• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Bill Grebe in Morganton (1 Viewer)

David in NC

This is not supposedly a rare bird but it's the first I have encountered as a fairly new birdwatcher.

I was birding in Morganton and this bird was on the pond on the road leading into Western Piedmont Community College. I had quite a good time watching it paddle and dive.

Boy these little water birds spend as much time UNDER water as on top! I watched it as it swam to the middle of the pond diving every so often, then as it made it's way to the edge and worked the edge just a few feet off the back for about thirty minutes.

One of the more unusual bird experiences I've had was with a Pied-billed Grebe that had landed into my brother's little frog pond one night. In attempting to get airborne by its usual running start, the poor bird ended at the base of a short retaining wall in a deep and soft bed of grass and clover. Alerted by my brother, my wife and I captured it (wish we'd got that on video!) and released it a nearby lake where Grebes typically winter over. One could imagine that was one very happy bird when it realized the ordeal was over.

Steve

Attachments

• Pied-billed Grebe.jpg
    Pied-billed Grebe.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Grebe.jpg
    Grebe.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back