• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SRB' s new swing out camera bracket (1 Viewer)

Yes

I took it to Florida to a Birding Festival i was invited to teach digiscoping at a couple of weeks ago

The adapter was a talking point with the Digiscopers there, its much more easier to set up than the previous model, and more importantly you can walk about with the camera attached, it will not shake loose due to the new design.

I used it in conjunction with my Zeiss 85, 20 - 60 Zoom eyepiece and Sony N1 camera, the improvements from the last model are very noticeable.

The hinge for the swing out bracket does not score itself on the upright shaft, Terry has played a blinder by making a special metal unit that will not tighten up on the upright shaftbut within itself, the swing out locking mechanism is also new and much more stable, its a new idea IMHO, and is much improved on what was a very good Universal adapter.

I was also surprised on how light it was and seemd to be very solid and well made, and it will fit most cameras he said

Terry told me that they were looking to make a new / or strengthen the platform somehow, to accommodate a DSLR on it, now that would make it the worlds first universal swing out P & S and DSLR Digiscoping adapter all in one!

Its good to know that we have a company out there interested in Digiscopers and their opinions, its British, and they will make you anything you want, great bunch of people in the office, friendly and full of advice, you even get a cuppa when you call round, i cant fault them, top blokes!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the very informative posting. I have emailed Terry on the possibility of updating my Swarovski ATS 20-60x bracket. There are now three new swing-out brackets on the market: Baader, Pentax and now SRB-Griturn's. Can you beat that! I have just gotten the Baader swing-out bracket. Up to this point it is the best I have seen. I look forward to trying out the SRB-Griturn one.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Robert

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
................................ I just gotten the Baader swing-out bracket. Up to this point it is the best I have seen. ..................... Clip

Anyone else have anything to add?

Robert

Robert, I notice your address in the USA. I have not been able to find a company in the UK willing to ship the Baader to North America. Where did you purchase the Baader swing-out bracket?

Thanks,

E. Pike

Hi E. Pike,

Try Bob Luffel at www.alpineastro.com/ at Alpine Astronomical. You can email him at [email protected] . They are the dealer for Baader-Planetarium in the USA and are located at P.O. Box 1154, Eagle, Idaho 83616, USA. The Mark II camera adapter is so new they do not have it on their product list yet, but that is where I got mine. They say the easiest way to order is to email Bob Luffel at the above address and when you make contact they will give you instructions on how to proceed. I paid by PayPal and I think that is how they prefer to be paid.

Good luck and good digiscoping.

Robert

Robert, I notice your address in the USA. I have not been able to find a company in the UK willing to ship the Baader to North America. Where did you purchase the Baader swing-out bracket?

Thanks,

E. Pike

Last edited:
Robert

A few pictures to show you the SRB new swing out Digiscoping Adapter

SRB 01 - Shows you when the camera is swung out of position, you can lock it down firmly.

SRB 02 - Shows you the new locking mechanism for swinging the camera into place and stopping at the same place very time, which is much stronger than the previous model.

SRB 03 - Shows you the cable release with two cable release sizes, carried on from the previous model, also access to the zoom eyepiece as previous.

SRB 04 - The locking mechanism which can rotate backwards and angle the camera, with loads of movement for getting the least vignetting on you camera screen.

SRB 05 - Showing you the swing out adapter in full

A good improvement on the older model, the cable release is still on the large size, and whenever you say an item is "Universal" its difficult to keep it small, thats the only things i could find that could be possibly improved upon, but its light, solid, and works well.

Paul

Attachments

• SRB 01 P1010243.jpg
    SRB 01 P1010243.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 731
  • SRB 02 P1010224.jpg
    SRB 02 P1010224.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 536
  • SRB 03 P1010231.jpg
    SRB 03 P1010231.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 657
  • SRB 04 P1010233.jpg
    SRB 04 P1010233.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 579
  • SRB 05 P1010236.jpg
    SRB 05 P1010236.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 710
Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for the fine pictures of the SRB camera bracket. I notice that the support bars appear to change size at the hinge. What happens when you change the adjustment in and out or up and down? Do the smaller bars telescope inside the larger ones as you move them in and out?

Thanks again,

Robert

Hi Robert

Yes you are correct, the smaller bars move in and out and very smoothly, and then the plastic clips just clamp down firmly,

Here is a pic taken on Saturday using the adpater with the Zeiss 85 scope,
20 - 60 zoom eyepiece, and Sony N1 Digital Camera

Paul

Attachments

• Dipper Glen Tanar Web800 Dsc03869.jpg
    Dipper Glen Tanar Web800 Dsc03869.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 509
It appears to be much more substantial produt than the earlier version. If only it came out two months sooner, before I purchased the earlier model. Oh well, so far I have no real complaints and at this point I have no reason to upgrade.

Hi JSO

If you are happy with your adapter then fine, but i spoke with Terry from SRB today about your reply and he says SRB offer their customers a chance to update their adapters by keeping the adapter that goes over the scope eyepiece and replace the bracket, and its just two bolts to take it off and its a cheaper alternative, just a thought for any current SRB customers who are thinking that it might too expensive to upgrade?

Paul

Hi JSO

If you are happy with your adapter then fine, but i spoke with Terry from SRB today about your reply and he says SRB offer their customers a chance to update their adapters by keeping the adapter that goes over the scope eyepiece and replace the bracket, and its just two bolts to take it off and its a cheaper alternative, just a thought for any current SRB customers who are thinking that it might too expensive to upgrade?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for the helpful information. I emailed Terry on Sunday, May 4th asking him if I could do just that. Haven't heard back yet, but I know he is probably very busy about now with the introduction of the new adapter.

Best regards,

Robert

Thanks for the information Paul. I'm not sure if I'm ready to upgrade yet, but it's good to know my options. Robert, I hope you'll post what you learn after you're in contact with Terry.

JSO

Hi JSO,

Below is a copy of the private email I got from Sarah James at SRB. I believe this will give you and the other interested folks the information you want. I sure if you contact Sarah she will be able to answer any questions you may have. These are super good people to deal with.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Mr Crenshaw.

Its nice to hear from you again.

Yes, it is possible to upgrade to the new model. The new system uses the same eyepiece tube as your model so we would just change over the swing out part of the system. If you wish to return the original frame we can recycle this for you.

The cost of the new upgrade would be 39.95 (GBP) and (GBP) 7.35 for postage. If you return the old swing out part we will deduct a further (GBP) 5.00 off the new swing out system for you.

Kind regards

Sarah James
SRB~Griturn ~ Customer Support and Mail Order Manager

If you have not done so, visit our e-store: www.srb-griturn.com

You can contact me by email at [email protected]
or by telephone, dial 01582 661878
Our Fax is 01582 472980

Last edited:
nice looking adapter by srb and out of topic; paul, what type of gitzo tripod u have from the picture no 3 ?

and has one here knows what is the length in cm for the cable release by srb ? is it more than 30cm ?

Paul, in the last photo (photo #5) what is the purpose of the tubular sleeve which consists of 3 setscrews and is attached to the eyepiece of the scope? Does it serve as a light trap? Does the P&S camera simply slide close to some optimal position within this tubular sleeve?

Dennis

Paul, in the last photo (photo #5) what is the purpose of the tubular sleeve which consists of 3 setscrews and is attached to the eyepiece of the scope? Does it serve as a light trap? Does the P&S camera simply slide close to some optimal position within this tubular sleeve?

Dennis

Hi Dennis

The tubular sleeve is part of the adapter, the sleeve is used for zoom eyepieces, it is cut out to allow the zoom to be turned up if needed, it also has the swing arm attached by two screws

it does not serve as a light trap

The P & S camera is positioned on the arm and then centered by use of screws, in conjunction with the extension arms in a vertcial and horizontal position and a small allen key to tighten up and "centre" the camera and to fix the appropriate distance from the eyepiece to give the least vignetting image, and then to swing the arm with the camera on into the same position every time, simply, it works!

Hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul. After my post I realized I should have looked more carefully at your photo, because I came to the conclusion that the open tube was to allow adjustment of eyepieces with zoom. I should have figured out that the swing out attachment is connected to the tubular piece. Thanks again.

In comparing the SRB and the Baader swing out adapter (mentioned by another person) I note that there is a big difference in prices between the two. However, the SRB adapter looks more refined and better built. And it has provision for a cable release which the Baader apparently does not.

Srb-griturn Bracket

Based on some great write ups I ordered the bracket for my Zeiss 85 and Sony N1 and was charged $148.20 on 7/31/08. They confirmed my purchase, but have never responded to my emails to [email protected]
...giving me ship date or any information.

It has been a week, I should have gotten a reply.
None is in the junk mail.

Has anyone dealt with this company and have any suggestions on how to get them to respond?

I am in USA.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back