• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Retiring Binoculars, looking for similar replacement.. (1 Viewer)

slingworks

I'm looking for a new binocular and not really sure what's out there matching my needs...So I'm looking for some expert advice.

I often hunt Coyotes and for the past few years I've used an IF 7x30 with an 8.5 degree field of view, 22-23mm of eye relief and field flatteners.....

I found this to be the very best binocular for it, as I live in hill country with lots of heavy woods/brush and mixed open ground. Coyotes are quick and elusive..So I've always appreciated the wide angle for covering ground and the IF as I can "see" about anything at any depth of field just by looking...

What I have is superb for this use...But I think I'm starting to show age..I noticed this past summer some days I can use them, some days I can't.....In general I am starting to feel it on all my IF binoculars....

So I am curious what is a good "manual focusing binocular" with the same specs? (Wide field, flatteners and long eye relief)?

A fellow I know is going to trade me some Fujinons I have for a pair of Pentax DCF 8x43 SP.....I think they're good binoculars but maybe not quite what I really want...I really wanted something in the 30mm class....

Any advice or recommendation is appreciated, thanks!

If I were you I would wait for the new Kowa BDII XD's that will be out in a couple weeks. The 6.5x32 with a 10 degree and 525 foot FOV sounds ideal for your coyote hunting. With a big exit pupil they would be bright for those early morning hunts also. They are center focus but you would not have to focus a 6.5x much with it's great DOF. They will be about $350.00.

https://www.kowaproducts.com/BDII-XD-brochure.pdf

Last edited:
IF as I can "see" about anything at any depth of field just by looking...

Any advice or recommendation is appreciated, thanks!

The above sounds to me like you have bought into that "auto-focus" Blarney started by Steiner and perpetuated by bottom of the barrel companies.

If you want to know the clinical realities of the matter, send me a PM. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

If I were you I would wait for the new Kowa BDII XD's that will be out in a couple weeks. The 6.5x32 with a 10 degree and 525 foot FOV sounds ideal for your coyote hunting. With a big exit pupil they would be bright for those early morning hunts also. They are center focus but you would not have to focus a 6.5x much with it's great DOF. They will be about $350.00.

https://www.kowaproducts.com/BDII-XD-brochure.pdf

ditto

I'm excited to try that new Kowa too. You could also look at the Nikon HG 8x30 with 8.3* FoV. Weatherproof and all that. About US$850 new.

Marc

Thanks for the replies!

WJC, I'll have to look into those...In case I need to appear more educated in the future :)

I am currently using a pair of KOMZ 7x30 BPOs...With the later straw colored coatings.

Denco I'll look into those Kowas....I have Kowa Spotters and if the binoculars are as good I'm all for that.
I'll also look into that Nikon. Sounds like a great option from what you're written.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back