• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seafield to Kinghorn (2 Viewers)

LOL.... I wondered why you weren't shouting it from the roof tops!!!

Hope all goes well with the next trip Paul.... hear there's some bad weather coming in next week?

February

February was a tough month along the strip. I'd have thought that the unseasonally mild weather would have encouraged a bit of extra activity, but the opposite was true. For most of the month, a lot of my regulars were noticable by their absence.

I didn't make as many tours as I usually would, due to being laid up with a chest infection, however, on my final visit before I departed offshore, things were just starting to move a little; with the return of Yellowhammer and Skylark being the most notable.

A first walk along the strip yesterday produced my first Bullfinch (a pair) of the year for the patch. Generally a lot more activity in the scrub, with Linnet also turning up for the first time this year.

The shoreline though, was notably quiet. No Turnstones, Purple Sands or Rock Pipits. Out on the Forth, it was equally quiet, with highlight being a few distant L-T Ducks.

It's Spring.

Increasing activity along the strip now. Plenty of Finch and Bunting evident, with Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer.

Blackbird, Wren, Robin and Dunnock all laying verbal stake to territories, with the occasional dust up witnessed. Surprise of the day was a Coal Tit. Most welcome bird of the day was my first Chiffchaff of the year, sounding off at the back of Lime Kiln Beach. Took me 20 mins or so to get a definite visual, but worth the wait. Spring has arrived. :t:

Attachments

• DSCN4570.jpg
    DSCN4570.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN4575.jpg
    DSCN4575.jpg
    749 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN4584.jpg
    DSCN4584.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 11
I returned to the strip this afternoon for the first time since Saturday. Bright sun and blustery conditions seemed to be encouraging the birds to keep their heads down, but in the more sheltered corners, there was an explosion of Peacock Butterflies pairing off and dancing in the air above the flowering Hawthorn patches.

Most surprising birds of the day were Purple Sandpiper. A small group seen in the harbour were the first I've seen for a few weeks. Also a couple of Long-Tailed Duck seen out on the Forth. Again, a bird I thought had long departed. It's not autumn already is it? :eek!:

Scrub was pretty quiet, although I briefly heard a Chiffchaff in the Blackthorn below the Phone Mast.

Reaching the back of Lime Kiln Beach, I found another Chiffchaff. Probably the same bird as a few days ago, as it was in pretty much the same spot. Managed to get a record shot this time.

On the way back to the car, I managed to get a sighting of the Phone Mast bird also.

Attachments

• DSCN4594.jpg
    DSCN4594.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN4597.jpg
    DSCN4597.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 22
First visit in 3 weeks today. It was cool and misty, but a few summer arrivals were evident. Sandwich Terns on the rocks. Willow Warbler and Common Whitethroat in the bushes. :t:

On Friday, I was able to add Sand Martin and Blackcap to the year list. A pair of Bullfinch were found in Bullfinch Cove, and most surprisingly, twenty-three Purple Sandpiper were counted on the harbour blocks. Surprising, as they seemed to have left previously.

Summer arrivals seem to be a bit slow this year, but they are gradually getting here.

A few record shots from last week.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff.jpg
    Chiffchaff.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Eider.jpg
    Eider.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Mr Bull.jpg
    Mr Bull.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Mrs Bull.jpg
    Mrs Bull.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Purps.jpg
    Purps.jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 14
Arrivals

Summer birds are continuing to arrive. An early morning session produced year ticks for Sedge Warbler, Common Tern, Swallow and House Martin.

Also nice to see a Kestrel on the strip again.

The mix of Sandwich and Common Terns were sat on the rocks at the tower. A few of them were seen with Sand Eels hanging from their bills

Attachments

• DSCN4816.jpg
    DSCN4816.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN4836.jpg
    DSCN4836.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN4812.jpg
    DSCN4812.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 18
Thursday was very blustery and bright with a drop in air temperature that had me reaching for an extra layer again. The wind was blowing straight into Seafield, which is unusual. It had a lot of the gulls and Eiders seeking shelter in spots where they do not usually congregate; such as Tower Cove. It was here that I found my first Eider-lings of the year.

There was little showing, with the only bird of note being a new entry to the patch year list, in the shape of a Kittiwake. Also, an Orange Tip butterfly was seen, which I think is a patch first. I'll need to put together a Butterfly/Moth list.

Early today was grey and calm, with a few more of the regulars showing, but I have to admit that it is hard work this year to keep going, especially when I see some of the stuff going through nearby locations. I checked my records just in case I was imagining the lack of birds, but right enough, I am down approx 10% in the species count on last year.

Anyway, that is it until mid June. I'm off to do some compulsory sea watching.

Attachments

• DSCN5071.jpg
    DSCN5071.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN5072.jpg
    DSCN5072.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 18
There has been little to report along the strip over the last few weeks. The few highlights have been a Common Sandpiper, a flock of 61 Goosander and a pair of Peregrine.

The Peregrine were in the same area that I have previously been seeing Sparrowhawks, so of course I fell for a misidentification based on assumption, until I looked at the photos just before posting this.

Attachments

• DSCN5591.jpg
    DSCN5591.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 21
Patch Tick

I hadn't realised that it has been so long between patch ticks. My first tick of the year flew over on Thursday, heading south. Initially I thought they were Pinkies, as I only saw them at distance in a murky early morning half-light, but on examining the photos, and with a check on the ID page, I am happy to say that Canada Goose makes the list.

113. Canada Goose

Also around were a Wheatear (possibly two), a Bar-Tailed Godwit and a good number of Blackcaps. At the seawall, there was a significant congregation of House Martins.

Attachments

• DSCN5728.jpg
    DSCN5728.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN5724.jpg
    DSCN5724.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 15
List boost

From the strip, I can look across the Forth to Musselburgh. I often do so, wishing that some of the birds they get there would wander across to me. On Wednesday, I took a drive to Musselburgh, and was busy searching for birds from the seawall, when a Fife text alert came through that a Pomarine Skua, four Artic Skuas and a Med Gull had been seen at Seafield. so, there I was on the other side of the Forth, looking across and wishing some of the birds at Seafield would wander across to me. You couldn't make it up.

On the bright side, the Pomarine Skua is a new entry to the list

114. Pomarine Skua*

The Arctics would have been a personal patch tick, and the Med Gull a patch year tick, but that's the way it goes. To rub salt into the wound, I dipped on my three target species at Musselburgh, although I did get one year tick. A Brown Rat!

Friday saw me return to the strip. Making my way along the path past the harbour, I looked up as a flock of about a dozen birds passed by heading up the Forth. They were so low, and close in, that I didn't even need the binoculars for this ID. So my third new entry to the patch list, in just over a week is

115. Brent Goose

Last edited:
A couple of new arrivals seen on Thursday. A Stonechat was very evident between the car park and the seawall. Walking back to the car park later, I again saw a Stonechat near the harbour area, but believe it to be the same bird.

Also seen between the harbour and the tower were a passing flock of Wigeon. A nice addition to the patch year list. :t:

Photos

Attached record shots of last week's Brent and Wigeon, along with the Stonechat.

Attachments

• DSCN5868.jpg
    DSCN5868.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN5958.jpg
    DSCN5958.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN5956.jpg
    DSCN5956.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 18
Due to other commitments, I only managed a flying visit to the strip, last on Wednesday afternoon. With only an hour to spare, I only made it to the tower and back, but it was enough to confirm that my winter regulars have started moving in. Purple Sandpipers were seen at the harbour, and Rock Pipits at the tower.

Early Thursday morning saw me return for a fuller examination. The only summer species left were Sandwich Terns. A large flock of Goldfinch were hammering the Teasel behind the seawall, while behind Lime Kiln Beach, a large flock of Long-Tailed Tits were working their way along the path.

Best bird of the day however would normally have gone to the Goldeneye I spotted heading up the Forth. Without consulting my records, I think this is only the second seen along the strip.

The Goldeneye however was trumped by a new entry to the list, when four Rooks flew over. It has been a long wait for a bird that is relatively common.

116. Rook

Attachments

• DSCN5999.jpg
    DSCN5999.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I arrived at the carpark at 09:30 hrs, with high tide having been about an hour earlier.
My hope was that with the high levels of water, I might find a winter Kingfisher on the few un-submerged rocks close in to the path between the harbour and the tower.

Heading south along the path towards the harbour, I came across another birder heading back to the car park. We chatted briefly, during which he informed me that he had seen a small group of Long-Tailed Duck. He also thought he'd seen a Little Auk, but was doubtful himself.

Moving on, I soon found the L-T Ducks, just out from the harbour. On the pebbly shore of the harbour, a couple of Wagtails were flitting about. Initially I thought they were male and female Yarrellii, but after watching them for a while, I concluded that one of the birds was probably an Alba (see what you think from photos).

Moving on again, I reached the tower without encountering any Kingfishers. Always an optimistic target I suppose.

Beyond the tower, there was little bird action. Leaden skies and cool temperatures not encouraging much to show. Great Tit was the only bird of note (L-TD excepted) by this point, with it being new for the month. I thought of cutting my visit short, but decided to push on to the benches, at least.

With nothing unexpected making the list, I turned back at the benches, having sat for a short while to sea watch. The journey back was pretty uneventful, apart from an overhead Yellowhammer, until I was about halfway down the slope approaching the tower. Stopping briefly to scan the rocks in the cove, a flash of blue was picked up, and I was onto a Kingfisher. A welcome addition to the year list. Hopefully, it will stay for the winter.

Passing the tower, a new addition for the month popped up in the scrub, in the shape of a male Stonechat.

With the L-T Ducks having arrived, I am only short Red-Breasted Mergansers to have a full set of my regular winter residents. Although I still have high hopes of a Black Redstart appearing on the strip.

Attachments

• Alba Wag.jpg
    Alba Wag.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN6043.jpg
    DSCN6043.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN6045.jpg
    DSCN6045.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN6059.jpg
    DSCN6059.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 20
Wet November

Only three visits made to the strip during November, mainly due to consistent wet weather. My normal winter birds are now well ensconced, but there was been little else to report. Highlights were a close in Red-throated Diver at the tower, a Sparrowhawk that flew over my head at low altitude, while I was watching the diver, and a close encounter with a Grey Wagtail that was hunting in the flooded area behind the sea wall.

Attachments

• DSCN6194.jpg
    DSCN6194.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN6199.jpg
    DSCN6199.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN6249.jpg
    DSCN6249.jpg
    769.1 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back