• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa announces 1.6x extender for small body scopes! (1 Viewer)

An alternate approach would be for Kowa to remount the 25-60X Wide zoom eyepiece (which has ED elements) for the System S scopes.

As I've said before, it seems like Kowa is cutting back on SKUs. I hope they don't cut the TE-14WD. If they did, we should gather up our torches and pitchforks and surround Kowa headquarters. :storm:

Hi,

a direct remount won't work due to the field stop of the 25-60 wide zoom being too large (21.4mm vs 17,6mm for the 30 wide of the small body scopes).
There was a reason they put a wider bayonet on there...

The could do a scaled design though... but that's another item to stock..

Joachim

Hi,

a direct remount won't work due to the field stop of the 25-60 wide zoom being too large (21.4mm vs 17,6mm for the 30 wide of the small body scopes).
There was a reason they put a wider bayonet on there...

The could do a scaled design though... but that's another item to stock..

Joachim

Good point. In the smaller bodied scopes a 15-45X W might be marketable, considering they will have the 1.6X converter to extend the zoom, and assuming they could get the optical goodies squeezed into the hole.

Last edited:
Hi,

the problem is actually at the low mag end - low magnification with a wide field means a large field stopdiameter.
They could do a 25-60x with the same TFOV as in the large scopes, that is 2.4-1.3 deg, but it is not going to be the same EP.

Joachim

Hello again...

Optical instruments are a compromise for all of us. Here are just a few issues to consider.

• Size
  • Weight
  • Support
  • Exit pupil (i.e., brightness)
  • Objective aperture
  • Magnification
  • True Field of View (TFOV)
  • Apparent Field of View (AFOV)
  • Eye relief
  • Eyepiece options
  • Close focus distance
  • Focus mechanism
  • Prism mechanism
  • Intended objects to be observed
  • Observer's requirements
  • Never-ending Kit
  • Storage
  • Transportation
  • Protection
  • Durability
  • Sharing with others
  • Cost
  • etc.
  • etc.
  • etc.

Hi,

since nobody has reviewed the extender yet, I bought one and had a test drive with my old Kowas... for me it was a mixed bag, although this is not really the fault of the extender... some non-standard parts of my setup are plagued with backfocus problems with the extender...

I used two TSN-3 bodies (both are the old model without the protective glass above the prism) - one stock and one on which sb. has done some creative repair of a broken prism seat which results in some less backfocus and a slightly lower allowably outer diameter of the EPs.
The following EPs were used: Kowa TE 14WD aka the modern 30 wide, an old 60x fixed EP, the old 20-60x zoom from the 90s, my Opticron SDLv2 (8-24mm zoom or 18-52x on the Kowa) and an Opticron HDF 40861 (5mm or 84x on the Kowa - no direct fit but I'll print an adapter). I don't own the current Kowa 20-60x zoom, the TE-9Z - it would be interesting to try it with the extender... when I get the opportunity, I'll let you know.

- TE 14 WD: very nice at 45x, has 1/3 to 1/4 turn beyond infinity in the stock body but is quite short sighted in the modified one - there it doesn't focus beyond a few ten meters.

- the old 60x: is sharp at 96x and 1/3 to 1/4 turn beyond infinity in the stock body but is quite short sighted in the modified one - there it doesn't focus beyond a few ten meters

- the old 20-60x: ok at 96x and it has more than 1/2 a turn beyond infinity in the stock body, in the modified one it doesn't focus at low mag end but has more than 1/3 of a turn beyond infinity at 60x.

- SDLv2: nice and sharp in the stock body at 28-84x for normal birding ranges, almost reaches focus at infinity, no way at any range in the modifed one.

- 40861: sharp at 134x, more than 1 turn beyond infinity in the stock body, just comes to focus at infinity in the modified one

Top magnification was 134x with the Opticron 40861 and 96x with the old 60x fixed EP and the abominable 20-60x zoom from the 90s (strange enough the zoom is less terrible with the extender at max magnification than without - it seems the slower effective focal ratio of f8.8 of the body plus extender is more to its taste than the super fast f5.5 of the body alone).

- At around 90x the exit pupil is around 0.9mm - quite usable in good light. The 134x with an exit pupil of 0.6 is fine for bright astro objects like luna or planets but too dark for terrestial. Careful eye placement is needed for good results and the 134 will show all the floaters your eyes have...

- Backfocus is critical with the extender - Kowa EPs and bodies will probably work fine unless you have a very strong prescription and no glasses. If you use funny combinations like me, some luck is needed...

So will I keep it? That is an interesting question - I planned to use it either on the modified/repaired body with the 30 wide as a 45 wide (doesn't work beyond some ten meters) or with the SDLv2 in my stock body for 32-84x. The latter combination doesn't quite come to focus at infinity but is fine for birding distances. So it will probably stay on there.

If you have an ED or fluorite small body scope and use Kowa EPs, the extender will work great and give more reach as expected.
With normal glass bodies, it will turn the 25x LER into a 40x LER which should work well, the 30 wide at 45x will be borderline and nothing will be gained with the zoom as the plain glass bodies are hard stretched beyond 40-45x.

Joachim

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Joachim.
Interesting.

I still can use a 0.5mm exit pupil with one eye and perhaps 0.35mm with the other eye even during the day in very bright sunshine with the sun at 20 degrees elevation illuminating the scene.

But usually the scope and double glazing gives the best results with an exit pupil of 0.7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back