• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (7 Viewers)

mmmmmm, lovely bittern, going to be a stunner. Just wondering if it's me, or my lack of knowledge when it comes to bitterns, but is the head a little concave? It might need a little touch to make it stand out from the background, then again, maybe not. I love bitterns, a very special bird for me because they were the reason I started sketching. In Jan '96, at the tender age of 13, I was going on an RSPB trip to the Lea Valley, I'd been brought up to believe that Bitterns were the sort of bird you get to see once in your life and no more, so I wanted to make sure I got a record of them some how. I wasn't disappointed! I'm popping back to the UK next week for a few days with my parents, so hopefully I'll get up the loft and find the sketches out.

Bittern Cley

12" x 10" Acrylic
Lightened behind head and neck Nick, but it is a very flat line when flying.
Coming out a little dark in the photo.

Attachments

• B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 111
Great work Arthur. Nice series on landscape and flying birds coming together (an I can't believe you don't market these - go see a local gallery).

another beauty completed, you're banging out more pics than me now. Maybe it's time to pick up the wine, (or put it down??). I've never had the privilege of seeing a bittern in level flight like that, the only ones I've seen in flight were a wanderer in Aberystwyth that spent two weeks in a tiny ditch, and on its last day as it flew off it almost knocked me off my feet as it flew towards me along the river, the other one was a quick glimpse of one flying as a hen harrier put it up. I'm with Tim here, whether you want to or not is a different question, but you could easily be selling these.

Thankyou Tim and Nick. I am considering looking into selling.
A lovely frosty morning to wake up to out of the window. Some sketches from the garden today before the fog came in.

Attachments

• Gar1.jpg
    Gar1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Gar2.jpg
    Gar2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Gar3.jpg
    Gar3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 116
Oh how I envy you that view Arthur - you've made me homesick!

Love the sketches and ditto the comments on selling your work - you should definitely look into it.

Green! Your yard is so green! Oh how very, very, very sick of snow I am.

Love the barnie flight sequence, you're always spot on when it comes to birds on the wing.

what a view! lovely sketches of the visitors too - my garden birds are town pigeons in the road, (and a black redstart singing on the chimneys opposite in the summer).

Brought one of the Barny sketches on in coloured pencil
must get out on the marshes more.

Attachments

• BO11.jpg
    BO11.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Gar4.jpg
    Gar4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Thankyou both.
Another on the way1
1/4 Imperial Pen & Ink ,Water colour

Attachments

• Gsw1.jpg
    Gsw1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Gsw2.jpg
    Gsw2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Gsw4.jpg
    Gsw4.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
beautifully clean composition and handling of this one, I love the wispiness of the background, and excellent pose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back