• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

common tern or .. (1 Viewer)

First impression is that this is indeed an Arctic:

short bill, rounded head, proportions of body and wings look better for Arctic than for Common
rounded black cap that doesnt extend far down at the neck is also better for Arctic.

My only caveat is that this might be a single picture that gives the wrong impression. It is clearly underexposed, so I wouldnt trust in grey/white values.
And I wouldnt argue that this bird lacks the dark wedge on outer primaries that is diagnostic for Common Tern. In April (and often even later in the year), Commons with very poor marked dark wedge are regular. I think this cant be judged on this picture (no offense!)

Do you have more pictures of this bird? My experience is that pitfall pictures are regular with Comic Terns, when only a single picture is consulted. Therefore, it is often better to study a series of pictures, before making an identification in this species pair.

Having said that, it really looks good for an Arctic, so it might indeed be one.

The problem is, that I other photos aru not good quality. Unfortunatelly I did not realize in the field that it could be an artctic tern ... (as evidenced by even this clipped picture - I was photographing another bird)
But maybe this pictures show something important.
What more I can say - as for other birds that day, I had no doubt that these were common terns with evident features

Attachments

• IMG_1154 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1154 (Copy).jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1168 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1168 (Copy).jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1170 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1170 (Copy).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1171 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1171 (Copy).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1172 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1172 (Copy).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
The last image suggests Common Tern best over Arctic. On Arctic all primaries should look almost translucent in a uniform way, with a thin black border. On this image, however, we see slightly dark outer primaries (with a slight contrast with inner, more translucent, primaries) and a not so thin black border, both characters apparently at odds with Arctic.

On the first image I thought Arctic, and therefore I agreed with Alexander's comments, but having seen the new images I agree with Rafael. Best left unidentified IMO.

Michał Jaro;3842029 said:
What about very short cup visible in new photos and (imo) very short bill ?

Bill doesn't look very short IMO, it looks OK for Common. Arctic has shorter bill than what is suggested by the last photos; black cap shape can be misleading in flight shots, especially of low quality (no offense, of course!).

there is no way about offense, I'm very grateful to everyone who helps. Reliable identification is the only thing. So If it's a common tern - let it be :)
as for the cap - however, it is short in all pictures regardless of the position of the bird. especially look at the cropped image - imo that can not be a photo's pollution

Last edited:
one more attempt - maybe it's the same bird , I'm not so sure

Attachments

• IMG_1148 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1148 (Copy).jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1150 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1150 (Copy).jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 24
Bill doesn't look very short IMO, it looks OK for Common. Arctic has shorter bill than what is suggested by the last photos; black cap shape can be misleading in flight shots, especially of low quality (no offense, of course!).

'Offence' in real English........;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back