• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Southern-mid Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I'm planning to visit Ontario in May of this year. Target species are Northern Harrier, calling of the Common Loon, warblers at point pelee and possibly Great gray owl.

My question to the locals is how far north do i have to travel for Great Gray Owl? The plan is to stay with family for the first week in southern Ontario, Chatham-Kent, to go to Point Pelee and surrounding marshes. The second week i want to head up north for the more boreal species but i havent decided where to go yet. So does anyone here know some good places for GGO? Algonquin maybe?

Some information would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings Henry

My question to the locals is how far north do i have to travel for Great Gray Owl?

The answer to this as with everything is, it depends. Ideally, you want to be as far north and as far west in Ontario as you can get for the GGO.
Southern Ontario probably won't cut it, you might have some luck in Thunder Bay but that's still fairly southern. There are quite a few sightings on eBird north of Kapuskasing so that might be good too.
Keep in mind that Ontario is absolutely huge and true Northern Ontario doesn't have any roads. Toronto to Thunder Bay is a 2-day drive (14-17 hours). You can fly of course.
Manitoba would give you a better shot so that might be worth thinking about, budget permitting.

Good news is, Loons are very common, pick any quiet lake in southern Ontario and you'll hear them.

Thank you Waltsdog! Yes i imagined the Owls were a bit far fetched in that area but you never know.

The Loon news is great, now i know i dont have to be at a specific spot to hear them, which makes it all alot easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back