• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the library... (1 Viewer)

Because I know Justin Jansen is very busy finalizing the text of his PhD-thesis, I may add some more info on P.A. Hens who collected the nataliae-Song Thrush. Hens is a well-known Dutch ornithologist (although not by profession) from the 20th-century. He lived in the southern province of Limburg and wrote an avifauna or two about the province. When he was major in Valkenburg-Houthem, one of the Limburg municipalities, he famously paused the formal evening deliberations because he heard Common Cranes fly by. Hens was member of the board of the Dutch Club for Ornithologists for slightly more than 50 years. It is perhaps no surprise then that Hens now has his own fund named after him (http://hensfonds.nou.nu) for which you may apply for financial contributions to your ornithological work.

This info will lead nowhere while trying to solve the remaining etymological questions, but perhaps provides a nice background to the man who collected the Song Thrush mentioned in this thread.

●Quarterly journal of the Calcutta Medical and Physical Society.
1937 Palœornis cuculio McClelland, 1 (3), p. 322
1937 Phasianus ryanius McClelland, 1 (3), p. 322

Please find attached. But not really a help in terms of etymology.

Attachments

• jofthecalcutta18370001.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 192
So all the mihi names are nomen nudum since the drawings and descriptions were never published? Some guesses on his names.
General
Sir Henry Fane
(1778-1840) Commanders-in-Chief of India
General
The Earl of Dalhousie
(1770-1838)
Commander in chief 1830.
Dr. Thomas Stewart Traill (1781-1862) .
William Griffith (1810–9 February 1845.
Levaillant and Grant and Ryan and Metcalf Atherton?

Because I know Justin Jansen is very busy finalizing the text of his PhD-thesis, I may add some more info on P.A. Hens who collected the nataliae-Song Thrush. Hens is a well-known Dutch ornithologist (although not by profession) from the 20th-century. He lived in the southern province of Limburg and wrote an avifauna or two about the province. When he was major in Valkenburg-Houthem, one of the Limburg municipalities, he famously paused the formal evening deliberations because he heard Common Cranes fly by. Hens was member of the board of the Dutch Club for Ornithologists for slightly more than 50 years. It is perhaps no surprise then that Hens now has his own fund named after him (http://hensfonds.nou.nu) for which you may apply for financial contributions to your ornithological work.

This info will lead nowhere while trying to solve the remaining etymological questions, but perhaps provides a nice background to the man who collected the Song Thrush mentioned in this thread.

Hereby a photo of Hens his grave.

Attachments

• rsz_4_dec_2005.jpg
    rsz_4_dec_2005.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 96
●Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa. Taihoku [= Taipei].
1927 Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 17, p. 304
One small, small step closer to; Momiyama, T. T., 1927. A note on Japanese Zosteropidae with description of new subspecies. Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa 17 (No. 92): pp. 299-307 (here)

Anyone who understand this web-page? I´m pretty sure it´s there to be read, but cannot figure out how.

Momiyama, T. T., 1927. A note on Japanese Zosteropidae with description of new subspecies. Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa 17 (No. 92): pp. 299-307 (here)
I can't help with the website. (So far as I can see, it only shows the first pages of each paper. If there is a way to see more, I can't figure it out either.)

FWIW, there is a blog post [here] that (I think!! - it's in Chinese) lists new taxa collected by Yonetaro Kikuchi and places Z. p. kikutii among them, which would be consistent with Mark's earlier suggestion that the bird is named after him. The critical part of the text would be:
1. 菊池米太郎(Kikuchi,Y.,1869-1921) 在Goodfellow發現了帝雉以及其他引人注目的鳥類之後,激勵了英國鳥類學者對台灣的興趣,其中最感興趣的莫過於英國鳥類收藏家Rothschild。他委請一位住在日本橫濱的英國商人Alan Owston擔任鳥類代理商,派遣許多的採集手至亞洲各個地區,於是菊池米太郎來到台灣為他工作。 菊池米太郎,日本宮崎縣人,1906年37歲時被派遣來台,當時曾在阿里山首度捕獲活的黑長尾雉而聞名;1908年殖產局附屬博物館成立後乃擔任台北博物館的鳥獸採集囑託,跋涉全島山區及離島,採集各種動物,槍法神準,擅長製作標本,是明治、大正時期台灣最有名的動物採集家。在台16年的採集生涯完全奉獻給博物館,直到晚年還在山區採集,於1921年11月病逝,得年53歲。 菊池米太郎所獵獲的鳥類標本品,除了留在台北博物館之外,亦散藏在海內外各地,例如1906年,Owston將所收集的鳥類標本寄往英國,供Rothschild、Hartert、Ogilvie-Grant、Ingram、Harrington等學者研究,於1907-1912年間陸續發表成果。 菊池米太郎留下的鳥類報告極少,僅1916年收錄在黑田長禮《台灣島の鳥界》中的<台灣產鳥類の習性>,1917年的<台灣屬島の鳥類>等稍值一提。 菊池米太郎在台期間十分風光,除了因最先在阿里山捕獲20餘隻活的黑長尾雉而聲名大噪外,亦曾多次奉派採集鳥類標本呈送東京的皇室貴族供收藏觀賞,例如1916年7月,菊池攜帶台灣產鳥類標本前往東京獻給宮內省。9月,台灣總督府為獻上台灣特產鳥類標本給殿下皇太子,特命台北博物館囑託菊池赴各地採集。10月13日,菊池為獻上台灣產鳥類生鳥於天皇殿下,隨明石元二郎總督前往東京。隔年(1917年),菊池為獻上台灣產鳥類於北白川宮殿下,於11 月前往東京,12月11日返台。 堀川安市(1933)曾提到:「菊池米太郎生前一直從事台灣動物的採集,貢獻最大。台北總督府博物館的鳥、獸、蛇等能收集的如此完備,全賴菊池君的努力」。素木得一(1938)回憶道:「今日博物館能有這樣的基礎,在動物方面以菊池米太郎居首功」。 菊池米太郎所採集的鳥類模式標本雖多,但有些並未具名採集者(例如灰鷽、鱗胸鷦鷯、小剪尾、鷦鷯等),明確被命名為新(亞)種的鳥類採集品有:(1)新種褐鷽(Pyrrhula uchidai Kuroda, 1917):1909年7月16日採自屏東四社蕃,存於東京山階鳥類研究所。(2)新亞種白眉林鴝(Tarsiger indicus formosanus Hartert, 1909):1906年12月4日採自阿里山,存於美國紐約自然史博物館Rothschild標本收藏部。黑枕藍鶲(Hypothymis azurea oberholseri Stresemann, 1913):1907年4月5日採自嘉義沙米其社,存於美國紐約自然史博物館Rothschilds 標本收藏室。黑鳶(Milvus lineatus formosanus Kuroda, 1920):1916年5月2日採自南投魚池,毀於1945年東京戰火。棕耳鵯(Microscelis amaurotis harterti Kuroda, 1922):1908年12月4日採自蘭嶼,毀於1945年東京戰火。山麻雀(Passer rutilans kikuchii Kuroda,1924):1908年4月14日採自埔里,毀於1945年東京戰火。珠頸斑鳩(Spilopelia chinensis formosa Kuroda, 1927):1916年5月2日採自南投魚池,毀於1945年東京戰火。巴丹綠繡眼(Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 1927):1909年1月採自蘭嶼,存於東京山階鳥類研究所。赤腰燕(Hirundo striolata formosae Mayer, 1941):1907年6月22日採自能高山,存於美國紐約自然史博物館Rothschild標本室。
It says the white-eye was collected in Jan 1909 ("1909年1月") on Lanyu island ("蘭嶼") and deposited at the YIO ("山階鳥類研究所").

Would it be possible to find the details concerning this specimen elsewhere?

Last edited:
Continuation on "Garrulus brandtii okai" MOMIYAMA 1927 ...

A Japanese friend of mine, who both know and read Old School Kanji (!), kindly accepted the task of looking at the OD of "Garrulus brandtii okai" MOMIYAMA 1927.

While doing so he also transcribed the poor copy of it, into a digitized, more modern typeface. See attached excerpt, i.e. the relevant part (regarding etymology), from bottom p. 6 (or on p.2, in the pdf-version, posted in Post #38).

He told me that the OD tells us that Momiyama was given seven specimens (5 males, 1 female, and 1 unsexed), by Mr. Takahashi Eizo, and that it was the latter who suggested that this new subspecies ought to be named after Mr. Motosuke Oka [Like he wrote it: "firstname: Motosuke 元輔 , surname: Oka 岡], principal of Kobe junior highschool in Japan, who [if I understood his rather strong Japanese-Swedish accent correctly] Mr. Eizo admired for his fine collection of Korean birds, that Mr. Oka himself (at least some of them – however not this bird) had collected in Korea [in those days was Korea under Japanese rule].

That´s all, unfortunatelly he had no luck in trying to find neither the birth year nor the death year for this certain Mr. Oka, that name is apparently quite Common in Japan ...

What can one say, but: Dômo arigatô gozaimasu.

Björn
--

Attachments

• Mr. Oka, transcribed.pdf
    26.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I will pass on your thanks, James. And I asked if he wanted to be mentioned when he delivered it, if he wanted to be acknowledged (as I assumed you would ask that question), but he felt no need for it. He preferred to be anonymous, but added that if anyone doubted his interpretation, that he might reconsider. If so, he would, with no doubt, defend his claim. He was very clear in this. And about Mr. Oka.

OD's (of Post #50, except for the #62 ones) still "unseen" ...

Would it be possible to find the details concerning this specimen elsewhere?
I couldn´t find the Type itself of "Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii" in the collection of the Yamashina Institute for Ornithology, but several other (later) specimens (collected in 1929); here, here, here ... and onwards.

But I think the (original) labels tells us some (even if not all) about the origin of the name kikutii ... !?
Collection of Toku T. Momiyama
Sp. Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii
Jap. Kikuti-mediro
Compare with today's Japanese namne mejiro alt. me-jiro (for Z. japonicus) or Ryukyu-mejiro (for the subspecies Z. j. loochooensis), Tane-mejiro (Z. j. insularis) alt. firipin-mejiro (for Z. meyeni).

Note: "Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii" MOMIYAMA 1927 is often claimed as a junior synonym for Z. meyeni/japonicus batanis McGREGOR 1907 (here), but Z. m./j. batanis is (at least today) only found in the Philippines (on the Islands of Batan, Itbayat, Ivojos, Sabtang and Y'Ami)... and the kikutii birds above were all collected on/in Taiwan (Formosa)!?

In any case; the question of the synonymity for kikutii I gladly leave in more capable hands. I just noted the different locations.

If the name itself is aimed at a Mr. Kikuti or a certain place on Taiwan, by the same name, is unknown to me. See (for examples); here, here, here or here.

Looks like we still need to find the OD, doesn´t it?

Björn
--

Last edited:
For what it´s worth; the collections of the Yamashina Institute for Ornithology also holds the following Types (of some other missing birds, in this thread):

• "Goura scheepmakeri wadai" ... here
• "Cisticola cisticola djadja" ... here
• "Emberiza cioides tametomo" ... here

Whomever understand Japanese might find some additional info on those labels?

Either way: enjoy!

Björn

Note: "Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii" MOMIYAMA 1927 is often claimed as a junior synonym for Z. meyeni/japonicus batanis McGREGOR 1907 (here), but Z. m./j. batanis is (at least today) only found in the Philippines (on the Islands of Batan, Itbayat, Ivojos, Sabtang and Y'Ami)... and the kikutii birds above were all collected on/in Taiwan (Formosa)!?
As I wrote in [the other thread], batanis is also the common resident Zosterops on two small islands which belong to Taiwan, Orchid Island and Green Island.

[Orchid island] = Lanyu/Lán Yǔ/Lân-sū (Chinese: 蘭嶼) = Ponso no Tao (Yami/Tao name; this is how the locals call it) = Botel Tobago (Philippino name) = Kōtō-sho (Japanese: 紅頭嶼; this is how it was called during the Japanese rule, see "Early history" on the Wikipedia page).
This last name, you find on all the labels of kikutii specimens on the YIO website, either in Kanji [here] or in Roman characters [here]; on the specimen pages, it is indicated in the line directly above that which says "Taiwan"; this line gives you the collection locality as originally recorded.

[Green Island] = Lüdao/Lǜdǎo (Chinese: 綠島) = Kashō-tō (Japanese: 火焼島; again, how it was called during the Japanese rule).

If the name itself is aimed at a Mr. Kikuti or a certain place on Taiwan, by the same name, is unknown to me. See (for examples); here, here, here or here.
To me these all look like references to a person, either an author or a collector.
(I'm not sure at all it's always the same person that is meant, though -- in the 3rd link you have a "Mr K. Kikuti"; in the 4th one a "Kikuti, T."; not to mention that, if the dates we have are correct, "our" Y. Kikuti/-chi died in 1921, so these two sources [1939-1940] are probably too late to concern him.)

Your first link is the most interesting. This is to Mees' 1957 Systematic review of the Indo-Australian Zosteropidae, which you can get a complete pdf of [here].
Mees gives Botel Tobago (= Orchid Island) as the type locality of Z. palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama 1927. He lists "Kikuti" as an author having used the name Zosterops palpebrosa batanis in 1916 in Taiwantô no Tyôkai (臺灣島の鳥界, this is a work published by Kuroda, but I don't find it online right now) for specimens of this species originating from "Kôtôsyo" (presumably a variant of Kōtō-sho = Orchid Island).

Mees refers to Kuroda 1932 as the source of the synonymization of kikutii and batanis. Kuroda [here] wrote:
32. Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama = Z. p. batanis McGregor.
1927. — Trans. Nat. Hist. Soc. Formosa, xvii, no. 92, p. 304 (Botel Tobago). (In Japanese.)
Type : ♀ (?), Botel Tobago or Kotosho, January 1909. Y. Kikuchi coll. Momiyama coll., no. ?
Hab. Kashoto and Botel Tobago near Formosa ; Batan Is. in N. Philippines.
...thus confirming the type was collected by Y. Kikuchi on Botel Tobago/Kōtō-sho (= Orchid Island) in Jan 1909, as claimed in the Chinese blog post I referenced above. No reference here to a type deposition at the YIO, however.

So we still don't have the OD.
But we have a taxon named kikutii, based on a specimen confirmed to have been collected by a Yonetaro Kikuchi, whose name is known to have Kikuti as a possible variant spelling. And we have a text written by Mees about this particular taxon, that associates specimens from the type locality to someone named Kikuti. I think it would now take a lot to convince me that Y. Kikuchi/-ti was not the dedicatee.

Last edited:
I think it would now take a lot to convince me that Y. Kikuchi/-ti was not dedicatee.
True, now only the OD itself can prove otherwise ... Good luck finding it, James!

Either way; if anyone is more curious on Mr. Kikuchi (and understand it!), see: 鳥獸蟲魚入館來: 菊池米太郎的採集人生 Calling All Creatures of Earth, Sea and Sky: Yonetaro Kikuchi’s Life in Collecting, by Yung-Hwa Wu, in TAIWAN NATURAL SCIENCE Vol.35 (1), 2016 (here).

We who don´t can enjoy some nice plates, and pictures of stuffed animals, of some of his specimens. And a Photo of the man himself (... I guess?). I´m sure glad he´s not one of "my guys". ;)
--

Last edited:
OD of wadai found!

Thanks to the kindness of Mr. Morinaka, at the secretariat of Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan, I now have a copy of the OD of "Goura scheepmakeri wadai" ...

• No.1 山階 芳麿 Jan 1944. 南ニューギニア産胸赤冠鳩の一新亜種に就て. (Marquis Yoshimaro Yamashina: On a new subspecies of Goura scheepmakeri from South New Guinea). Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan 14 (No.1): pp. 1-2.

And thanks to my Japanese friend Nobuhiko Osawa (no longer anonymous!) we can now understand the most relevant part (see attached excerpt)!

In our mutual (quick and somewhat rough) translation (but not rough regarding the name of the man himself!):
In giving the name of this subspecies we honour Gitaro Wada, [of] Merauke, who donated this very valuable specimen.
Apparently this paper also tells us that the type specimen was collected 10 September 1929, in the (at that point) totally unexplored area around Bian River, South New Guinea. It doesn´t say who collected it (but it was probably Mr. Wada himself).

We´ve found no other years (neither of his birth nor death).

Bian River a k a Mbian River (i.e. Sungai Bian alt. Sungai Mbian, on New Guinea) [not Bian River in China]. It´s located in Merauke Regency, (in the Southeasternmost part of) West Papua, northwest/north of the town Merauke. The Bian River (and the neighbouring Maro River) is part of the Kumbe River basin.

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. Due to different copy right rules in various countries (and I don´t know what the Japanese one state) I will not attach the full paper, but if anyone wants a copy of it, let me know (if so, use BirdForum's "Private Messages" service).

PPS. James, I think we now safely (and rightfully) can acknowledge Mr. Osawa for his contribution in solving okaii as well.

Attachments

• Goura scheepmakeri wadai.jpg
    Goura scheepmakeri wadai.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 95
Mark, yes, we also found that "Gitaro Wada", of Yehime Ken, Japan, born in 1897, but couldn't (in any way) link him to Yamashina or New Guinea, nor to the bird in question.

Sure, he could be "our" Mr. Wada ... or not.

I have no idea of how common that name is in Japan.

OD of kikutii found!

Some days ago, thanks to the kindness of Sheng-Shan Lu, of the Division of Forest Protection, Taiwan Forestry Research Institute, I also received a copy of:

Momiyama T. T. (1927). A note on Japanese Zosteropidae, with descriptions of new subspecies. Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa 17 (No.92): pp. 299-307.

And I met my Japanese friend Nobuhiko Osawa the other day, who now have had a thorough look trough it, but he couldn´t find any Mr. Kikutchi/Kikuti mentioned anywhere in the Japanese text. Only locations and descriptions, he said. And the name itself.

To me (I understand close to nothing of it!) the key part seems to be found on page 305:
“Kikuti-mediro” Kikuti, ‘Tori’ i, no. 5, 1917, p. 97 (Kôtôsyo & Kasyôtô).
... (or see attached excerpts*) which is a refrence that take us further back 10 years, to the Japanese ornithological Journal Tori (Bird), of 1917, vol. 1, No.5, and p.97. That one is far easier to find, it´s in the BHL collection (here), bottom part (below the waved line, over it is a different topic all together).

If the scientific name kikutii does commemorate Yonetaro Kikuchi/Kikuti (or yet another Kikuti), alt. originate from a place or a local (Formosan/Taiwanese) name for the "mediro"/"mejiro" (Japanese name for Zosterops), that in its Japanese interpretation, turned out as "Kikuti" ... I haven´t got a clue! ... this said, of course, without understanding close to nothing of Japanese. ;)

But I assume Laurent is correct, in his concluding sentence in Post #73: "I think it would now take a lot to convince me that Y. Kikuchi/-ti was not the dedicatee". Nobuhiko Osawa also thinks it does, even if no out-spoken dedication tells us either way, in neither one of these two Japanese journals (according to him).

Either way: now we have the last part (i.e. two parts) of where it was published for the first time (times).

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. Good luck understanding/cracking it! (... if anyone find it worthwhile to dig on?)

*The pdf of the OD itself is too large (9,6MB) to attach, but if anyone wants a copy of the full Paper, let me know.

Attachments

• Z. p. kikutii Momiyama, subsp. nov..jpg
    Z. p. kikutii Momiyama, subsp. nov..jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Excerpt, Momiyama 1927.jpg
    Excerpt, Momiyama 1927.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
A very, very likely explanation of djadja ...

My friend Nobuhiko Osawa delivers again!

Even if the OD itself still remain to be found I shared our question regarding djadja, which didn´t remind him of anything, but he got curious as well, and contacted a Nature friend of his in Japan, they both searched the (Japanese) internet, chated back and forth, and came to the conclusion ("not 100% sure", he said, "but 99") that:

djadja is an onamatopetic Japanese name for the Zitting Cisticola Cisticola juncidis, based on the Japanese interpretation of its call ("often heard in distance").

Well done!

Björn

PS. In my judgement the most likely call would be the courtship call, and probably the end of it, while descending. The end of this call is in western field guides (Birds of East Asia, by Mark Brazil, 2009) transcribed as "chat chat chat". And why not, in Japanese ears: dja dja (dja).

Recap from #50 (as this thread is getting hard to survey), the following are the only remaining ones i James's list:

Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1944 Goura scheepmakeri wadai Yamashina, 14 (1), p. 1
= CHECK!

●Buturlin, S. A. 1929. Sistematicheskiye zametki o ptitsakh Severnogo Kavkaza.
1929 Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin, p. 15
[Бутурлин С.А. 1926. Птицы Северного Кавказа. Систематические заметки о птицах Северного Кавказа]

Dōbutsugaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tametomo Momiyama, 35, p. 412
[Doubutsugaku zasshi alt. Dobutsu-gaku Zasshi (動物学雑誌)]

Ezhegodnik Muzeya Poltavskogo Gubernskogo Zemstva 1914-1915. Poltava.
1917 Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 3-4, pp. 82+
[Гавриленко Н.И. 1917. Предварительные сведения о птицах Полтавской губернии // Ежегодник Музея Полтавского Губернского Земства 1914–1915. Полтава, С. 21–95]

The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts, …
1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87
[The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts; embracing Mineralogy, Geology, Natural History, Physics, &c.]

Transactions of the Natural History Society of Formosa. Taihoku [= Taipei].
1927 Zosterops palpebrosa kikutii Momiyama, 17, p. 304
= CHECK! (... even if still "unseen" in today's HBW Alive Key ;))

●Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornitofauna gornogo khrebta Bassek, ee ekologicheskiye i zoologicheskiye svyazi.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova, p.?
[Уварова. 1950. Орнитофауна горного хребта Бассег, ее экологические и зоогеографическне связи (автореферат), Сев. Урал]

Quarterly journal of the Calcutta Medical and Physical Society.
1937 Palœornis cuculio McClelland, 1 (3), p. 322
= CHECK!
1937 Phasianus ryanius McClelland, 1 (3), p. 322 = CHECK!

(●Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.)
1977 Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado-Ruíz, 3, p. 36?
1981 Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruiz, vol.7?, p.?...

Only six Journals (or eight birds) to go!
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back