• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald Eagle (Juvenile) or Golden Eagle? (1 Viewer)

JakeHall89

So I recently spent some time on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada where I happened across these beauties. The first (bird in flight) I suspect is an adolescent bald eagle but i'm not sure, it was considerably larger than the other bald eagles I had photographed that day. The second (bird on perch) was considerably bigger again, looks matured to me and I'd like to know what it is. At this stage I think it's a golden eagle.

I should clarify that these are two different birds.

After googling the differences between golden eagles and juvenile bald eagles I still can't figure out which these are, help!

Attachments

• IMG_9829.jpg
    IMG_9829.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9759.jpg
    IMG_9759.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 98
Agree with Lou - both Balds. How can we tell? First, really large bills. Second, immature Goldens are entirely dark underneath, except for a white spot about 2/3 way down each wing, and some white on the tail.

Size differences are very hard to judge unless the birds are right next to each other. However, on immature hawks like Red-taileds, the wings and tail are in fact a bit longer than they are on adults - sort of like "training wheels" while they are becoming expert flyers. I assume with eagles it's the same way.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back