• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does a parent goose peck at the runt of the flock? (1 Viewer)

Bikr

I wouldn't call myself a birder, but I sit by the window of my office, which is located right next to a large pond that attracts a lot of waterfowl: Canadian geese, mallards, ring-necked ducks and the occasional cormorant and great blue heron. With my fantastic view, I'm getting pulled into the world of birding!?

Recently I noticed goose behavior so strange, that I had to find and join a forum to try and get an answer!

A couple of the Canadian geese have goslings and I've been fascinated with how they manage a bunch of little guys who are so defenseless. This pair has 7 little goslings, but there's one that's noticeably smaller than the others, like a "runt". It also tends to be less active; eats less and sits a lot more.

The oddest thing is that one of the parents always pecks at it, even when it's just doing what the other goslings are doing. My questions are:

• Is the mother/father trying to toughen up the weakest offspring?
  • Is it maybe a defector from another pair of geese? (I noticed there's another pair that only has one gosling…seems odd)

Obviously, I know nothing about bird behavior other than what I've learned sitting next to this pond for almost a year now. So I hope this isn't too naive a question and I've come to the right place for an answer! 🤞

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back