• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird on nest live webcam... (1 Viewer)

muphasta

You may have seen my first thread mentioning this, but I did indeed get a webcam up and running and am streaming live!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/balcony-birds

I'll try to keep this up everyday until the baby birds leave the nest. I'll shut it down at dark (because it really slows my computer down) and start up around 5 am pacific when I work, and whenever I wake up on weekends.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, I've been following the original thread. Just watched Momma leave the nest, wish I could watch more now but must leave for work. I like how you are making sure she and the eggs are not disturbed and kept the chime from swinging in the wind.

Being a novice, I am going to hazard a guess, from watching the live cam. I think it's a Costa's Hummingbird. I am sure the people who really know, will tell what she is for sure.

You are welcome!

Glad you are enjoying it!
Do you happen to know what species of hummingbird this is?

Females are hard to identify. Here is the ID info from hummingbirdworld.com on Costa's.

"Female Costa's Hummingbirds are small. They have a medium-length straight bill, and very white underparts. They have a green crown and white cheeks. (Black-chins usually have gray crowns and pale gray cheeks.) Costa's Hummingbirds often seem a little plump. Their throats may have faint dots. The flanks are green."

If your nesting momma has these characteristics you have a Costa.

There are others on this bb that are hummingbird experts and can help you a lot more than I can. Hopefully they will read/watch your post and have an answer.

Females are hard to identify. Here is the ID info from hummingbirdworld.com on Costa's.

"Female Costa's Hummingbirds are small. They have a medium-length straight bill, and very white underparts. They have a green crown and white cheeks. (Black-chins usually have gray crowns and pale gray cheeks.) Costa's Hummingbirds often seem a little plump. Their throats may have faint dots. The flanks are green."

If your nesting momma has these characteristics you have a Costa.

There are others on this bb that are hummingbird experts and can help you a lot more than I can. Hopefully they will read/watch your post and have an answer.

I'm colorblind so I'll have to depend on the wife for identifying the mom. Thanks for the info.

Great webcam! Love the use of the lanyard, looks like it was the perfect solution. I'll be checking in on Momma everyday. I'm betting she's an Anna.

here is my web cam set up, a wire clothes hanger, zip ties, lanyard from a whistle, and a bracket from I don't remember what!

Attachments

• DSC08821.jpg
    DSC08821.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 110
Thanks so much for letting us all view the hummer mom. Please update the thread when the eggs hatch.

If you have access to facebook, check out the group for these birds. I've added pix of the babies!

** Just had a brain storm! ** What sun exposure does the nest get? The reason I ask is because if it gets quite a bit of sun, its built on metal, which would warm in the sun, warm the nest and help 'incubate' the nest from the bottom. I saw a nest 2 yrs ago here in Az. where it was built on the metal housing part of a flood lite. It was getting afternoon southwest sun exposure, and we thought at the time it was a very smart thing to do. Maybe your hummer had the same idea. What a smart hummer!

Well, since I pulled the chimes under the overhang, I don't think there is any direct sunlight. I may have ruined her plans if that is what she thought.

but, I felt that it would be more beneficial to keep her from spinning in the wind and keeping her and the eggs/babies dry outweighed the warmth from the sun heating up the pewter.

Not that I took that into consideration by the way. I'll keep it the way it is so they don't spin and get wet.

Muphasta,

Can you tell us why there was a small toy soldier and now a card, with ice cream printed on it, on top of the wind chime. It's got my curiosity wondering about it!!

Thanks....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back