• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (1 Viewer)

When I opened the kitchen door this morning, at first light around 0635, there was a bat actively feeding around the tree tops in my back garden. I think it wasn't a pip species, as it did appear slightly larger, with a very straight line flight at height then a sudden dip down or straight up, all despite the quite cool temperature at the time.

When I opened the kitchen door this morning, at first light around 0635, there was a bat actively feeding around the tree tops in my back garden. I think it wasn't a pip species, as it did appear slightly larger, with a very straight line flight at height then a sudden dip down or straight up, all despite the quite cool temperature at the time.

Not sure if anyone else has responded, could have been Natterer's. not very common but they hunt food off leaves and have been known to take flies out of spider webs!
A few around here in Norfolk
Sacha

Thanks Sacha, have borrowed a detector to confirm the identification. P

I've had trouble distinguishing Natterer's from Pips with the detectors as I think they are similar frequency. They do tend to behave a bit differently..
Would be interesting to know what you think they are
S

Warham hare

From the concrete pad at the western track, Warham

Just after a ring-tailed hen harrier had headed west over the fields a hare strode onto the track heading towards Wells.

A bit mobile but close enough for a photograph.

Attachments

• Warham hare.JPG
    Warham hare.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 95
Bat ID?

Thanks Sacha, have borrowed a detector to confirm the identification. P

Hi Pyrtle,

Sorry for the late response.

The description you have given of the flight style and size of bat sounds like it might be a Noctule. I regularly get them in my garden and I believe they are a widespread Bat in Norfolk.

However, I guess the only way to be sure is with a Bat Detector.

Would be interesting to find out how you got on.

I had 2 probable Noctule bats in my garden a week ago at dusk. A passing Sparrowhawk went for one...I am not sure if it was successful or not.

Regards

Steve

Fantastic if brief view of a Badger near its sett on private land close to Norwich this evening. From my friends hide we waited motionless for about an hour (he said pretty much like clockwork they usually show at 8) until from behind a thick bracken patch we suddenly saw almost like an apparition a big black and white stripey face of one of this years cubs. My friend has been putting food down but leaving clothes out so it will get used to human smells, but this time it had clearly twigged we were there, checked us out cautiously turned in profile on a thick branch and then was gone. Although very brief almost a more exciting view than if it had come out to feed due to its wild wariness. Thrilled to bits, only ever seen one Badger before and never in Norfolk.

Hi Pyrtle,

Sorry for the late response.

The description you have given of the flight style and size of bat sounds like it might be a Noctule. I regularly get them in my garden and I believe they are a widespread Bat in Norfolk.

However, I guess the only way to be sure is with a Bat Detector.

Would be interesting to find out how you got on.

I had 2 probable Noctule bats in my garden a week ago at dusk. A passing Sparrowhawk went for one...I am not sure if it was successful or not.

Regards

Steve
Not many Noctules around here (near Reepham) trapped just one (during a few weeks of satellite tagging with a group from Bristol Uni about a month ago).. In amongst about 20 Noctule and lots of Pips.
Noctules are noticeably big and I have seen them out quite early in evening (Thetford area) so could well be this sps

S

Fantastic if brief view of a Badger near its sett on private land close to Norwich this evening. From my friends hide we waited motionless for about an hour (he said pretty much like clockwork they usually show at 8) until from behind a thick bracken patch we suddenly saw almost like an apparition a big black and white stripey face of one of this years cubs. My friend has been putting food down but leaving clothes out so it will get used to human smells, but this time it had clearly twigged we were there, checked us out cautiously turned in profile on a thick branch and then was gone. Although very brief almost a more exciting view than if it had come out to feed due to its wild wariness. Thrilled to bits, only ever seen one Badger before and never in Norfolk.

They are such an icon of British Wildlife, I hope the cull doesn't spread towards us! (Or even goes ahead )
A few around here but rarely see them on the roads at night.
S

Not the most exotic of mammals but when I came home tonight I was pleased to see two small Hedgehogs in the passageway leading to my house. They were about 6-7 inches long so I hope they will grow enough to survive the winter.

According to Ann Widdecombe, Hedgehogs are struggling badly at the moment but I see plenty of them near me on the east coast. Is everybody else still seeing them regularly?

Ron

Not many Noctules around here (near Reepham) trapped just one (during a few weeks of satellite tagging with a group from Bristol Uni about a month ago).. In amongst about 20 Noctule and lots of Pips.
Noctules are noticeably big and I have seen them out quite early in evening (Thetford area) so could well be this sps

S

Thanks for the info Sacha. It is interesting to learn that Natterers are more commonly trapped than Noctule bats. I guess that Noctules may appear more common because they are more easily identified/detected because of the size, charasteristic flight behaviour and distinctive "Clip Clop" call on a bat detector. Certainly easier to idenify by novices like myself.;)

Cheers

Steve

Pipistrelle on the wing Wednesday evening, in our village, at last night. Watched it feeding up and down a lane at six feet above the ground - thought it was quite late in the year to still be active.

Has anyone got any latest information on the seals at Horsey? I'd like to visit again when the pups are young, we usually leave it until after Christmas but they are mainly quite big by then. Thought it would be nice to go early this year..

Many thanks

Jo

There are a few on the beach but another week or so until they pup. You should get great pics just dont get between mother and the big bull seals and their pups :)

My wife and I went last Thursday and the wardens had just counted 78 pups.
Obviously far more cows and several bulls offshore.
1 or 2 common seals on the beach and three cranes showing well but distantly.

Lat years pup total was just over 500, so still a little way to go.

I went to Horsey Gap this morning. Weather was pretty dire, but there are enough seals to make the trip worthwhile. I set out to walk along the top of the dunes to the observation point, but gave up after 5 minutes because I'd seen enough.

Attachments

• SG1L8249a.jpg
    SG1L8249a.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 108
Finally connected with Otter in Thetford on Friday at dusk. Sadly, my attempts at a photo were hugely disappointing (to say the least) but hopefully I will have more luck next time...

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back