• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! L.A. to S.F. in 2 days late June. (1 Viewer)

Common Raven

Greetings,
I am planning a trip (by car) from Los Angeles to San Francisco by car in late June. I would like to know what suggestions you would have for stopping at 3-4 places for birding, for about 2-3 hours at a time. I will be taking 2 days total for the one-way trip. I am aware of Joe Morlan's site, however, it all seems so overwhelming, I'm almost more confused now than when I started! I will probably go up US101, but aside from that, I'm open to any areas. If possible, I would like for stops to focus more on land birds than pelagic, but again, I'm open to either.
Thanks for any help!
Elias Zuniga

Common Raven said:
Greetings,
I am planning a trip (by car) from Los Angeles to San Francisco by car in late June. I would like to know what suggestions you would have for stopping at 3-4 places for birding, for about 2-3 hours at a time. I will be taking 2 days total for the one-way trip. I am aware of Joe Morlan's site, however, it all seems so overwhelming, I'm almost more confused now than when I started! I will probably go up US101, but aside from that, I'm open to any areas. If possible, I would like for stops to focus more on land birds than pelagic, but again, I'm open to either.
Thanks for any help!
Elias Zuniga

In late June, it can be quite hot anywhere between L.A. and S.F., but it's probably not too late in the season for good land birding. Pinnacles National Monument (near Soledad off Highway 101) can be good for a quick birding jaunt, but be sure to be there early in the morning as it gets blazing hot. Habitat is primary chaparral and rocky with some riparian and oak woodland. You could see some of the California Condors which sometimes hang out in the High Peaks area in the middle of the park. In San Francisco proper, Golden Gate Park is very good. My favorite spots there are Chain of Lakes and Stow Lake.

As your departure date approaches, check sialia.com for the compendium of reports from the various California birding list serves. Do you have any specific target birds?

Thanks for your suggestion; I will look into that. I've only been birding for 1+1/2 years, only in L.A. County (plus a week in the Grand Canyon last year). I still have much difficulty with shorebirds, hence my hesitation to focus on them. The only bird I'd really like to see is one I know I can see on the way there but not down in L.A. - the yellow billed magpie.

Common Raven said:
Thanks for your suggestion; I will look into that. I've only been birding for 1+1/2 years, only in L.A. County (plus a week in the Grand Canyon last year). I still have much difficulty with shorebirds, hence my hesitation to focus on them. The only bird I'd really like to see is one I know I can see on the way there but not down in L.A. - the yellow billed magpie.

There is supposed to be a place in Santa Barbara County for Yellow-billed Magpie, but I don't know where it is. I have seen them near the east entrance to Pinnacles NM. In the Bay Area, you have to inland a bit to see them - good spots to see include Sunol Regional Wilderness and the first 5 miles of Mines Road (starting from Tesla) going south from Livermore. This website has photos of Yellow-billed Magpie from Ed Levin County Park east of Milpitas and from the Camp Roberts Rest Stop on Highway 101!

Sorry to chime in on this so late, but if you haven't already gotten a copy, you should get Brad Schram's "A Birder's Guide to Southern California." It's published by the ABA and can be bought on their website (since you have lots of time) or through the LA Audubon bookstore in West Hollywood in Plummer Park on Santa Monica Blvd. It's about $25, I believe. I can't remember how far north it goes (I sold mine to a visiting Canadian couple I met when camping so can't look it up) but I know it goes as far as Monterey.

I think Yellow-billed Magpies must love Hwy 101. ;) That's where I saw my first one, just sitting on a wooden railing on the east side of the road. No, I don't remember where that was, it was years and years ago, but I was shocked it was so easily found.

I wish I could be more helpful about specific sites north of Ventura, but it's just been too many years since I birded up that way, I'd rely on Schram's book to plan a trip myself.

BTW, are you a member of Calbirds? It's a Yahoo group and it's got great info all the time about what birds are being seen where/when all over California. :t:

Katy Penland said:
Sorry to chime in on this so late, but if you haven't already gotten a copy, you should get Brad Schram's "A Birder's Guide to Southern California." It's published by the ABA and can be bought on their website (since you have lots of time) or through the LA Audubon bookstore in West Hollywood in Plummer Park on Santa Monica Blvd. It's about $25, I believe. I can't remember how far north it goes (I sold mine to a visiting Canadian couple I met when camping so can't look it up) but I know it goes as far as Monterey.

I think Yellow-billed Magpies must love Hwy 101. ;) That's where I saw my first one, just sitting on a wooden railing on the east side of the road. No, I don't remember where that was, it was years and years ago, but I was shocked it was so easily found.

I wish I could be more helpful about specific sites north of Ventura, but it's just been too many years since I birded up that way, I'd rely on Schram's book to plan a trip myself.

BTW, are you a member of Calbirds? It's a Yahoo group and it's got great info all the time about what birds are being seen where/when all over California. :t:
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. I will look up Calbirds & get a copy of that book.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back