• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

from the rumor site (1 Viewer)

The Oly is also 78g (2.75oz lighter); not a major difference, but not trivial if you are carrying it around all day.

78g could be the difference between leaving a few biscuits at home! :-O

Still happy with my G9 and good to hear that it can still more than hold it’s own against the latest.

Would however love Panasonic to consign the phase detect gripe to the past, and embrace it in the next model - I have no reason to consider changing unless Panasonic or Olympus could actually make real gains on the tracking abilities of Sony for example.

Would also love a 500mm native lens, never can have enough reach.

Attachments

• 7EE9EA3D-A28F-43F4-900E-BBF42003A2AF.jpg
    7EE9EA3D-A28F-43F4-900E-BBF42003A2AF.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 54

Still happy with my G9 and good to hear that it can still more than hold it’s own against the latest.

Would however love Panasonic to consign the phase detect gripe to the past, and embrace it in the next model - I have no reason to consider changing unless Panasonic or Olympus could actually make real gains on the tracking abilities of Sony for example.

Would also love a 500mm native lens, never can have enough reach.

I did see a rumor somewhere about a G9 replacement with a new focusing system ?

I did see a rumor somewhere about a G9 replacement with a new focusing system ?

I have not seen this mentioned as of yet.

I am not sure if the tracking ability is more on the software side, company not being good at explaining which settings to use, or the presence/absence of phase detect. The oly does have phase detect and in this particular case did not do particularly well on tracking.

Niels

There certainly seem to be rumours of a GH6 with next generation AF, from which I assume the “G10” photography centric unit would evolve - not sure what the new AF will entail though? Hopefully there will be phase detection unless Panasonic can up the game for continuous AF tracking with dfd, or come up with something else new.

Actually, it makes it over 13% heavier than the EM-1 mk. iii, which is already the heaviest m4/3 camera Olympus has made apart from the EM-1x which has an extra grip built in. And the panasonic GH series is even heavier. Expect any updated models to be heavier still. That is not a good trend for a system whose primary selling point is low weight.

Actually, it makes it over 13% heavier than the EM-1 mk. iii, which is already the heaviest m4/3 camera Olympus has made apart from the EM-1x which has an extra grip built in. And the panasonic GH series is even heavier. Expect any updated models to be heavier still. That is not a good trend for a system whose primary selling point is low weight.

The primary selling point for me as a birder is smaller lenses, never has been re smaller bodies for me - the body I prefer on the large side for stability and balance with telephoto lenses - that is why I use my G9 with a grip - the extra battery life is just the bonus.

There are plenty of smaller body options for other types of photography, but as a sports and wildlife camera I think the EM1 and G series cameras are best suited as chunky units. If I wanted a small camera I would get a GX or Pen-F, which are more suited to that purpose.

Understood. But many, including myself, don't care about size. Only weight--and weight is the same burden whether in the body or lens. Panny has done better keeping down the weight of lenses, Oly has done better with bodies. That's why I mostly use Oly bodies and panny lenses. Unfortunately, that sacrifices dual IS though.

Last edited:
Understood. But many, including myself, don't care about size. Only weight--and weight is the same burden whether in the body or lens. Panny has done better keeping down the weight of lenses, Oly has done better with bodies. That's why I mostly use Oly bodies and panny lenses. Unfortunately, that sacrifices dual IS though.

I have never tried Olympus bodies, and the 100-400 with dual IS was a big reasoning behind never venturing there in the end. It can be said a certain weight can aid to natural dampening with long focal lengths, so as long as we don’t start piling on the kilos I am fine with the current weights - I don’t suppose they will increase too far from the current ranges, so I am good with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back