• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird with beak open all the time. (1 Viewer)

Jim Bennett

Canon User R6 5DMkIIII
Hi all, I was out in the garden doing some work this morning and saw this Blackbird I never noticed it’s beak at first but while I was watching it looked like it was having problems picking food up from the ground then I saw it had its beak open all the time….. So I went and got my camera and sat in the greenhouses with the door open here is a picture I took, I think it must have flown into something? I can’t see any damage so will keep an eye out for it each day.

Attachments

• Sick_Blackbird_18_3_2015.JPG
    Sick_Blackbird_18_3_2015.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 811
I was thinking the same Foxy, but I have to help its probably one of the young I have seen in the past years.
I watched it again and I cold not see anything it tried to eat get picked up so thought if some of my home made pasty would help, so I added a little more water to it and made it a little sticky and it was able to eat this even though it took a little while but it was getting better at it all the time, it will now come 6 feet away to feed I will get a movie of it tomorrow if it survives the night :(

Jim

I was thinking the same Foxy, but I have to help its probably one of the young I have seen in the past years.
I watched it again and I cold not see anything it tried to eat get picked up so thought if some of my home made pasty would help, so I added a little more water to it and made it a little sticky and it was able to eat this even though it took a little while but it was getting better at it all the time, it will now come 6 feet away to feed I will get a movie of it tomorrow if it survives the night :(

Jim

What has happened to this bird, is it still around?

The mouth looks like something is stuck in it, a stick or something, or is that it's tongue?

It is Brian, it will take small pieces of home made pastry with cheese and small seed mixed in with it and it will now take small pieces of grapes, I have also seen it drinking from a water trough I made out of guttering on the back fence, so its doing all right I will get a small video of it eating if I can, and what you see is its tongue I have looked at a 200% crop.

Jim

I am going to leave it a little while longer Brian, I saw it today picking up from the seed mix I put down for the other birds and it looks like it can close its beak a little more, it even took a bathe in the pond so it must be feeling ok :)

Jim

I am going to leave it a little while longer Brian, I saw it today picking up from the seed mix I put down for the other birds and it looks like it can close its beak a little more, it even took a bathe in the pond so it must be feeling ok :)

Jim

It certainly looks well fed and healthy apart from it's beak. You are looking after, and out for him well Jim. :t: :t:

Looking at the video again, he does seem to nearly shut his beak when feeding.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian, I was sat in the greenhouse with the door open today and it can open its beck wider but still can’t close it but it can take lots of other food too now I put some live meal worms out when I saw it on the fence and it manage to eat some of these so it doing ok and at one time it looked right at me while it was on the ground and started to sing to me that’s if you can call it singing lol

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back