• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Transmissions curve leica vs zeiss vs swarovski on Allbinos ? (1 Viewer)

Chris223

I was looking at the curve from this different brands and saw that so particular curve on swarovski binos !

Allbino stated that : "What’s more, its transmission decreases very quickly at extremes of the visible spectrum – such a strong decline hasn’t been observed in any of the Swarovski’s serious competitor."

His argument is a non sense because noone will see beyond Infrared.....(maybe the autor :-O, or with an IR device).

But that's not the point : Do you think swaro did it to minimise infrared transmission to retina ?

Not sure why they would do this with a civilian binocular.

So far as sunlight is concerned, if it was bright enough to do harm, I think more harm would come from visible light than infra red.

Without inside information one can only guess, maybe the curve is the one that resulted from their best balance of visible light.

The light transmitted through the binocular is determined by the many, many layers of anti-reflection coatings. Each layer prevents the reflection of a quite narrow band of light frequencies and so allows that that band of frequencies to pass through the binocular and reach the eye.

Where the transmission graph shows a drop in the light passing through the binocular is where Swaro has not applied an anti-reflection coating to gather the light of that frequency so it can pass through the binos. So the drop in the transmission of light of infra-red frequencies happens because Swaro has not used a coating to enable the transmission of those frequencies, and since they are not visible, why would they?

This is my understanding of how this works, and I am always happy to be corrected,

Lee

There is some debate as to where the actual boundaries between the invisible and visible spectra but it certainly extends beyond the 400nm to 700nm band that you often see in high school text books. 380nm to 800nm is probably nearer the mark, but there is quite a bit of variation between individuals. I'm not sure which of the Allbinos reviews you are referring to but the one for the EL Swarovision 10x42 says "it decreased very quickly for the wavelengths higher than 670 nm and lower than 440 nm". I'd certainly find that very obvious. However that was the discription for the older model and they were actually praising the improved spectrum of the current one. I personally think even that has been bettered by some on the market now.

David

Last edited:
There is some debate as to where the actual boundaries between the invisible and visible spectra but it certainly extends beyond the 400nm to 700nm band that you often see in high school text books. 380nm to 800nm is probably nearer the mark, but there is quite a bit of variation between individuals. I'm not sure which of the Allbinos reviews you are referring to but the one for the EL Swarovision 10x42 says "it decreased very quickly for the wavelengths higher than 670 nm and lower than 440 nm". I'd certainly find that very obvious. However that was the discription for the older model and they were actually praising the improved spectrum of the current one. I personally think even that has been bettered by some on the market now.

David

What separates yellow from green? For Dave, or Judy, or Billy Bob, or Michelle, or .... :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back