and transfer to new areas for colonisation e.g. the New Forest, Sherwood etc. The absence of this makes it apparent that the underlying current attitude is still heavily against recolonisation by native species, all of which have roles to play in forest management (including, in the case of Wild Boar, enforcing badly needed improved control of domestic dogs.)

John

Hugh,s wild West yesterday was the first episode I had seen.Forest of Dean was superb.Will now have to see all old episodes. Great mix of enthusiasm, respect and errors..Hugh,s voice was not a whisper as he and Robin visited boar family. Not quite as jolly hockey sticks as Winterwatch and I prefer it. Congratulations, Hugh..you have fan...

Nice to see two heteropteran bugs in the montage of beetles, and the 'Cardinal click beetle' was just a Cardinal beetle, different family to the clicks and reassuring to see that lazy editing/poor checking still exists.
Shame there wasn't more on Goshawks and less on Boar in the latest programme, but then I see wild Goshawk most days, so who am I to complain!

Furthermore, and following from the fact that Wild Boar are native, in Britain culling in current areas should be replaced with capture of excess individuals and sounders, and transfer to new areas for colonisation e.g. the New Forest, Sherwood etc. The absence of this makes it apparent that the underlying current attitude is still heavily against recolonisation by native species, all of which have roles to play in forest management (including, in the case of Wild Boar, enforcing badly needed improved control of domestic dogs.)

John

When we came to this segment of the show, and someone mentioned the lack of top predators, my eight year excitedly blurted out "introduce lynx!"

Couldn't agree more.

And while I'm here I will add my voice to those applauding this show. I think it is perfectly pitched and Mr F-W is an excellent presenter. Interested, intelligent, clearly delighted at the journey of discovery he is on and unerringly generous with the people he is showcasing, never letting any ego get in the way of letting them have the spotlight. My hat is off to him and his crew.

We bumped into them at Arne last October where they were hoping to film Sika Deer and Spoonbill. Not seen these featured yet, and we've already had the Jurassic Coast episode, so don't know if it made the cut, but the boys were very excited to see a wildlife film being made.

When we came to this segment of the show, and someone mentioned the lack of top predators, my eight year excitedly blurted out "introduce lynx!"

Couldn't agree more.

Nor could I, but there's a few Welsh councillors to be culled first, along I suspect with a number of other wussy risk-averse townies.

John

Hugh,s wild West yesterday was the first episode I had seen.Forest of Dean was superb.Will now have to see all old episodes. Great mix of enthusiasm, respect and errors..Hugh,s voice was not a whisper as he and Robin visited boar family. Not quite as jolly hockey sticks as Winterwatch and I prefer it. Congratulations, Hugh..you have fan...

My first episode too + did pick up on the two entomological blips mentioned by Bimmy. Still a very enjoyable show + will have to catch up on the others. Managed to see c35 Wild Boar (including sounders) when I had a weekend there a couple of years back.

I'm all in, an absolute fan of Hugh's production and the people in the field, can't fault any of them.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I truly don't understand why the Wild Boars in episode 6 are not considered feral hogs. If someone could lay out the differences I would appreciate it.

I won't counter any of the replies, I'll let them stand on their own merit. I prefer clarity to agreement, I would like to be educated on that which I don't know or understand. Nothing more.

Here's what brought me to my inference.

Hugh stated that the Boars were extinct for 300 years. 20 years ago some escaped from farmers and found their way to Forest Dear. He adds to that by saying more illegally released boars joined the sounder later on. As a whole, I did not see this as a re-introduced animal but a feral farm animal now multiplying in Forest Dear.

As for the boar it's self, I immediately thought hog. 300 years of being a barn yard food producing animal, I thought it had to evolve into something similar to the hogs in the States.

As for the name Wild Boar, I chalked it up to our differences such as; Buzzard = Hawk, or wild boar being a nick name for feral hog.

Seeing that this is a bird forum I am only championing my passion for birding. Here in the States feral hogs are an invasive species which threaten ground nesting birds. With that in mind, this is why I wrote the OP on this topic.

As for culling, I mention that because it's a standard practice for feral hogs in Texas. It also puts food on the table.

In closing.....It seem only logical that lynx would be a solution to the prolific breeding of the boar. In south west Texas we have the mountain lion which may or may not have some bearing on the population. I don't commit more because this area falls in the range of the Javelina and I don't know if their interactions have an adverse impact on the hog population.

That's it.....I have nothing more to say on the matter.

I appreciate your replies and look forward to reading them.

/r

Last edited:
I'm all in, an absolute fan of Hugh's production and the people in the field, can't fault any of them.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I truly don't understand why the Wild Boars in episode 6 are not considered feral hogs. If someone could lay out the differences I would appreciate it.

I won't counter any of the replies, I'll let them stand on their own merit. I prefer clarity to agreement, I would like to be educated on that which I don't know or understand. Nothing more.

Here's what brought me to my inference.

Hugh stated that the Boars were extinct for 300 years. 20 years ago some escaped from farmers and found their way to Forest Dear. He adds to that by saying more illegally released boars joined the sounder later on. As a whole, I did not see this as a re-introduced animal but a feral farm animal now multiplying in Forest Dear.

As for the boar it's self, I immediately thought hog. 300 years of being a barn yard food producing animal, I thought it had to evolve into something similar to the hogs in the States.

As for the name Wild Boar, I chalked it up to our differences such as; Buzzard = Hawk, or wild boar being a nick name for feral hog.

Seeing that this is a bird forum I am only championing my passion for birding. Here in the States feral hogs are an invasive species which threaten ground nesting birds. With that in mind, this is why I wrote the OP on this topic.

As for culling, I mention that because it's a standard practice for feral hogs in Texas. It's also puts food on the table.

In closing.....It seem only logical that lynx would be a solution to the prolific breeding of the boar. In south west Texas we have the mountain lion which may or may not have some bearing on the population. I don't commit more because this area falls in the range of the Javelina and I don't know if their interactions have an adverse impact on the hog population.

That's it.....I have nothing more to say on the matter.

I appreciate your replies and look forward to reading them.

/r

Its pretty straightforward. The Wild Boar in the Forest of Dean are not escaped domestic pigs. They are escaped Wild Boar that were being raised in enclosures to supply the demand in modern Britain for wild game that could not be met from the wild due to the extinction of Wild Boar 300 years earlier. This demand was originally a high-level restaurant thing but now Wild Boar sausages are routinely found on supermarket shelves.

There is no evolutionary difference between the Wild Boar in the Forest of Dean and those in continental Europe. After considerable debate it was decided by the authorities that as native wild animals they ought to be allowed to stay, subject to management as is undertaken for UK deer populations (both native and alien introductions) due to the absence of control by top predators.

The situation is not in any way parallel to the USA's (and do I recall it being an issue in parts of Australia as well?) problem with feral hogs, which were not Wild Boar when they arrived in North America let alone after escape and generations of wild breeding. You also have wild horses (mustangs?) which are descended from escaped domestics IIRC. These also have no parallel with a truly wild animal and are not native to North America.

John

Finally catching up with this series. Started with episode 2 tonight (ep 1 is being repeated in a few days). These kinds of programmes can be entirely charming. They show off the best of professional and amateur naturalists at work and you get a glimpse of the wildlife around our country, some of which don't often feature in other series.

This series reminds me of another series a few years back where they devoted an episode each to a particular group of amateurs, whether they were studying butterflies or other group of animals.

The section showing the guy studying the carnivorous plants in this episode also reminded me in a small way of a short series where Jimmy Doherty replicated Charles Darwin's experiments - here's the first episode of that series if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_L_rAUuHg

.....a short series where Jimmy Doherty replicated Charles Darwin's experiments - here's the first episode of that series if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_L_rAUuHg

At the 49:40 mark, the hog is mentioned as an example of evolution tracing it back to the Wild Boar. Nothing elaborate, just how evolution takes place as well as the current existence of the Wild Boar, which was my initial doubt. If I would have seen this video prior to HWW epi # 6 I could have avoided Farnboro John schooling.

I enjoyed the Darwin's Garden: Dangerous Ideas vid however, it left me wanting more of the series which has a total of 3 episodes. There's only one on youtube and same for my streaming sites. Oh well.....

I also came across https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/humongous-wild-boar-dubbed-pigzilla-12011991this article in the Mirror about a Humongous wild boar dubbed PIGZILLA. Somewhere in the article there's mention of a wild boar in the Forest Dean that ate off a man's finger....I don't know what to believe on the internet anymore.

Thanks for the referral, appreciate it.

I also came across https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/humongous-wild-boar-dubbed-pigzilla-12011991this article in the Mirror about a Humongous wild boar dubbed PIGZILLA. Somewhere in the article there's mention of a wild boar in the Forest Dean that ate off a man's finger....I don't know what to believe on the internet anymore.

Looks a normal sized Wild Boar to me.

With any of the British "red tops" - Mirror, Sun, Mail etc - the best thing to believe is nothing.

However, venturing into the realm of total speculation I particularly don't believe the story about a ninja Wild Boar that sneaked silently up to a man who had a dog with him and then bit off his finger. The dog did nothing in the night-time..... that was the curious incident.

Far more likely scenarios start with (a) his own dog bit off his finger in a freak accident (b) someone else's dog bit off his finger as he was trying to separate them from fighting with each other and he was paid off by the other owner to not insist on the dog's destruction (c) insert random act of domestic violence here.

Other stories of marauding wildlife in the UK that I don't believe include pretty much any about foxes trying to predate babies - I have no doubt whatever (more speculation here) that the origin of all of them is improperly trained, uncontrolled aggressive status dogs. That occasionally urban foxes follow their noses into houses I believe: that a desperate one accidentally cornered might snap at someone while trying to escape I find plausible; but the tales extolled in Britain's dreadful populist rags I disbelieve entirely.

John

I enjoyed the Darwin's Garden: Dangerous Ideas vid however, it left me wanting more of the series which has a total of 3 episodes. There's only one on youtube and same for my streaming sites. Oh well.....

I've not watched them on YouTube so I don't know if the whole programmes are there, but these links are to the other two episodes:

https://youtu.be/QgmvleLrq74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MykyElyL1To&list=PLFF9CB76BFD58C32F (this one is part of a playlist with the programme broken down into smaller chunks).

I've not watched them on YouTube so I don't know if the whole programmes are there, but these links are to the other two episodes:

https://youtu.be/QgmvleLrq74

The up-loader got confused during the video processing. This video is 1:45 minutes long but it's only the 2nd epi combined/duplicate twice with a tad bit cut off at the start of the second viewing. I think the original 2nd epi is 57 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MykyElyL1To&list=PLFF9CB76BFD58C32F (this one is part of a playlist with the programme broken down into smaller chunks).

There's 4 segments in this batch. It must be the 3rd final epi edited down cutting out the fluff.

It was all good, I enjoyed it.

I think HWW epi # 7 is tonight although, for me, it doesn't hit the streams till tomorrow. I think this week's showcase is on Buzzards...??

Lookin' forward to it.

I think HWW epi # 7 is tonight although, for me, it doesn't hit the streams till tomorrow. I think this week's showcase is on Buzzards...??

Lookin' forward to it.

Buteo buteo, the Common Buzzard, the Eurasian equivalent of the Red-tailed Hawk. The original “buzzard”, the name was transposed to New World Vultures by English-speaking settlers. The Common Buzzard is, as its name suggests, the commonest largish raptor in Europe.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back