• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff Binoculars collect lint. (1 Viewer)

bugeyed

I have a new pair of Nikon Pro Staff 7s binoculars & the rubber coating is a lint magnet. Is there anything recommended to rub these down with to minimize this & retain the grippieness?
Thanks,
Kev

Kev:
Welcome to the Birdforum.

I know what you mean, they have a softer rubber armor. I would try some careful use of armor-all
rubber protectant, just a small amount. Armor-all can make smooth rubber slick, but it may work well
on this one, as there is enough texture.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Jerry

It's the same with the Monarch series. Soft, grippy rubber grips fluff as well as it grips your hands...

I tend to just use a damp lint-free, microfibre cloth. My binoculars come up like new - for about 5 - 10 minutes until I start using them again. ;)

Armor-all, as Jerry suggests, might be worth a try, though it does tend to make things a bit slippy. Don't get it anywhere near the lenses - you'll probably never get it off!

I do have a cautionary comment about Armor-All... About 25 years ago I used some on the dash of my car (one of the uses it's designed for...) and over the following months, the dash proceded to go a very strange colour - in blotches here and there. I'm convinced (but can't prove) that the Armor-All was a catalyst for it... Maybe they've changed the formula since.

I tried a very light application of Armor-All on my Prostaff 7S 10x42 and it seemed to help a bit. Not going to pursue if further.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back