• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod recommendation for new scope? (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

Some may know, I purchased my first scope, a 60mm Nikon fs and now realize how piss poor my $25 maxwell camera tripod is. Prefer not to spend a fortunate as a new and very casual user but wish to get something that is very good quality to handle not only the 60 but a 78/82 in case I ever add a larger scope to the collection.

I will sort through the forum as I know this question gets asked but any help is appreciated. I’d probably like to find a good used one at a nice discount if possible, sorta like the value that goes with buying a used Nikon fs.

Assume eBay and maybe craigslist are good sources. Not sure if camera tripods are interchangeable with scopes or not so advice there is needed. Thank you.

...Not sure if camera tripods are interchangeable with scopes or not so advice there is needed...

You need a good set of tripod legs, which are interchangeable with camera tripods etc. You also need a good tripod head, which can be more specific for use with scopes or small video cameras, such a panning "fluid" head. After getting by with lesser equipment for many years, nowadays I really enjoy my super expensive Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripods and Sirui and Gitzo heads with non-rotating QR plates, so I don't pay enough attention to the budget choices or the used market to provide specific advice. For new equipment, Manfrotto probably makes the best price-competitive heads. You will have many more good choices for legs, including from Manfrotto, Benro, Sirui, Feisol, Velbon, and other brands. The key will be to find a model with the specs you want. I recommend getting a tripod that is taller than you think you need (especially if you are using a straight scope), that goes high without using lots of center column, and that has leg angle adjustments to allow quick height adjustments down to near ground level. Warning: good tripods cost more than most people expect, but lots of money is wasted on cheap tripods that end up being inadequate.

--AP

Last edited:
I ended up buying a manfrotto 055 with a 128rc head for $66 plus $32 shipping. Got a better deal than expected but the 055 is such a beefy tripod, it was my preferred choice. Arrived today but I’m out of town so haven’t seen it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back