• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is making this thin high pitched call at night? (1 Viewer)

Cyclops

1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!
Many times while out and about I have heard this very short, thin sound overhead (not just up here but also when I lived down south too) and just assumed it was a bat, but I was wondering if this could be a bird?

Last edited:
Ok here's another one

Now this is weird! In the garden the other night and a sound came out of the lilac bush. It was kinda like stones rubbing together,you know like stonechat(a bogey bird for me,still not seen one) but the only birds in my garden are sparrows and Starlings. Never heard it before!

Now this is weird! In the garden the other night and a sound came out of the lilac bush. It was kinda like stones rubbing together,you know like stonechat(a bogey bird for me,still not seen one) but the only birds in my garden are sparrows and Starlings. Never heard it before!

sounds like a wren

rob

If it's at night, probably a tawny owl. Not the t-woo bit, but the t-wit. Two different calls, one does the t-wit, the other answers with the t-woo.

Could be a dunnock - a bit like a squeaky wheel. If your place has a lot of street lighting around, it could well be a wren, as mentioned in above post, as our wren is often singing after dark.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back