• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red and yellow birds (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Any advice on camera settings to take a nice sharp picture of a bird that is either brightly red such as a Vermillion Fly Catcher or bright yellow like many orioles are? I want to capture that true color and do so nice and sharp. The color many times will come through but due the nature of its brightness, the bird always looks a bit out of focus....

ideas? thanks in advance

I have had trouble with bright yellow plants in macro work - in the end I tried selecting the yellow parts of the shot only and lowering the contrast and saturation to bring them into line with the rest of the shot.
You could try underexposing a bit though of course that brings with it its own problems. Provided that you don't blow out the yellow you should be able to edit it to normal colours - sometimes shooting a JPEG at the same time can help as it gives you a refrence shot that is often not that bad at showing the actual colours at the time

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back