• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

22/11/11 New reedbed pool Geoff Williams 4 Dunlin, Karl Sargent 109 Golden Plover but later only a few with 200 Lapwing. Karl heard a Green Sand earlier, Little Egret present, 211 Fieldfare N-S.
Mid section Goldeneye, west mid section Geoff Williams fem/imm Stonechat.
North pit 2 Little Egret, Redshank, Dunlin.
Warks side Barn Owl and 2 Winter moth in the RSPB carpark.

Regards, John

RSPB Middleton lakes

22/11/11 New reedbed pool Geoff Williams 4 Dunlin, Karl Sargent 109 Golden Plover but later only a few with 200 Lapwing. Karl heard a Green Sand earlier, Little Egret present, 211 Fieldfare N-S.
Mid section Goldeneye, west mid section Geoff Williams fem/imm Stonechat.
North pit 2 Little Egret, Redshank, Dunlin.
Warks side Barn Owl and 2 Winter moth in the RSPB carpark.

Regards, John

Karl saw a Short-eared Owl again in Warks, over the meadow adjoining the RSPB carpark (known as the play meadow) when leaving the reserve.

Regards, John

Lesser spotted woodpecker

The common consensus is that the Lesser spotted woodpecker was taken by the sparrowhawk that "uses" that feeding station.
Having been seen on numerous occasions to mid October, there have been no sightings since.

The common consensus is that the Lesser spotted woodpecker was taken by the sparrowhawk that "uses" that feeding station.
Having been seen on numerous occasions to mid October, there have been no sightings since.

Reported on November 20th by one of their volunteers on the Facebook page.

Adam

26/11/11 New reedbed pool 4 Dunlin, 2 Redshank, 260 Lapwing, small number of Golden Plover with 200 Golden Plover over South.
North pit Snipe and Little Egret with water rail in phragmites by the canal.

Regards, John

1/12/11 Dosthill NR Reserve side 4 Goldeneye, Hybrid Snow Goose and Little Egret over , there could be a Bittern present but normally only seen here when the lake is frozen.
If a hide was built on this pleasant lake you could imagine people spending hours here relaxing and waiting to see Bittern or a Smew to drop in, however the lake has been taken over by other groups.
The large entrance gate, the bottom hinge has been removed so anyone bringing a car in to fish just lifts the gate of it's hinges, so locks no good with this gate.
Looking over the river from the high Dosthill bund on the New reedbed section were 3 Dunlin, 2 Redshank and 300 Lapwing.

Regards, John

6/12/11 New Reed pool 2 Redshank and 3 Dunlin, later Geoff (AGW) seeing a male Stonechat on reeds here.
I did not see the 1st win male Smew on the mid West pools ( can be hidden in the mid pool or feeding on the river and coming into roost). Geoff did see the Smew later also a Peregrine through. I noted 6 Goldeneye with another on the river a Cett's in the ditch by the canal and a Little Egret towards the north pit.
Dosthill NR Hybrid Snow Goose and a Goldeneye.

Regards, John

With the mention of Hides???

Does anyone know the current situation with the erection of the new hide at Middleton? Also, I was told by one of the Wardens that work on the bridge across the river would be completed by the end of November! Has work even started yet? Any information appreciated.

Regards

Moocher

Hides & Bridge

Does anyone know the current situation with the erection of the new hide at Middleton? Also, I was told by one of the Wardens that work on the bridge across the river would be completed by the end of November! Has work even started yet? Any information appreciated.

Regards

Moocher

Hi Moocher, The RSPB already have funds for the hide however when the bridge is put in by Hanson's the RSPB will receive another grant and Head Warden Nick Martin would prefer to use the money from this source for the new hide.
So it appears no hide until the bridge is put in, Hanson's suggesting by the end of the year, this may mean Tax year whcih I believe ends in early April.
Also from these funds the RSPB hope to have toilets in the car park area and terrapins for their education programme.

Regards, John

DBP Mid West pools photo's of the 1st win Male Smew were taken yesterday by Bob Duckhouse pictures on his blog Bob the Birder. This area always attracting Smew but not all returning birds as a few 1st win drakes have been here early in the winter

Regards, John

Hi Moocher, The RSPB already have funds for the hide however when the bridge is put in by Hanson's the RSPB will receive another grant and Head Warden Nick Martin would prefer to use the money from this source for the new hide.
So it appears no hide until the bridge is put in, Hanson's suggesting by the end of the year, this may mean Tax year whcih I believe ends in early April.
Also from these funds the RSPB hope to have toilets in the car park area and terrapins for their education programme.

Regards, John

Thanks for the info John.

Ruddy Shelduck Hybrid

Frequenting Drayton Bassett pits over the years and confusing a few birders, maybe coming over from Drayton Manor park lakes and last seen and photographed by Chris Cook 5th December 2011.

Regards, John

Attachments

• Ruddy Shelduck hybrid.JPG
    Ruddy Shelduck hybrid.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 19
Frequenting Drayton Bassett pits over the years and confusing a few birders, maybe coming over from Drayton Manor park lakes and last seen and photographed by Chris Cook 5th December 2011.

Regards, John
I've seen this bird occasionally at Midd Lakes over the last 5 years and often wondered what it was. Thanks for the good photo. It looks like a drake Cape Shelduck to me, perhaps the same one that was seen on Dosthill Lake on 1/1/98.
I have looked at various photos on flickr.com and it looks right for one, what do others think?
Obviously an escape of course.
Geoff

Cape Shelduck

I've seen this bird occasionally at Midd Lakes over the last 5 years and often wondered what it was. Thanks for the good photo. It looks like a drake Cape Shelduck to me, perhaps the same one that was seen on Dosthill Lake on 1/1/98.
I have looked at various photos on flickr.com and it looks right for one, what do others think?
Obviously an escape of course.
Geoff

Well Done Geoff looked in my birds of Africa book and looks like a male South African (cape Shelduck).
However bird seen in past was a hybrid Ruddy Shelduck so this is a different bird.

Regards, John

22/12/11 DBP 21 Golden Plover and 550 Lapwing moblie between North pit and newreedbed pit, also 2 Stonechat, Water Rail, Little Egret and 6 Goldeneye.
Dosthill NR Raven, Water Rail, Little egret.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back