• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2018 (2 Viewers)

It would be nice if Springwatch went further North for a change as the last few areas in recent times have been in places in Southern England or near there such as Wales. Possibly areas in Northern England, Scotland or Northern Ireland and one belonging to a smaller organisation such as the County Wildlife Trusts or Scottish Wildlife Trust instead of one of the big wildlife charity’s,
Ian.

It would be nice if Springwatch went further North for a change as the last few areas in recent times have been in places in Southern England or near there such as Wales. Possibly areas in Northern England, Scotland or Northern Ireland and one belonging to a smaller organisation such as the County Wildlife Trusts or Scottish Wildlife Trust instead of one of the big wildlife charity’s,
Ian.
Yeah that be good, enjoyed it so far Steve Backshall is a great guest presenter prefer him to Martin.

Martin got pushed, as he was a middle aged white male, who wasn't representative of British Society allegedly. In fact, he said as much himself.

We record SW to watch later in the evening This allows us to fast forward Martin's female replacement. We just cannot get on with her hesitant style and arm waving.

Dave

We record SW to watch later in the evening This allows us to fast forward Martin's female replacement. We just cannot get on with her hesitant style and arm waving.

Dave

Couldn't agree more. Her awkwardness detracts from what she is saying, which is not exactly what you want in a presenter.

Malcolm

Yes, we thought she might improve over time but sadly this has not happened.

Sandra, when the camera is on the wildlife and not her, we will stop fast forward to watch it . Agree Scotland is great, back up to Mull in a few weeks for our usual summer visit.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

I had real problems with Chris Packham, when he first started presenting the show, but as the years have gone by and I've learnt more about him, I've really warmed to him.

I suspect Gillian will improve as time goes by, although she is not being helped by the BBC using her in areas she is not best suited too. I don't think she has found her niche in the show yet, and it shows in her presentation, that still comes across as nervous. That said, her delivery has improved on last year. I've never noticed the "arm waving", but the halting type of speech is not easy on the ear. Both can be easily coached out.

I also don't think she should be viewed as a replacement for Martin. She is not being used in the same way, and if anything, she is currently a direct replacement for what Simon King used to do. As I said, the BBC are not really using her to her strengths.

My biggest question is why aren't the BBC using Iolo Williams more?

Yes, we thought she might improve over time but sadly this has not happened.

Sandra, when the camera is on the wildlife and not her, we will stop fast forward to watch it . Agree Scotland is great, back up to Mull in a few weeks for our usual summer visit.

Cheers

Dave

Just turn the sound off if she irritates you :t:

Springwatch webcams down probably due to the severe thunderstorm that was happening. Newcastle Upon Tyne near where I live has not had any of those severe thunderstorms that large parts of the country have had since last weekend. Today dry, sunny and hot and similar tomorrow in the Newcastle area.
Ian.

I thought it was a great programme tonight. Gary's item about Nightingales was very moving and I thought Chris's explanation of how birdsong is produced worked really well. Even Gillian seemed much more relaxed and easier to watch too. I am not sure why they feel compelled to force some poor soul to spend the night in a tree or stand up to their chest in water to pull in the viewers, though.

Ron

Watching the live Springwatch webcams this evening, it’s been more or less torrential rain with thunder and lightening since before 6.00pm and I’ve never seen anything like it in the UK for years. I’m sure there will be some localised flooding in the area.
Ian.

They seem to have replaced him with another middle aged white male so perhaps that wasn't the reason.

I though he got replaced by the non white, female presenter hence two category ticks for the BBC.

Regardless, I think she's nowhere near as good as any of the established presenters, male or female and

If the BBC are intent on diversity for the sake of it, the replacements should be a least as good as those they replace?

I'd like Kate Humble back.

A

Last edited:
I was reprimanded by a forum member last year when I criticised her, so I won't say a lot. However, I wince every time she starts yet another sentence with 'Now' or 'So'.

Anyway Iolo is back next week, so I am looking forward to that. I wonder who the third guest presenter will be? Nick Baker perhaps.

Ron

Caught the 1st eppy...fantastic program, I'm hooked..!!

Don't know how many there are but I have the next 3 episodes bookmarked. Looking forward to binge watching next week.

Tks to the OP for the heads up.

I'm afraid Gillian has proved to be a weak presenter. It hasn't improved from last year. Her halting style of delivery, pausing in the wrong places in sentences is annoying, and in one short section, she used "Now" to start every sentence - 8 times in total. The shame is that it's detracting from what ought to be a highlight of the show - wildlife in the Shetland Isles, and particularly otters.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back