• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Additions to the ABA Check-list (1 Viewer)

mb1848

Four birds added to the ABA check-list. Most interesting to me is the committee is struggling over the common name of the River Warbler.
"There is still a question as to whether the bird will be represented on the ABA Checklist as “Eurasian River Warbler” as it is on the Clements list or, as is preferred by some on the committee, simply “River Warbler”. The committee has asked the American Ornithologist’s Society Classification Committee for guidance on the name to use for this bird."
http://blog.aba.org/2018/05/aba-checklist-committee-adds-four-species-to-aba-checklist.html .
There already is a River Warbler in the new world . Phaeothlypis rivularis WIED-NEUWIED 1821. HBW calls them Southern River Warbler. Neotropical River Warbler and Eurasian River Warbler makes sense to me.
Looking at the SACC site first they put the bird in a new genus and they gave the bird a new common name: Myiothlypis rivularis Riverbank Warbler Although usually called "River Warbler" in New World literature, this is the long-standing name of Old World Locustella fluviatilis; therefore, we reluctantly create a new English name, which retains as much similarity as possible to the historical name. Clements & Shany (2001) called it "Neotropical River Warbler," Mazar Barnett & Pearman (2001) called it "Streamside Warbler," and Hilty (2003) called it "Riverside Warbler." Sibley and Monroe 1990 called fluviatilis Eurasian River Warbler.
Also of interest the committee's interpretation of Rock Dove population dynamics in the Indian Peafowl case same? as that of the 2018 AOS check-list??

Last edited:
Four birds added to the ABA check-list. Most interesting to me is the committee is struggling over the common name of the River Warbler.
"There is still a question as to whether the bird will be represented on the ABA Checklist as “Eurasian River Warbler” as it is on the Clements list or, as is preferred by some on the committee, simply “River Warbler”. The committee has asked the American Ornithologist’s Society Classification Committee for guidance on the name to use for this bird."
http://blog.aba.org/2018/05/aba-checklist-committee-adds-four-species-to-aba-checklist.html .
There already is a River Warbler in the new world . Phaeothlypis rivularis WIED-NEUWIED 1821. HBW calls them Southern River Warbler. Neotropical River Warbler and Eurasian River Warbler makes sense to me.
Looking at the SACC site first they put the bird in a new genus and they gave the bird a new common name: Myiothlypis rivularis Riverbank Warbler Although usually called "River Warbler" in New World literature, this is the long-standing name of Old World Locustella fluviatilis; therefore, we reluctantly create a new English name, which retains as much similarity as possible to the historical name. Clements & Shany (2001) called it "Neotropical River Warbler," Mazar Barnett & Pearman (2001) called it "Streamside Warbler," and Hilty (2003) called it "Riverside Warbler." Sibley and Monroe 1990 called fluviatilis Eurasian River Warbler.
Also of interest the committee's interpretation of Rock Dove population dynamics in the Indian Peafowl case same? as that of the 2018 AOS check-list??

Regarding the peafowl, they didn't really elaborate in the blog post, but I think what they are getting at is that both Rock Pigeons and Indian/Common Peafowl are often "semi-released" by owners. Feral "homing" Pigeons are often let loose to fly around and return to their coops - though sometimes they don't. And the peafowl are often allowed to wander the grounds of a zoo, estate, or park (much like domestic waterfowl) for decoration and amusement - though they are free to wander off if they see fit. Not to try to put words in their mouth, but in both cases I think the committee believes the effect of these birds that wander off is negligible or at least not a factor in the sustainment of the population.

I do think this decision is interesting in light of peafowl populations in Florida and California. My understanding is that captive release/escape is not much of a factor in both of those areas, while in Hawaii there are still lots of big estates with peacocks being "kept" on the grounds. The committee may feel that the mainland birds are more dependent on humans than the Hawaiian birds are, but I truly don't see that big of a difference in "countability" between the three populations, as they all seem to breed healthily. But then again I live in any of those areas, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Thank you Kirk I used to live in an area where Peafowl seem to have a a steady population. I asked around if people were buying new ones to increase the population and everyone denied it. The peacocks make a very loud call that sounds like a woman crying for help. Which was disconcerting.

Regarding the peafowl, they didn't really elaborate in the blog post, but I think what they are getting at is that both Rock Pigeons and Indian/Common Peafowl are often "semi-released" by owners. Feral "homing" Pigeons are often let loose to fly around and return to their coops - though sometimes they don't. And the peafowl are often allowed to wander the grounds of a zoo, estate, or park (much like domestic waterfowl) for decoration and amusement - though they are free to wander off if they see fit. Not to try to put words in their mouth, but in both cases I think the committee believes the effect of these birds that wander off is negligible or at least not a factor in the sustainment of the population.

I do think this decision is interesting in light of peafowl populations in Florida and California. My understanding is that captive release/escape is not much of a factor in both of those areas, while in Hawaii there are still lots of big estates with peacocks being "kept" on the grounds. The committee may feel that the mainland birds are more dependent on humans than the Hawaiian birds are, but I truly don't see that big of a difference in "countability" between the three populations, as they all seem to breed healthily. But then again I live in any of those areas, so perhaps I'm missing something.

I've seen a couple of threads recently where in America, Rock Dove is being conflated, compared with Feral Pigeon and other semi domesticated races.

In the UK at least, Rock Dove is an uncommon bird, found in only a few,mainly coastal locations, you won't see one in Trafalgar Square.

Even Zimmer in the discussion about the proposed name change talks of his association of the species with oily, Feral Pigeons. Are there in fact any genuine Rock Pigeons in the Americas? Even Wikipedia (I know I know) shows pictures of flocks of feral pigeons under Rock Dove.

Rock Doves are distinct in plumage and habitat preference, they should not be under the same banner IMHO, in 99% of places, what you have are feral pigeons, not Rock Doves.

The only Rock Doves on my list have been seen in cliff top, coastal fields or on cliff faces with Guillemots and Gannets.

A

Because the two are still considered the same species they are "under the same banner". Same thing with feral pheasants in Europe and the US, and with Barbary Dove.

Niels

Because the two are still considered the same species they are "under the same banner". Same thing with feral pheasants in Europe and the US, and with Barbary Dove.

Niels

A Common Pheasant is a Common Pheasant anywhere in the World but a Stock Dove is not the same as a feral Pigeon....

A

A Common Pheasant is a Common Pheasant anywhere in the World but a Stock Dove is not the same as a feral Pigeon....

A

Barbary dove is probably a closer example, it is much paler than African Collared Dove, only occurs as feral, but is still considered the same species.

Niels

as others say, within the ABA area there is no separation between a park pigeon and the very wild acting birds you find in places like Devil's Tower and so forth

The European Robin one is interesting, as there are other east coast records IIRC, but they are usually assumed to be escapees. I think there was also a recent bird on a cruise ship as well?

The north-eastern most birds are supposed to be migratory, so a true vagrant seems possible.

Niels

A

Well, its a Ring-necked Pheasant here in the states.... and it may or may not be a Green Pheasant depending on whose data you believe - these things just get complicated. Then you can have breeds like the Manchurian Ringneck or White-wing or the Kansas Blueback or the Black Pheasant - enthusiasts would not consider those to all be the same. As always, names are only important depending on if and how you use them.

I think the Barbary Dove/African Collared Dove is a good example of a similar treatment in a biological sense, but I believe there is more of a gray area in word usage for the pigeon/dove case. There are people who are content to call them all Rock Pigeons/Rock Doves no matter what color they may be, there are those who use Feral Pigeon for city birds and Rock Dove for those in either native range or "native habitat" and there are people who use them interchangeably without a second thought. Another analog worth thinking about might be a "Red Junglefowl" vs. a "Chicken." There is a clear difference between them.... but where is the line?

I'll also note that eBird is insistent that Rock Pigeon is reserved for native-area only birds, and that "Rock Pigeon(feral type)" is to be used for all New World and other introduced populations, no matter how "wild-type" they may look or act.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back