• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat (?), rural East Anglia (2 Viewers)

ialarmedalien

Can someone identify this bird, photographed in farmland in Suffolk? I think it's a whitethroat, but would be grateful for confirmation. Thank you!

Attachments

• little-brown-bird.jpg
    little-brown-bird.jpg
    933.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Certainly looks to be a Common Whitethroat. Not certain if a juvenile can be easily sexed visually if it's just recently fledged.

Looks like an adult female to me, juveniles would show pale fringing on the coverts and remidges, as well as a fairly obvious yellow gape line this early on in the year.

Agree with female Common Whitethroat. In spring when caught and careful examination of plumage (esp. tail)/iris colour is possible they can be aged 2nd calender year or older. In field it is much harder. In my experience a bird this brown without any greyish feathers often is a 2cy bird...

You are right Simon! Forgot to mention that I agree it is no recently fledged. Just wanted to make the point that some older birds even can be aged as 2cy or older...

Original post has been edited to remove the suggestion of its age and sex, resulting in replies seemingly slightly out of context.
Pat

Last edited:
Original post has been edited to remove the suggestion of its age and sex, resulting in replies seemingly slightly out of context.
Pat

You caught me - I was trying to hide the evidence of my ignorance! Basically any extra information beyond the species is helpful, so possible age, sex, etc., is all of interest.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back