• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puffins live on video! (1 Viewer)

Eagle

Puffins live on video cam!

Just for those of us who havent seen puffins live, except on TV etc... the next best thing. WWW.projectpuffin.org
Fabulous views! :bounce:
I've just spent the last ten mins watching when I ought to clearing out a cupboard...which would you do?

Last edited:
Well there is another person introduced to the puffin site and Bird forum.....
just going to wait for her to start taking photos of birds....a good photographer.
Hope you are all enjoying this live cam...as you can see there are other birds and auks....its just the thrill of seeing puffins so close!!

Hi Eagle,

Which internet server do you have, i'm on aol and everytime i click connect it seems to be loading but then it keeps saying that the network is congested. Do you have this problem or does yours load up everytime.

Steven

Hi Eagle,

I have real one player but it juat keeps on coming up with the same message. But this is not the only thing that won't work. I can't listen to bird calls of the rspb website along with a whole host of other things.

Steven

Last edited:
Stonechat2
I'll have aword with my IT technician and see what he can suggest but I cant do that till Fiday. I have broadband at home and at work. That might be a reason. But it sounds like your sound card might need replacing or memory needs up grading!
How old is your pc?
I'm sorry you cant see the Guillimot with fish that I'm looking at now!
How do u do a smilie thats having a glass of wine...sounds like u could do with one!

Michael u r a funny man! if only I could be at the Farne Islands!
If I can arrange to sort out a visit I'll be there.Long way from london!
;)

Hi Eagle,

It definateley isn't the soundcard. It must be to do with my aol account as my dad can listen and see things and his account is an adult one. Mine is a mature teen so that can be the only explanation for it. It is an old com but obviously if my dads works it must be something to do with aol.
Don't rub all those great images. I'll give myself a drink. B :)
If you want to know how to do it: Click on reply in green and the box of smilies come up along with a text box, you can't miss it. B :) B :) B :)

Mike, you can take me o:)

Stonechat2
I can do the beer thanks....I just thought a nice cool glass of sauvignon blanc
would be more appropriate at the moment!
B :) B :)
not sure I understood the rub part I wasnt rubbishing them just needed a nother one!
perhaps u need an adult access...perhaps see if u can get through on your dads account....ask v.v.v.v nicely and offer to clean his car....

sounds like we need to visit the farnes!

Yep, a trip to the Farnes is sheer spectacle . . . any time from late April to mid July is best, after then most of the young birds have fledged and leave (Steven, we should see some of the Puffins on the sea from St Mary's, tho' they won't be so close). I guess I'll arrange a BF trip to the Farnes early next summer, it should be popular!

Last year on the Farnes:
Puffin 55,674 pairs
Guillemot 42,338 pairs
Kittiwake 5,192 pairs
Sandwich Tern 1,999 pairs
Arctic Tern 1,727 pairs
Shag 1,678 pairs
Eider 1,036 pairs
Fulmar 246 pairs
Razorbill 222 pairs
Cormorant 179 pairs
Common Tern 76 pairs

Michael

Hi Eagle,
Sorry , i didn't mean rubbishing them, I meant don't rub it in that you could see the Guillimot with the fish and i couldn't. It was meant to be slightly amusing but what can i say. I'm not a commedian.

Yep i should say we need to go. :)

Mike, that would be great, i'll definateley go as long as i've got the money, i maybe be able to borrow it permanently of me mom.:)

Course there's other aspects to the Farnes too that you don't get on video . . . . most obvious when you're downwind of the Cormorants (pheeeuw! :eek!: don't eat your lunch then), and when you have to wash your jacket after . . . . :-O

But its still great fun :D

Missed the irony! Sorry...didnt mean to be cruel...I just got excited! I still cant quite believe I found this site...

Michael thank you for offering to arrange a visit!Did I see somewhere there was one this year...August...thought I did but i was casually browsing...cant find it now...probably means no puffins but it might be good practise for my canada trip...i do have trouble with the different sea birds in flight unless they have distinctive features.... :h?:

Tried that site before I found the above...cant get the webcams to work due to problems with popups....will try again at work to see if I can get it there...but not as much good to me as access at home...since I can only log onsite when at rest! :eek!: ;) ;)

Hi David,

That site isn't working either, it's my dodgy computer, hey i can still get on bf though :)

Hi Eagle

Do you think you'll be able to make the Whitley bay trip, the more the merrier.

I use Netscape and have pop ups switched off and have no problem. The seabird.org website does not use pop ups so the problem must be with your computer or browser.

I have to declare an interest though as Mrs Kelly is on the staff of the Scottish Seabird Centre.

David

David
Finally success...logged on to the site interesting but not as exciting as live action shots from Maine.
Another site tho for visiting if in the Edinburgh/Borders area. Thanks!
Stonechat
Not sure yet about St Mary's....but I've done my research as to how to get there!Sounds good tho...definitely up for visit next year for Puffins if Michael organises a trip to the Farne Islands.
Eagle

Last edited:
On a similar theme, Hen Harriers

Spent a mind boggling hour just over a week ago sitting in tea-room in the Muirshiel Centre near Lochwinnoch (near Paisley Scotland) sipping coffee whilst watching a live video link to Hen Harrier nest containing 4 youngsters, female coming in and tearing up a poor Meadow Pipit to feed them. Really something else, try www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk.

Stewart J. :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back