• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keep cats indoors advice (1 Viewer)

Get rid of the catalytic converters!!! ;)

Seriously good idea. Under Coronavirus restrictions/bailouts it would also make sense for free sterilization of all moggies. And to keep people entertained (especially older, more housebound) a switch in the mentality of cat-keeping mindset, and thus selective breeding and distribution of more 'docile' house cats that don't like going out all night as killing machines and bird catching after breakfast.

Get rid of the catalytic converters!!! ;)

Seriously good idea. Under Coronavirus restrictions/bailouts it would also make sense for free sterilization of all moggies. And to keep people entertained (especially older, more housebound) a switch in the mentality of cat-keeping mindset, and thus selective breeding and distribution of more 'docile' house cats that don't like going out all night as killing machines and bird catching after breakfast.

I'd love to see some of the cats around here 'converted' and have started a dialogue with the owner of the local 'Chinese', to that end :t: Bloody things.

Most of them around here are semi wild and and to describe them as 'pets' is really stretching the term. Changing the mindset of owners will be a toughie as they all seem to quote the 'right' of cats to roam free as it's 'in their nature'.

When I lived in Russia, people would not dream of letting their cat outside and would often be seen walking a them on a lead, just like with dogs, this is how it should be. It's time the law was changed, people have to keep dogs inside and so they should cats. There are far to many cats in the suburbs which creates an artificially high number of apex predators in many areas which takes an awful toll on all wildlife.

Last edited:
I started this thread following the advice publicised by the BBC as I thought it would be of interest to Birdforum users. I think it was quite reasonable to see a potential benefit to birds if the possibility of virus transmission resulted in cats being kept indoors.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back