• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

I was driving home on the old Barnstaple to Exeter road and got to New Bridge (just the other side of Bishops Tawton) and I thought I saw a Black Swan in amongst a group of 4 Mute Swans.

I could be wrong but I was driving.

Not a great find I know but I has anyone else seen one in the area?

The black swan has been around for a while there along wth a whooper mixing with the mutes

Darryl

Taw torridge!!!

Had a good afternoon yesterday with a greenshank at fremington creek, 6spoonbill along with a spotted redshank and a hungry Peregrine all at Isley Marsh.

Darryl

Attachments

• P1020241 - Copy [640x480].JPG
    P1020241 - Copy [640x480].JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 99
  • P1020257 [640x480].JPG
    P1020257 [640x480].JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Cracking views of a male Dartford Warbler preening on a bramble at Baggy this morning for about 5 minutes in great light, and no wind, also, of course, no camera....
Out on the Great Field this evening, again in calm conditions as dusk fell, and a Little Owl called from the barn beyond the round Linhay, then popped up onto the roof, continuing to call. Nice end to the day.

Jon

Hey, im new to this site and would really like to spot more birds then what currently comes into the garden, does anyone do like regular meet ups for watching, or is it just get up and go? Cos id love to go sometime to do some proper bird watching, altho im not up on my birds 100% its a start. Im just along the road from slapton, guess most of you know it, so im hoping i can make the most of thier reserve and go bird watching sometime

but yeah, any other best places for bird watching?

thanks!

You could join the Devon Bird Watching & Preservation Society, Staysee, they have regular field meetings all around the county. And by joining you'd be helping the birds too.

The Membership Secretary is Paul Stubbs, 7 Plymouth Hill, Princetown, Yelverton PL20 6QG phone 01822 890520; and the annual subscription is £15.

Or you could just turn up at one of their meets and see if it suits you.

There's one at Beesands SX817406 at 09:30 on Tuesday 3 Feb.

You could join the Devon Bird Watching & Preservation Society, Staysee, they have regular field meetings all around the county. And by joining you'd be helping the birds too.

The Membership Secretary is Paul Stubbs, 7 Plymouth Hill, Princetown, Yelverton PL20 6QG phone 01822 890520; and the annual subscription is £15.

Cheers, thats not a bad price for an annual subscription, my only problem is transport, but im sure my dad would like to do it too, dont think im too far from beesands, do any of you here go along to these meetings?

Checked the ponds at Thornery this morning, and found 30+ Goosanders there. I think they must be those that were at tamar lakes - when I went, I couldn't find any! No sign of the "Snow Goose"
Then cycled home from Barnstaple to Braunton, the estuary was notable for big flocks of Golden Plover - several thousand. Also 6 Black-tailed Godwit.

Jon

da2m

If you want Red-legged Partridge, then go to Chiverstone Farm near Kenton. There seem to be plenty in fields around the farm (plus a healthy number of Brambling in the finch flock there!). :t: Grey Partridge are now very scarce in Devon - I haven't got any regular sites for them - if you get to know one in East Devon, please let me know!

Cheers

Terry
cheers terry, i'll give it a shot. i have tried before but lucked out.

Checked the ponds at Thornery this morning, and found 30+ Goosanders there. I think they must be those that were at tamar lakes - when I went, I couldn't find any! No sign of the "Snow Goose"
Then cycled home from Barnstaple to Braunton, the estuary was notable for big flocks of Golden Plover - several thousand. Also 6 Black-tailed Godwit.

Jon

Hi Jon

wheres Thorney new one on me, I hate to think i was missing anything.

Stu

Staysee

You can down load a membership form from the website just put DBWPS into your search engine. I've just joined myself its worth it for the welcome pack alone, brilliant value for money.
i'm green with envy if you live in the slapton area what a brilliant spot!!!

Stu

Hi Jon

wheres Thorney new one on me, I hate to think i was missing anything.

Stu

From Bideford head west towards Cornwall, about 300 metres before the mini roundabout to Clovelly is a turning (left) to Woolsery - take it and about 200 metres on the right is the entry to a 'lake complex'.

I just drove in, nothing to say I couldn't, but there are lots of lodges around the presumably fishing lakes, so a degree of sensitivity is called for I think. The lakes are not huge, but there are several of them. I suspected there was some water there for a long time but this is the first time I've been there. A large flock of Canada Geese was in the adjoining fields. Not much else, but I didn't feel entirely comfortable hanging around with optics etc....

Jon

From Bideford head west towards Cornwall, about 300 metres before the mini roundabout to Clovelly is a turning (left) to Woolsery - take it and about 200 metres on the right is the entry to a 'lake complex'.

I just drove in, nothing to say I couldn't, but there are lots of lodges around the presumably fishing lakes, so a degree of sensitivity is called for I think. The lakes are not huge, but there are several of them. I suspected there was some water there for a long time but this is the first time I've been there. A large flock of Canada Geese was in the adjoining fields. Not much else, but I didn't feel entirely comfortable hanging around with optics etc....

Jon

It always was private land owned by a farmer called Symonds. I feel a phone call coming on as I deal with his Nephew if i get any more info I will post it.

Stu

Hey, im new to this site and would really like to spot more birds then what currently comes into the garden, does anyone do like regular meet ups for watching, or is it just get up and go? Cos id love to go sometime to do some proper bird watching, altho im not up on my birds 100% its a start. Im just along the road from slapton, guess most of you know it, so im hoping i can make the most of thier reserve and go bird watching sometime

but yeah, any other best places for bird watching?

thanks!

Hello Staysee,
if you live within walking distance of Slapton Ley there are few better places for learning about and getting to grips with birds than Slapton Ley. You are lucky to have a place like that close to home. Because of the different habitats ( woods, sea, beach, reedbeds etc ) you'll see most of the common stuff there as well as have a chance of seeing something more unusual. It is also good any time of year. You have probably seen the ringing hut just above Slapton Bridge. If you walk around the back there is a white box with a log book inside which should have the latest sightings. As others have said if you are interested in local birds joining the DBWPS is essential. Also check the link at the bottom of this post for the latest Devon bird sightings and to post in the good birds you will soon see at Slapton if you put the time in.Good luck. :t:
Perry

Little Owl by the canal at Westleigh puts me on a high as it is finally my 100th species on the canal list. Also a couple of Little Grebes and a Cormorant there.

Thanks to Roger (devon.birder) for the word about the owl.

Attachments

• Little Owl, 31st January 2009, NET.jpg
    Little Owl, 31st January 2009, NET.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 95
found a red legged partridge just outside of kenton as promised. thanks for the pointers folks.

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 104
6 Little Gulls (4 adults and 2 first winters) still this afternoon at Brixham Breakwater close inshore viewable from the car park. No sign of the Grey Phal off Living Coasts, Torquay late morning though 7 Purple Sands on the rocks there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back