• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm HS50 EXR has arrived ! (2 Viewers)

earleybird

My HS50 arrived this morning and now that it seems to be generally available on Amazon and the High Street I thought that it would be useful to start a running thread about this camera of owners first impressions, tests, sample images and opinions etc.

I have only had time to open the box and look the camera over thus far today so I thought that I would post a clip of my first impressions and an initial comparison between the HS50 and the first HS super-zoom , the HS10

http://youtu.be/tn7pshfiYYM

My HS50 arrived this morning and now that it seems to be generally available on Amazon and the High Street I thought that it would be useful to start a running thread about this camera of owners first impressions, tests, sample images and opinions etc.

I have only had time to open the box and look the camera over thus far today so I thought that I would post a clip of my first impressions and an initial comparison between the HS50 and the first HS super-zoom , the HS10

http://youtu.be/tn7pshfiYYM
Be good to hear opinions about this camera especially if SX50 owners/users can chip in with a 'real world use' comparison rather than just a list of spec differences. I shall definitely be following this thread.
Russ

its going to be days possibly weeks before I get a chance to properly test all the various features and functions of the HS50 but there is one aspect of this camera that I needed to check immediately which is the auto focus speed and accuracy.

Its bloomin fantastic !

The HS50 AF (Auto Focus) is absolutely instantaneous. :t:

A typical problem area for my HS10 was trying to get the camera to either focus on a bird in foliage or pre-focus on a small twig or bird feeder in order to capture some of my garden birds.

Typically at 500-720mm the HS10 AF would hunt all over the place , focussing on any adjacent surface or feature, at any distance . Sometimes it would be 15 seconds or more before I could focus on my subject .

The HS50 focuses instantly at 42x zoom (1000mm) even on a small twig 30mm dia at 10 feet distance focussing through db glazed windows .!
The background is some 50 metres behind the twig so the centre focus area is very tight indeed.

I managed to bang off 7x shots of a Pied Wagtail at 12 feet through db glazing as fast as my finger could trigger the shutter button . Thats without half press focusing , simply banging the button as fast as I could.

The images are all perfectly in focus and despite the overcast conditions and low level light today all the shots are crisp .You know how quickly Wagtails move, ;) they are constantly twitching.

The autofocus speed and accuracy is simply amazing which is good news for all us birders

Please bear in mind that the wagtail image was one out of a sequence of 7x shots taken at 1000mm in poor light through double glazing taken as fast as I could hit the button ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57957957@N08/8539654050/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57957957@N08/8539652250/

Last edited:
oh god sorry doh! thats because I'm trying to do 50x things at once today ;)

i can make it a reed bunting if thats helpful lol :-O

This is a camera I would like, so very interested in your views. I have had the Sx30 and Sx40 and did not like either to be honest, the evf was just the pits.

Hi Punta
regarding the evf that was an important feature for me too. I have been used to using the Fujifilm HS10 for the past 2 years and the evf was just awful .

I love the evf on the HS50. the digital picture is crystal clear and has a very large screen area. The only evf likely to be better in the Fuji range is the X-s series like the X-S1 which I was considering buying instead of the HS50.

The centre-focus parameters are excellent and resemble a telescopic gunsight ring in orange. It works very well and doesn't restrict your view at all. Clearly the centre focus area is a lot smaller than the HS10/20/25/30 etc so it autofocuses quickly and accurately on small objects like birds and twigs even at full 1000mm zoom

The camera switches on and is ready to take a picture in just under 1x second which is incredibly fast. Great for snatching that record shot when there has been no warning.

One little touch that I like is the sound settings. Shutter and operation sound levels have 4x settings each (loud med soft and off) plus a choice of sounds ...how cool is that!:t:

For bird and wildlife shooting I generally have all sound switched off on my HS10 but there are times when a very soft sound to verify a function is going to be very useful .

Ask me any questions that you have however obscure and I'll do my best to give you an opinion

Last edited:
Ask me any questions that you have however obscure and I'll do my best to give you an opinion

Thanks for starting this thread! Good to know you're impressed by autofocus speed, even at long focal length. If this is confirmed in more testing, I can see my hard-earned cash heading Fuji's way. But when you get a chance for more testing, I'd be very interested to know if the EVF blacks out at any point in any burst mode; ie. can you follow a moving subject, keeping it in the frame while capturing a burst of images?
Brian

The evf or lcd image doesn't freeze in continuous mode exactly, its difficult to describe .The image in the evf or lcd follows the lens as you pan the camera as it would in video mode but as each picture in the sequence is taken the evf or lcd image freezes on the picture for a microsecond showing the image taken.

Because of the speed and number of the images taken it appears almost seemless video .If seemless images without any freezing are required presumably it would be better to take HD video ?

I set the AF to tracking

There are 4x settings 3fps 6fps 11fps 16fps .all at different Mp resolution.

At 16 fps the camera takes pictures continuously as you pan the camera as long as you hold the button down.

Thanks for the reply. My cash is burning a hole in my pocket, but I will need to see a few reviews. Post a few photos if you can when the weather improves, also what mp resolution does it use at the different speeds ?

In Continuous shooting' and 'Top n' modes the number of shots taken at each fps setting (3,6, 11 & 16 fps) isn't fixed. It is determined by the type of shot, (scene) shutter speed, available light and other variable factors. Focus and exposure are determined by the first frame in each series

In best capture mode the camera takes a number of shots before and after the shutter button is pressed. You can pre-set this in the menu and decide how many shots before and how many shots you want after the shutter button is pressed. Thats pretty impressive control.

for me ,....the best way to decide between several cameras was to list all the features that you need in the camera in order of preference.

For example I want the camera predomininantly for taking shots of birds in my garden. it will be set up semi -permanently on a tripod in front of a feeding station outside my conservatory window.

I will use it through double glazing at times and sometimes externally by using a RR-80 wireless remote control by JJC.

Most important features for me was
1. long telephoto 30x+
2. fast AF (auto focus)
3. fast shot to shot times (fast read write times)
4. fast start up
5. clear high res evf
6. must accept remote control

so for me the size and weight isn't an issue nor is the fact that the manual zoom lens is stiff and jerky like the HS10 as I will probably never use the video mode on the camera.

I might be a bit biased, having the Canon SX50, which I love.

Another crucial factor is IS. I thought the SX30's IS wiped the floor with my first superzoom, the Pentax X90 as I recall, but the SX50 wipes the floor with the SX30.

Incidentally, the reason I wanted to upgrade from the Pentax is that whenever I tried to take pics of birds in clutter it would focus on a branch not the bird. My cyberbuddy crazyfingers, who also posts here, found the same problem with his Nikon superzoom, and I saw the improvement in his pictures when he changed up to the SX30, which was so substantial that I immediately sold my Pentax to get one myself.

On the SX50 thread I see a load of people posting much better pics than I can manage, but for ref I will link to a couple of mine taken yesterday, hand held (though hand supported by a railing or something) at huge zoom.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp275/dble_photo/IMG_1055_zpsa33ea792.jpg

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp275/dble_photo/kestrelprofile_zps5e00929d.jpg

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp275/dble_photo/IMG_1094_zps868467ba.jpg

And one from a few days ago in worse light

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp275/dble_photo/singingdunnockcrop_zps6fdba2ec.jpg

David

David this is a thread specifically about the features of new Fujifilm HS50 EXR camera ?

Your appraisal about the SX50 is very interesting but a bit off topic ;)

This thread was started primarily to discuss the HS50 because there are so few sold yet and there is next to nothing on the net about this camera.

Whilst I appreciate that comparisons with other make cameras is vital in making our camera selection this isn't the thread to discuss that on really or this thread is just going to degenerate into the usual bun fight between owners of the various camera makes .

if you want an example of that just look at any new camera review on dpreview .

Why not start a thread of your own about the SX50 or camera selection ,it would be very useful and informative:t: but please don't take this thread off topic

here is an image I took this morning in overcast low light conditions.

The image was taken through a double glazed window at 1000mm max zoom.

It was one of 9x pictures that I took in a sequence by pressing the shutter button as fast as I could with no pre-focus. All 9x images took approx 3 seconds to complete.

The original image is a 25% reduction to upload to Flickr but if viewed at Large size shows the detail with the exposure time only 1/170... not fast enough to freeze the head of the Goldfinch .;)

However far more interesting to any birding toggers out there is the feather detail of the 800% crop of the original image.

Considering the poor light, short exposure time, and taken at 1000mm hand held through glass as fast as I could press and release the shutter well... thats pretty remarkable in my opinion.:t:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57957957@N08/8541906462/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57957957@N08/8540805165/

so for me the size and weight isn't an issue nor is the fact that the manual zoom lens is stiff and jerky like the HS10 as I will probably never use the video mode on the camera.

I am following with interest your presonal experience with this camera. As a birder who spends a good bit of photography time in forest light, the manual focus and low light capabilities are high on my list of necessary features but I also like to take videos. Can you clarify the statement? Does the manual zoom affect the video mode somehow or are you refering to the size/weight specs?
Thanks,
Steve

David this is a thread specifically about the features of new Fujifilm HS50 EXR camera ?

Your appraisal about the SX50 is very interesting but a bit off topic ;)

This thread was started primarily to discuss the HS50 because there are so few sold yet and there is next to nothing on the net about this camera.

Whilst I appreciate that comparisons with other make cameras is vital in making our camera selection this isn't the thread to discuss that on really or this thread is just going to degenerate into the usual bun fight between owners of the various camera makes .

if you want an example of that just look at any new camera review on dpreview .

Why not start a thread of your own about the SX50 or camera selection ,it would be very useful and informative:t: but please don't take this thread off topic

Post 2 of this thread specifically asked for input from sx50 owners, which is why y/responded. Perhaps you might have read previous posts before deciding what is on topic.

David

I am following with interest your presonal experience with this camera. As a birder who spends a good bit of photography time in forest light, the manual focus and low light capabilities are high on my list of necessary features but I also like to take videos. Can you clarify the statement? Does the manual zoom affect the video mode somehow or are you refering to the size/weight specs?
Thanks,
Steve

The manual zoom does effect video use yes. the zoom on the HS50 is plastic like the other cameras in the HS range HS10 HS20 HS25 etc
The lens has a lot of friction as new and tends to jerk from focal length to focal length. (see my youtube video)

If you are looking for a compact for predominantly video, this is not going to be what you need imo .Its too jerky in video mode. You need a motor zoom like the SX50 etc

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back