• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help ID (1 Viewer)

countryboy2

Wondering what kind of woodpecker this is. At 100 Mile House, Central British Columbia.

Attachments

• screenshot_4544.jpg
    screenshot_4544.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 39
  • screenshot_4545.jpg
    screenshot_4545.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 34
Typically, yellow bellied sapsuckers don't go that far west, but it's still possible. It is often really tough to tell the difference between a yellow bellied sapsucker juvenile and a red naped sapsucker juvenile, but your location alone makes me want to say Red Naped Sapsucker. :)

When was this photo taken? They molt at different times, that could aid in the ID.

Here is a (not so great) photo of a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker juvenile a couple months ago for comparison. It was extremely difficult to capture the entire body through the leaves/branches in the trees, but just look at the white stripes on his face. I wish you could see his wings more in this photo, but there were lots of black and white bars.

In the photos I have seen online, a yellow bellied sapsucker has more extensive white barring to them. They are also rumored to hybridize near that area, which makes this even tougher!

Attachments

• rsz_yellowbelly.jpg
    rsz_yellowbelly.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back