• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Sylvia warbler (1 Viewer)

Birder_Griff

Chris Griffin
Interesting Sylvia warbler in Southern Morocco

Currently in Saharan edge of Southern Morocco and came across this interesting Sylvia.... Dark centred tertials, clean flanks and dark ear-coverts with no red on the eye-ring.... Thoughts greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
The bill looks strong albeit foreshortened, darker ear coverts with perhaps a pale forehead/lores, a warm tint of buff to the UTC’s and no contrasty eye-ring...I’m wondering how a 1st Winter Western Orphean Warbler might compare?

Cheers

The bill looks strong albeit foreshortened, darker ear coverts with perhaps a pale forehead/lores, a warm tint of buff to the UTC’s and no contrasty eye-ring...I’m wondering how a 1st Winter Western Orphean Warbler might compare?

Cheers
I of course hesitated between the two, and perhaps made the wrong choice.
Jean

Thanks for the offers, but it didn't look bulky enough for Orphean and also didn't thing pale fringed dark centred tertails were a feature either.... Also, when do the eyes turn from dark to pale? Surely a 1st winter bird would have place eyes by now?

Only Sylvia sp apart from this individual present were definite Sardinians, and this bird was similar in size and behaviour. Any more thoughts?

The dark ear-coverts point to either an orphean warbler or a Lesser Whitethroat.
The white semi-circle below the eye and the small bill suggest the latter, but that is a rarity in Morocco as far as I know.
Any more photos?

Collins has Sardinian as 13-14cm, W Orphean as 14.5 - 16 cm. (Western Orphean on the move apparently with 2 blown across to the Canaries this weekend). But not a comment on the id otherwise.

The dark ear-coverts point to either an orphean warbler or a Lesser Whitethroat.
The white semi-circle below the eye and the small bill suggest the latter, but that is a rarity in Morocco as far as I know.
Any more photos?

The light appears to be coming from 10’0’clock?, hence the highlights to the upper mandible and lower eye-ring only. Perhaps the bill is bigger than it appears as it’s somewhat fore-shortened?

Cheers

Any more photos?

This was my first impression (one of that 'group'), but I hesitate to comment on a single photo as this one. In any case, bearing in mind the limitations of such an exercise, here it goes:
We can rule out Orphean safely on proportions and bill size (proportions, really) alone, imo. Orphean are bulky birds with proportionately large bill, and the eye would most likely show some pale coloration even in such a pic even if it were a 2nd year bird); the white half eye-ring would be atypical for Orphean as well (while typical of Lesser Whitethroat); the front seems pale, another pro LW feature and atypical of Orphean (even if this were a 2nd year bird, the front would be dark already). Sardinian ruled out as well.
Subalpine (species group) can also be ruled out based on the facial pattern (very dark ear coverts, white eye-ring restricted to lower half only, as said above), lack of any red visible around or in the eye; tail not properly visible (partially hidden by the Acacia leaves), but it seems to be short (I think the tip, i.e. where it ends is visible, but not 100% sure on this).
Lesser Whitethroat seems to me the best fitting species, regardless of rarity. There have been a few weeks of Levant wind, making this record more likely.

Lesser Whitethroat seems to me the best fitting species, regardless of rarity. There have been a few weeks of Levant wind, making this record more likely.
Any thoughts on subspecies? Given that blythi Lesserthroats have increasingly been migrating west to winter in Britain in recent years, I'd not be at all surprised if this was more likely in winter in Morocco than nominate curruca.

This was my first impression (one of that 'group'), but I hesitate to comment on a single photo as this one. In any case, bearing in mind the limitations of such an exercise, here it goes:
We can rule out Orphean safely on proportions and bill size (proportions, really) alone, imo. Orphean are bulky birds with proportionately large bill, and the eye would most likely show some pale coloration even in such a pic even if it were a 2nd year bird); the white half eye-ring would be atypical for Orphean as well (while typical of Lesser Whitethroat); the front seems pale, another pro LW feature and atypical of Orphean (even if this were a 2nd year bird, the front would be dark already). Sardinian ruled out as well.
Subalpine (species group) can also be ruled out based on the facial pattern (very dark ear coverts, white eye-ring restricted to lower half only, as said above), lack of any red visible around or in the eye; tail not properly visible (partially hidden by the Acacia leaves), but it seems to be short (I think the tip, i.e. where it ends is visible, but not 100% sure on this).

Looking at dark races of Lesser Whitethroat...”althaea” would not be dissimilar size wise to Sardinian Warbler, although it would be a long haul from the mountains of Central Asia with distance perhaps not as unlikely as at first might appear...Paddyfield Pipit to Cornwall moved the goalposts somewhat. :eek!:

Sardinian is a very different bird.
It generally does not show any white around the eye, has red orbital ring, much darker underparts, and much shorter primary projection.
It would be good if the photographer could post more pictures. Leg colour, for instance, would quickly limit the options.

Here's a shot of an adult female Sardinian Warbler taken several Xmas's ago on Fuerteventura, would have to assume that a 2nd year bird (end of Feb.) would have already developed the red eye-ring?

Attachments

• P1620462.jpeg  Fem.Sard.2..jpeg
    P1620462.jpeg Fem.Sard.2..jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 72
@smiths

I don't see any white around the eye (just dust). The eye ring is obscure. The primary projection is partly hidden and exaggerated by the exposed bases of the primaries (incomplete tertials).

@smiths

I don't see any white around the eye (just dust). The eye ring is obscure. The primary projection is partly hidden and exaggerated by the exposed bases of the primaries (incomplete tertials).

Odd that the dust is restricted to the part of the rim, that would reflect the ambient lighting?

@smiths

This makes little sense to me.
Only the central tertial is missing; the longest one is fresh, is in its normal place and of normal length. Yes, the primary projection is partly hidden behind the Acacia leaves but that means it may be even longer than what is suggested in the photograph. It is certainly not going to be shorter! Note also how the primary spacing increases towards the end of the wingtip; in Sardinian the primary tips are more closely bunched together.
I don't see how pollen could result in both a white semi-circle below the eye (right where it is expected in Lesser Whitethroat, coincidentally) and blackish ear-coverts?
In addition to all this, the pale underparts in themselves already rule out Sardinian as an option.

Last edited:
This makes little sense to me.
Only the central tertial is missing; the longest one is fresh, is in its normal place and of normal length. Yes, the primary projection is partly hidden behind the Acacia leaves but that means it may be even longer than what is suggested in the photograph. It is certainly not going to be shorter! Note also how the primary spacing increases towards the end of the wingtip; in Sardinian the primary tips are more closely bunched together.
I don't see how pollen could result in both a white semi-circle below the eye (right where it is expected in Lesser Whitethroat, coincidentally) and blackish ear-coverts?
In addition to all this, the pale underparts in themselves already rule out Sardinian as an option.

This was my interpretation too FWIW

A few more images of this Sylvia.... we discounted Orphean instantly on size and behaviour along with previous experience (in that location!)..... Lots of movement to the south of us due to the sandstorm, yes, but it seems here there is nothing moving at all..... the sandstorm has cut us off from the usual northerly movement.

We went for 1w male moulting to adult, any thoughts?

No feathered eye-ring agreed, the comment was purely about the skin colour which, obviously, is red in Sardinian.... thus the confusion, as the only other Sylvias in the entire area were all Sardinian.

Attachments

• warb2.jpg
    warb2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 122
  • warb3.jpg
    warb3.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 115
  • warb4.jpg
    warb4.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 115
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back