• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavour ED IV? (1 Viewer)

Calvin,

I suppose I was remiss in not stating that the rim of the eye cup should be in the rotated down position.

Still not very scientific... but shining a light source through the objective, and moving a piece of plain white card back and forth at the eyepiece until the circle of light on the card is at its smallest and brightest gives a very crude measurement (bendy plastic coated wire and a ruler) of between 14-15mm to the edge of the fully retracted eye-cup. There is perhaps 1.5mm (again very crudely measured) between the ocular surface and the rim of the fully retracted eye-cup.

If (big if) I'm on the right track here that would put the physical eye relief of the binocular somewhere between 15.5 and 16.5mm (which kind of tallies with the result of my earlier, ass-backward approach of measuring the distance between the ocular and the rim of the fully extended eye-cup), and a useable eye-relief somewhere between 14-15mm.

Again, let me qualify, these measurements are a) very crude and b) I'm not even sure the approach is valid for eye-relief measurement. The actual figures could be significantly different -- although it looks like the 19mm quoted on the box is perhaps a bit of a stretch.

Are there any 10x42 bins out there with 19mm eye relief?

Anyway... I hope all that is in some way useful.

Cheers,

Calvin!

Has anyone else gotten their hands on the EDIV? They still list as being 'sold out' on the manufacturer's website.

Calvin,

My Swaro EL SV bins have stated eye relief distances of 19 and 20 mm but the glass of the eyepieces is recessed by about 5mm. I am not aware of any alpha bins with longer stated eye relief although some BFers imply that some Zeiss bins have longer.

According to Pete Gamby of Opticron, the ER of their bins is measured as available ER.

"We measure from the outmost/top edge of the eyepiece in its lowest position (twisted down or folded down) to the point at which the exit pupil diameter is measured to be at it's maximum/optimum e.g. 5.25mm for an 8x42 binocular. This is done using a device with an extendable tube which projects the exit pupil onto a semi-translucent sheet with a scale."

Many Opticrons have stated eye relief of 19mm or more.

Has anyone else gotten their hands on the EDIV? They still list as being 'sold out' on the manufacturer's website.

My wife owns 10x42 EDIV since five monthes now.

I bought 10x42 EDII one year ago for replacing Trinovid, and I find it very good (Just sometimes a thin blue halo in the periphery against the light, but much better than Trinovid !)
I don't see big difference between EDII and EDIV. Image is a little more contrasted on EDIV, but not really much more bright. The perception of details is the same. There is the same thin blue halo in backlight.
I don't know why, but the dioptric adjustment is difficult with the new system.

In summary, EDII and EDIV are excellent binos, and I find EDIV marks a little progress in contrast.

Important little detail ! The cover and the belt are much better designed on EDIV !

Last edited:
they must be having some major problem with the new model, either in the unit itself or in the manufacturing set up.....because they are loosing a lot of sales and planting a lot of doubts among potential American customers....

they must be having some major problem with the new model, either in the unit itself or in the manufacturing set up.....because they are loosing a lot of sales and planting a lot of doubts among potential American customers....

I think it's pretty clear that Vanguard managed to get themselves in a bit of a muddle with the EDIV. Perhaps there is a EDV, (or is that an ED III?) on the way? Anyone heard?

David

Maybe diopter problem. Had two different units last year with the same deffective diopter issue. Maybe the central diopter was a bad choice for vanguard ed IV.

Not sure what's going on, but a few months back i went and tried the IV against my own EDII and thought the EDII a far better set. It seemed to me that the plusses of the EDII (the edge-to-edge sharpness and the fast focus) had been lost without any particular advantageous replacements.
I still think the EDII is a classic - any improvements to that line could have been to slow the focus just a little (just!), use di-electric coatings, brighten the view for a bit more use at the extremes of the day and perhaps a smidge wider FoV. If you're a fan of this line, it might be a good time to pick up a cheaper EDII....
The EDIV seems to have gone off on another route, well-trodden by other makes.

I've been trying to hold fire on this conclusion to see if anyone else felt the same, but it might just be me anyway......

I have a 10.5 x 45 Endeavor ED that I purchased after the EDII was already in production....got it a little cheaper that way....Was going to compare it with the EDIV 10 X 42 but it looks like I will be staying with the 10.5 ED....which I fine as it is very nice bin and the slightly larger format is kind of unique.....

Last edited:
I'm told Vanguard have been listening and we should look out for something in June. No further detail I'm afraid.

David

I purchased the 8x42 edII last September. Smooth focuser, great eye relief, optics are fine. It is my regular workhorse along with a Tract Toric 8x42. The Allbinos review indicated that the coatings could be improved to increase light transmission, which is what I was hoping the EDIV would be touted for. They seemed to have gone in another direction. What was wrong with the locking diopter that they had? I guess we'll find out in a few months. I would have been satisfied with an EDII+.

I have the 8x42 EDII and the 10x42 EDIV, both fine binoculars, but of the two I'd pick the EDIV (that's assuming my 10x42 SLC HD was out of reach at the time ;-)). To some extent that could be down to a personal leaning towards 10x binooculars, but I think there's a bit more to it than that.

Anyway... binocular choice is always going to be personal thing... you favourites won't be mine and vice-versa.

According to an email earlier this week from Vanguard UK there was a "minor problem" affecting production EDIVs that resulte in a recall of stock. Apparently the 10x42 EDIV I have is fine (not sure how they know that -- but I certainly haven't detected any problems with it). They assure me the problem has now been resolved and that new stock should be available through retail outlets in June / July.

I guess we'll see.

Cheers,

Calvin!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back