• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sick Male Ruby-throated? Can I help him?? (1 Viewer)

EchoBaby33

Hello!

I am worried about the male Ruby-throated that has been frequenting our feeders all summer. He ha developed a very rough and scruffy plumage, and sits around much more than usual just guarding "his" feeder. I can see that his feathers are fluffed or puffed, as if he was taking a bath, but they seem to be like this all the time. I also watched him scratch the side of his neck several times with his foot. This male has claimed a specific feeder as "his" and all summer has been guarding it, but it did not seem excessive. I am worried that maybe he somehow has been having too much of the sugar water, and is not getting enough protein from the tiny insects in flowers. Perhaps this has left him vulnerable to disease or an infestation of mites? That would explain the feathers?? Is there ANYTHING I can do?? Something I can add to the water? Can I trap him and treat him? That sounds like overkill, but but if it can be done I would like to help him. Thank you in advance for your advice!:

I'd guess that his "scruffiness" is nothing to worry about. Many birds begin moulting around this time of year and can be weird looking.
People who know more about bird health than I do will probably see your post shortly, but I'd guess that it's not a big deal.
Hummingbirds are always extremely territorial.

My thoughts are to leave it be. Mites are a huge problem for all the birds irregardless of their diet and yet they always come back from it. I trust you are using a nectar of 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water? I'd leave it be for now as trying to catch it would cause even more stress.

BTW, a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back