• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon PH157Q head on a Slim 88 Black Diamond tripod? (1 Viewer)

bobblejack

Bobblejack
I have a Slik 88 Black Diamond tripod which is years old and hardly been used. It has a 3 way pan and tilt head which is not very good. When you tighten things up the scope seems to move off position. Would changing the head to possibly a Velbon PH157Q head make any difference and would it fit directly on to the Slik tripod? I'm asking the question now because I have just acquired an Opticron GS 665 GA scope with 27× HR eyepiece and am trying to match it to a useful tripod as cheaply as possible. Once I have the tripod sorted it'll be just a matter of getting a stay-on case. If I can do all this without falling foul of my wife it will be some achievement!3:)

The Velbon PH157Q is a decent piece of kit and should fit directly on your Slik, assuming that tripod has the usual 1/4 inch fitting.
The head is maybe oversized for my tiny Nikon ED50 scope, but your Opticron should be an excellent match.

Got the Velbon and it seems to be a lot better than the existing Slik head, much smoother and easier to control. I like the quick release plate and find it really easy to use. The head appears to be well made and very good value. (Also got the stay-on case and my wife is still talking to me!) 3:)

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience with the Manfrotto BeFree tripod with a scope? Looks to be a great lightweight portable tripod on paper. Wondered if it would be good with an Opticron GS665?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back