• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (3 Viewers)

Many thanks for the details, haven’t had much of a chance to get out birding yet, we seem to be doing a lot of babysitting!
I’m going on the Friday morning conducted bird walk in Central Park so should be interesting, did dog and baby walking duties in Carl Schurtz Park yesterday, no sign there of fall colours yet.
Off to Callicoon for the weekend, should be some stuff there.

Thanks again for posting, Arthur.

I noticed on eBird that someone had two Evening Grosbeaks in the park recently. Here's hoping you get some, too!

Waterfowl and a sparrow

Hello all,

Yesterday, I visited the Reservoir, officially the Jackie Onassis Reservoir, where I saw more ruddy ducks, a few of which had some ruddy colour. and several buffleheads, a small diving duck, which should be visiting through the end of April. Earlier that day, I saw white crowned sparrows, near Sparrow Rock, and on Turtle Pond were my first hooded mergansers of the season.

Today, I was at Turtle Pond, around 11 AM. I saw no mergansers, and only a couple of turtles. I carefully looked at the edge of the southern shore, especially under overhanging branches and was surprised to find four pairs of wood ducks. Three hours later, I was told, that only one was visible.

I saw no warblers but I did see white breasted nuthatches, an Eastern towhee, plenty of titmice and song sparrows.

I add an iPod photo of the Lake, taken today.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• buffleheads.jpg
    buffleheads.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 10
  • White throated sparrow.jpg
    White throated sparrow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 10
  • hooded mergansers.jpg
    hooded mergansers.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Wood duck.jpg
    Wood duck.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Autumn morning.jpeg
    Autumn morning.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back in NYC from Callicoon, only saw a white breasted nuthatch there! Got what I think is a palm warbler last Friday in Central Park plus a few others. I’m going back to the Park tomorrow which is our last day in the US.
The fall colours were disappointing in the Catskills but were nicer on the drive back to the city despite the rain and mist.

Oops!

Hello,

Mea culpa: in my last post I attached an image of a white throated sparrow instead of a white crowned. sparrow.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• White crowned sparrow.jpg
    White crowned sparrow.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 10
LOL it happens to us all Arthur!!! I'm still blushing from some of the errors I've made!!!

Have you come across the beautiful male Mandarin Duck found in Central Park Arthur? Think it's an escapee?

Hi Arthur! Gary here, joined last night. I never thought I would become a birder but combined that with my photography and became hooked. I live in NW lower Michigan which is good for birding but now that I live 'way' out in the country I often need to drive get my fix. I don't know your situation but hope you are back at it soon.

Happy Birding

Hello Gary,

Welcome to the Forum. Are you sure you are addressing Arthur Pinewood? I am in Central Park many times each week and I am not sure whereI must return. I generally post when I see something new to the season.

Hello KC,

That mandarin duck has been seen in Central Park near the Pond, near the Plaza hotel, and at the West 79th Street boat basin on the Hudson. I have not seen it, in part, because I generally do not stray from my walk.

So far this week, I note a sharp shinned hawk, aloft and two late sightings of phoebes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Sharp shinned hawk.jpg
    Sharp shinned hawk.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 63
  • phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 9
Back in NYC from Callicoon, only saw a white breasted nuthatch there! Got what I think is a palm warbler last Friday in Central Park plus a few others. I’m going back to the Park tomorrow which is our last day in the US.
The fall colours were disappointing in the Catskills but were nicer on the drive back to the city despite the rain and mist.

Hello Footman!
:hi:

Over the last 3 or 4 decades I have spent much time in the Callicoon area mostly fly fishing for Trout and Shad on the Delaware River between Hancock, NY and Callicoon when in season and engaging in casual birding at the same time. I have a good friends who have homes and summer places on the river and many of them have Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in their back yards.

Eastern Kingbirds are very common on the river banks along with Baltimore Orioles and Scarlet Tanagers up high in the trees. Mute Swans with their broods swim in the currents. Common Mergansers are very common. There was a huge Bald Eagles Nest along the bank which has recently been abandoned, I am told, where we could watch the Eaglets through telescopes. Ospreys and Bald Eagles can be seen every day along that stretch of river. Great Blue Herons and Little Green Herons are seen along with Great Egrets. There are roads, paved and dirt, along both sides of the river.

Come back and visit it when you can stay longer.

Bob

Last edited:
A beautiful autumn day

Hello,

I have not looked for the mandarin duck.

I have kept to my usual walks but today's Marathon had me take detours and doubling back to see even a few of my usuals spots. I did get to the Reservoir where a I saw my first American coots of the season. Today, there were still hooded Mergansers on Turtle Pond, which also turn up on the Reservoir.
Earlier this week, I did see American goldfinches in autumnal plumage.

I attach two more photographs of the season's foliage.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• coots.jpg
    coots.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 10
  • American goldfinch.jpg
    American goldfinch.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Walk, Central Park.jpg
    Walk, Central Park.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Sugar maple.jpg
    Sugar maple.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Have you come across the beautiful male Mandarin Duck found in Central Park Arthur? Think it's an escapee?

Hello KC,

It may be an escape as it has a tag. No zoo has reported one missing. Ducks are not allowed to be kept as pets in New York City but New Yorkers do not always obey laws and regulations. One can always claim to be raising ducks for food. Besides as birds do fly it could have arrived from anywhere nearby.

Today, the Mandarin duck decided to move to where I walk. It was on Turtle Pond but it was being elusive, staying behind tree trunks on the south shore.
There is a video of it.

More importantly, there were still wood ducks on Turtel Pond and yesterday I saw my first fox sparrow of the season.

I include a autumnal view of the Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• Fox sparrow.jpg
    Fox sparrow.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Vista.jpg
    Vista.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 15
If it's still there in the Spring I wonder what the hybrids will look like.

Thanks for the video Arthur. I miss watching Channel 7's eyewitness news and nice view of the park Arthur.

If you don't mind could you keep me updated occasionally;) ?

chilly weather

Hello,

I had word today that the Mandarin duck was seen at the Pond. So it is still enjoying Central Park, as many visitors to New York do.

Last week, I thought I saw a gray-cheeked thrush. On Sunday I saw an American kestrel AKA a sparrow hawk. The same day and on Monday I saw a barred owl, which I had seen only once before, overlooking Azalea Pond, as well as a yellow bellied sapsucker, and a red breasted nuthatch.

Today's best bird was a pine siskin.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes/

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Attachments

• Gray cheeked Thrush.jpg
    Gray cheeked Thrush.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Sparrow hawk.jpg
    Sparrow hawk.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 8
  • barred owl.jpg
    barred owl.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Yellow bellied sapsucker II.jpg
    Yellow bellied sapsucker II.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 9
  • pine siskin.jpg
    pine siskin.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8
As to the Mandarin, once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker ;)

Sounds like it's been a pretty good bird sighting for you the past couple of weeks.

I've gotten some good Kestrel shots this past week which you can see in my Gallery if you care to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back