• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cumuli Bubble In The Blue (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
The dew boils off the bramble bank driven by the early morning sun, where a Whitethroat churrs its alarm as two pristine Sparrowhawks pass low overhead, their presence predicted by ten Mistle thrushes taking flight seconds before.
Fifty or more Jackdaws, put up by a passing Kestrel, settle again amongst the drying hay - still in rows in the field, where last night a Grey partridge called.
Five Buzzards find the first thermals and begin to spiral, while a flock of Long-tailed tits flits by. Goldcrests call and Robins tick. Two Cormorants circle and continue east.
Two Sand martins fly due south and, a mile further, a Hobby demands my attention as it streaks obliquely towards unseen prey, passes the half moon and its craters before disappearing behind trees on my horizon.
Cumuli bubble in the blue.
The day continues towards sultry after its autumnal start. A Kestrel sits atop the hay ridge now, its legs showing yellow against the straw. Swallows sing; a Nuthatch calls from the oak; a wasp chews wood by my ear. A Holly blue, underwing shining silvery, settles on honeysuckle.
Blackbirds hack at apples; a small white butterflies by; a Blackcap tacks from the brambles; the breeze brushes the poplars.
Time for tea & scones.
Two Herons over very low, one squawking.
The day hots up: I watch a Hobby approach from the east, simultaneously I hear another overhead; looking up I see two high above me, the first one turns south. All three are gone in seconds.
The sun reaches its zenith in an impossibly blue sky, all clouds gone.
A Sparrowhawk lands in next-door's tree. A Yellow wagtail calls as it passes.
Don't you wish you had been off work too today.

Halftwo

Moderators - we need a Creative Writing Forum, along with the Art and Photography!!!!

Excellent observations Halftwo - it really reflects your knowledge of birds and other wildlife but superbly subtle at the same time

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back