• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orchid just appeared in garden - Bee Orchid? (1 Viewer)

cgilbert

England
Hi,

I've been leaving my grass to grow a bit wild this year and have just noticed what I think is a Bee Orchid in the grass - see image. It stands about 6" tall, with very short leaves at the base. I am amazed at this, as I live in a town, all be it about 1/2 mile from the edge, but still, I would not have expected this in my garden.

Any views on why its suddenly appeared?

Cliff.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 64
Hi,

I've been leaving my grass to grow a bit wild this year and have just noticed what I think is a Bee Orchid in the grass - see image. It stands about 6" tall, with very short leaves at the base. I am amazed at this, as I live in a town, all be it about 1/2 mile from the edge, but still, I would not have expected this in my garden.

Any views on why its suddenly appeared?

Cliff.

Hi Cliff

What a fantastic surprise and privilege to have a Bee orchid on your lawn! Like all orchids, Bee orchids produce tiny dust-like seeds that can be carried great distances on the wind so they can appear anywhere if the conditions are correct for them to germinate. The Bee orchid is unusual in that it often colonises disturbed ground where it may flower en masse for a few years and then disappear. Let's hope yours sticks around and maybe you'll develop a little population. Just make sure you don't cut the grass until after it's gone to seed (obviously!)

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back