• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodberry Wetlands London vs London Wetland Centre (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Hi All
I have a trip to London tomorrow and have a choice between the London Wetland Centre and Woodberry Wetlands - which would you chose? I have been to Wetland Centre twice in a September and November.

I am a member of the WWT so for me no cost in going to the Wetland Centre and on the plus side it has a Iberian Chiffchaff there - Woodberry is free so the other 2 people going with me would save £20.

What is the difference in terms of what wildlife we would see avian and non-avian? How big are they compared to one another?

Check the London Birders website for recent sightings - might be something around at either site you or your party are keen to see. London WWT was quiet in terms of bird numbers today.

Note also the Iberian Chiffchaff isn't at WWT itself but the site is close by. The bird has been elusive though based on sighting reports

Hi Mathare

I managed to visit Woodberry Wetlands first on the Sunday which was a very warm day and every body was out so we had difficulty finding a place to park and then there were throngs of people walking around the reserve. It is small but quite a nice spot in such a large city and definitely a popular spot with the trendy North London crowd. I was with a wildlife photographer and friend from London who is not interested in wildlife. He did see his first two woodpecker species Green and Great as well as a plethora of warblers including Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Sedge, Reed and surprisingly or should I say unsurprisingly Cetti's. My non-birding friend was impressed by my knowledge of bird song - HA! There were Pochard as well as two drake Crested Pochard as well.

At the Wetland Centre we had less time although saw usual resident species - a week later we may have seen that Little Bittern! We did not see any passage migrants or other rarities except a Red Crested Pochard Drake and Cetti's Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back