• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

phalarope flock off San Francisco (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Hi all,

I came across WHAT I THINK is a mixed flock of
phalaropes. I am not familiar with this genus but
took a shot at the IDs. Lifebird is in the balance.
Taken this past weekend off the coast of SFO.

1 Red
2 Red
3 Red
4 Red-necked
5 Red-necked
6 Red
7 Red-necked
8 Red

Attachments

• JV8A5622 PH1a.jpg
    JV8A5622 PH1a.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 51
  • JV8A5622 PH2a.jpg
    JV8A5622 PH2a.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 52
  • JV8A5622 PH5a.jpg
    JV8A5622 PH5a.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I looked at the pictures before I looked at your identifications, and my identifications where the same as yours.

Well well, I am living proof that you're never too old to learn!
I didn't realise mixed Grey (sorry, Red) and Red-necked occurred in mixed flocks like this, I hadn't heard of such instances on the European side of the pond.
Plus it was only the first week of August last week, I suppose these will be females who leave the males to do the parenting and head off on migration earlier?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back