• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

KenM. The Goshawk was great team work. Gulls were calling frantically, I looked up and shouted out WTF! My wife heard me shout and grabbed my bins of the dining table and gave them out to me as I ran in for them. Just got the bird in the bins as it hammered off.

Very familiar with that acronym John, and have also had assistance from my spouse in the ''heat of the moment''. :t:

After a week of ''grey dirge'' the sun shone this am...and so did the birds! With a garden and life tick under my belt from yesterday (Bank Vole), I found a young Chiffy sporting an eye-ring that wouldn't have looked out of place on a Nashville!....soon followed by a year tick juv.Lesser Whitethroat (no.72.) plus flyover Legret, Sprawk, Buzzard and a seemingly (got it a bit late) large Accip. :eek!:

Attachments

• P1960652.jpeg   Bank Vole Lifer1..jpeg
    P1960652.jpeg Bank Vole Lifer1..jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 10
  • P1960677.jpeg   Grdn.Chiff.1..jpeg
    P1960677.jpeg Grdn.Chiff.1..jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P1960699.jpeg   LW grdn.1..jpeg
    P1960699.jpeg LW grdn.1..jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 12
  • P1960659.jpeg  Legret thro the trees..jpeg
    P1960659.jpeg Legret thro the trees..jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P1960656.jpeg   Accip over 4..jpeg
    P1960656.jpeg Accip over 4..jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 18
112. Corncrake.

Two very noisy individuals calling all day and night for the last couple of days - strange to arrive on my land so late, presume they have been displaced by grass mowing nearby.

One solid June addition came today in the form of two

75. Hairy Woodpecker

They are still barely annual from the yard, as we don't have mature woods in the immediate area.

My goal is still 100 species when it's all said and done! I have plenty of room for some more passerine migrants, especially warblers. I think I can also expect a few miscellaneous birds, too (Caspian Tern, Merlin, Cliff/Bank Swallow). The question is, will there be enough to total 25 or more?!

Last edited:
73 Nutcracker

Heard calling across the valley this morning, unusual in June ( there are definitely no hazelnuts available on the bushes yet) but I’ll take it, especially as the singing Garden Warbler not far away refuses to come within earshot!

One solid June addition came today in the form of two

75. Hairy Woodpecker

They are still barely annual from the yard, as we don't have mature woods in the immediate area.

My goal is still 100 species when it's all said and done! I have plenty of room for some more passerine migrants, especially warblers. I think I can also expect a few miscellaneous birds, too (Caspian Tern, Merlin, Cliff/Bank Swallow). The question is, will there be enough to total 25 or more?!

EDIT: One more down and it's an "armchair tick"! An accounting error on Feb. 1st saw me add Common Raven as #26 after adding Northern Harrier as #26 on Jan. 28.

That puts me at

76. Hairy Woodpecker

My nice list of additions marked peak season I think, it has got much quieter since then. Gives me time to daydream about a grand tour around the other gardens - there'd be a fair number of lifers for me, on both sides of the pond.

Anyhow, a few more visitors:
69. Scarlet Tanager - turned up and investigated the hummingbird feeder. I see them every year, and every time my jaw still drops at just how radiant they are.
70. Tennessee Warbler
71. Ruffed Grouse
72. Veery
73. Great Crested Flycatcher

Also found my first local Mourning Warbler a few weeks back, which takes my overall Green Patch list to 150. My garden list is on 106, so there are a fair few local birds that theoretically wouldn't have to wander far to be added on. Keeping hope alive!

Off on my hols next week, have a lovely summer everyone (or winter? not sure we've got any Southerners this year?).

Aha, six months gone and six to go and Amy, Ken and I are all on 73 for the year (though unlike you two my overall Garden List has yet to reach its century (three more needed for that milestone).
Pretty consistent scoring here, in 2017 I was on 72 at this stage (finished with 87), last year 75 (finished on 86) so I'm focused on topping 90 for the year and 100 for the Garden Life List. No Shrike piles à la Jos, but the raspberries I planted are beginning to look like a mini-migrant trap for the autumn (Grasshopper, Marsh and Icterine Warblers would be a nice way to reach the ton.......................

Aha, six months gone and six to go and Amy, Ken and I are all on 73 for the year (though unlike you two my overall Garden List has yet to reach its century (three more needed for that milestone).
Pretty consistent scoring here, in 2017 I was on 72 at this stage (finished with 87), last year 75 (finished on 86) so I'm focused on topping 90 for the year and 100 for the Garden Life List.

I’m sure Richard you’ll achieve 90 for the year soon (I suspect before me) and eclipse the three digit mark overall for the garden sooner than you think.

However for moi the annual bottom line listing is purely secondary, as the primary thrust is for “additional” new species.

Were it not for the requisite number crunching (more hours at the window than perhaps one might like)...most of the exciting garden lifers would probably never have been found!

FWIW, I believe I am also roughly at the same level at this time as last year.

Yellowhammers

I think they may have moved to France Ken, I've got several pairs in the vicinity, I've done a serious study of their song too, here they sing "Un petit peu du pain et pas Brie" instead of the UK birds' " A little bit of bread and no cheese".
Pushing back the boundaries of science n'est-ce pas? :t:
Like H, I'm waiting for the Hobbies to appear, won't be long now as I'm seeing plenty of House Martins, Barn Swallows and Swifts now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back