• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 with very ease of view and flare resistance (2 Viewers)

I recently bought, and then sold, a pair of Meopta 10x32's. The image was fantastic. I didn't notice any flare at all. Only reason I sold them was they were too small for my very large hands and the eyecups weren't large enough for my eyes. But the view - fantastic!

Agreed, of the 8x32s I liked the Meopta best in terms of overall image... the Zeiss Conquest HD is very good as well, and is actually brighter than the Meopta with maybe a slightly more neutral image, and a faster focus; I found the Meopta sharper and that it controlled CA better. The biggest complaint I have with the Leica is a very narrow FoV in comparison with the other models available - the view itself is actually quite good, particularly if you are a fan of the 'Leica image'.

I do think the Victory Pocket offers a better overall image and easier view than any of the above, with very little visible chromatic aberration and exceptional sharpness and brightness. That said, my girlfriend who does not wear glasses when in the field(and has limited experience utilizing compact/semi-compact binoculars) did not find the view as easy in the Pocket as in her full-sized binoculars (due to the aforementioned small eyecups). When she put on her glasses and tried them, she agreed that the view was excellent.

Justin

While a bit more expensive, the new Swaro CL companion 8x30 seems interesting, I’m currently reading the CL thread, both zeiss and swaro received good reviews at binomania.it

I have used the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and Kowa Genesis 8x33. Once I changed the Zeiss eye cups to the longer ones (I do not wear glasses), I find them both very pleasant to use: no hovering, tilting, squinting, etc. Both have excellent optics.

In my tests, I found the Kowa handled flare better when observing around sunset and looking pretty close to the sun. At other times, it really was not visible under normal viewing.

Another difference is the eyecups. The zeiss ones taper down to a narrow ridge that sits around your eyes. the kowa do not taper so much and have a thicker annulus. For my largish caucasian face, the Kowa is a bit more comfortable and fills my eye socket better. It is very subjective here, but to me the Kowa feels a bit better and I have no problems using it for extended periods. My eyes stay relaxed while viewing.

I also use a Bino Bandit neoprene eyeshade to further reduce stray light coming in at the ocular. In strong light, it can help improve contrast. The Kowa eyecups already do a pretty good job, but the bino bandit does make a noticeable improvement. This is no something specific to the kowa, it is just where I use them the most.

Marc

Hi,

of the shortlist I own the E2 - flare and reflection control are good, ease of view is great (unless you use glasses with your bins but since you had the Habichts, you obviously don't), the porro view is addictive - water- and dustproofing is non-existant, of course.

I good weather my pair of choice...

Joachim

Hello all,

I was the owner of a Swaro Habicht 8x30, a great bin, lifelike experience, amazing close up view.

However I have sold them, maybe too quickly, because of very strong flare / glare issue.

I had the same problem regarding flare control

Did you try any modifications that others have done? E.g. replacing the eyecups (cf https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=367763) or sunshades (cf http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/a...vski/swarohabicht8x30w/swarohabicht8x30w.html near bottom of page, section "Improve your Habicht - it is really worth it").

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back