• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

home made digiscoping adapter panasonic fit (1 Viewer)

Made for my panasonic camera.

This is a quick home made digiscoping adapter that cost nothing to make but actually work superb.

It is designed to slip over the eyepiece in an instant for that quick photo.

while your observing through the scope,if you wish to take a photo of your subject then this can easily be done by slipping the adapter over your eyepiece,and push on till in stops(prototype made to fit my kowa 30x wide on tsn4).

Then zoom to about 3x on your camera(panasonic fs7/fs15) and insert into the end of adapter.

This is a perfect fit and there is no play so the lens does not wobble about and enable perfect photos which are centred right in the middle of the eyepiece being perfectly aligned.

Better than the universal adapters for speed and ease of use i promise you.

Best thing is its not permanantly attached and it takes 2 seconds to put on,no messing about trying to align the camera up with centre of the eyepiece anymore.

Last photo show 3x fluffy part of velcro sticky pads to make fit perfect and stops any marks to camera lens.

please tell me your views and feedback.

thanks Gary

Attachments

• PICT0110.jpg
    PICT0110.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 531
  • PICT0111.jpg
    PICT0111.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 415
  • PICT0112.jpg
    PICT0112.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 367
  • PICT0113.jpg
    PICT0113.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 480
  • PICT0117.jpg
    PICT0117.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
You need a remote shutter release. Otherwise your pics will suffer some mechanical vibration blur if you hold the camera to press the button. Also don't leave the camera attached and unattended as the lens will eventually auto-retract and the camera falls to the ground.

thanks for info,yes i understand what you are saying but this was only for a quick photo,not to be left on the scope with the camera on,i have actually tried it this evening with remote shuttter release and its fine and quite easy to hold still,technique comes in handy here though.Granted it would be better with a cable release and theres nothing stopping you having one set up on the camera ready for action.

hey its free and beats holding the camera up to eyepiece and tsruggling to get it centred.lol.

cheers Gaz

Gary,
A nice simple solution. I have a similar one for the Canon G10 on a Kowa 25x LER eyepiece.
Do you need to zoom to 3x though as the quality drops off a lot over half zoom on most of these digicams?
Neil.

Hi neil.

Actually to my surprise i can use it at zero zoom and i still get full image with virtually no vignetting..what would you say best zoom to use is then please?

Thanks Gary

Last edited:
Gary,
Mostly I prefer around 40 mm and Macro Mode for most of my cameras and if I need more magnification I add more on the eyepiece. Although I have used the Nikon 8400 and P6000 at almost full zoom with ok results but the Canon S90 does not do well over 60% zoom.
Neil

Gary, can you say something about how the adapter is made, what materials, how you worked out measurements, etc?

Michael

Hi Gary,

What was the blue rubber piece on your adapter originally intended for? I am looking to make a similar adapter. Thanks!

Adapters such as these are just fine...I had one made out of PVC pipe and that looks like what you have done too. What is the blue material?

I eventually went to a Swaro adapter though....Cost a bit but in the end run it was more efficient. I agree that going to full zoom hurts image quality so if you can do 0 zoom, you are doing well. When working with scopes etc.... surprising you get pretty close without any zoom...a true benefit of digiscoping.

On the other hand.....I use digiscoping primarily in the winter and light is poor but waterfoul are abundant. In that case...picture quality will suffer anyhow due to poor light, distance to bird etc...so in that case, use full zoom...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back