• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagles in England (1 Viewer)

I think you have misrepresented Hotspur with that reference to his quote....he said the net not the forum!!

I dont think i am wrong and I still dont aggree with you David.

As has been said previously knowing the location of a shed 1 nest site is not a right it is a privalige and i dont think it is on to be pointing all and sundary in its general direction.

To be pointing folks in the direction of something so rare in England at the start of the breeding season is just asking for problems and bordering on the criminaly irrisponsible.

I think you have misrepresented Hotspur with that reference to his quote....he said the net not the forum!!

I dont think i am wrong and I still dont aggree with you David.

As has been said previously knowing the location of a shed 1 nest site is not a right it is a privalige and i dont think it is on to be pointing all and sundary in its general direction.

To be pointing folks in the direction of something so rare in England at the start of the breeding season is just asking for problems and bordering on the criminaly irrisponsible.

You know what jerkin you seem like a nice fellow and probably are ,like most people interested in Birds. And me while i like to think that i am nice person as well and someone who does not go around telling lies for the sake of telling them. I have no reason to lie about these birds and how i came across them. What would it take for you to believe me ?? If i sat you down in a country pub bought you a pint looked you in the eye and told you the story about these birds from start to finish...everything the whole truth and nothing but the truth....thats what it would have to take because no matter what I tell you , you are just not going to believe it.

I never had acces to a computer or the net until way back in the late 90s i live with my dad and he never ever owned a computer I did have access to the internet and a computer but that was nearly 10 years later.

For me to trawl the net would have been impossible and to be honest there is still very little or nothing on the net that would have led me to them.

The very people who are hammering me on here are the very people who made a big big mistake ( if thats what you want to call it ) way back in the late 70s when they produced a thin booklet greenish if i can remember exactly, about the birds that had been sighted or spotted if you like in Northumberland.

The book was published by NORTHUMBERLAND BIRD CLUB yes of all people.

I am sure someone will still have one of these books for you to check I would of thought birders being birders lots of people will still have a copy of this book.

Right this is the very important bit in that book ( I will try and find out the exacy year for you if you wish ) I think it was around November time on a cold day someone spotted a very young Golden Eagle sitting on a rock at a place which I will gladly refrain from mentioning.

I have never disclosed this area and never will nor have any of the other sites.

Now then they actually said that it was probably a passing GE or something to that nature but anyone with even half a brain knows that a GE this young at that time of year must be from the very area it has been sited at.

This book and this sighting was the first indication which led me to believe that there was a pair breeding there. Now I have admitted lots of times in the past that i did go out of my way ( back then ) because it was something I have always wanted to see no doubt about that and i will repeat I have changed the way i go birding now...but that really is not the point.

The point is that someone from Nortumberland bird club disclosed this highly sensitive information...and i would bey you a million pounds if i had it that this person found what he was actually looking for.

This person was not out looking for hawks or harriers he knew that they were there then he was daft enough to go and publish it. now i dony know if this person had a schedule 1 licence i am not really bothered...but that info should have never ever have been published.

Now then the next thing we dont know is how many guys this guy told of his fantastic find...i could imaging it wouldn't have been many but there would have been more than a few I bet. Then one or two of those very few people tell a few more and before you know it , it is a badly kept secret.....and that my friend is how my snowball started rolling....no internet...no computer 100% the truth.

If you still feel it in your nature to disbelieve me I will get the book photocopy it and send it to you in a PM if you wish, or im sure with your connections you may well know someone who may have a copy.

If any member of Northumberland Bird Club would like to verify my story or has the book please feel free to comment on my claims. There is not really much else I can say but that is how it all started.

The rest I would need a day to tell you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

david

photo copy

You know what jerkin you seem like a nice fellow and probably are ,like most people interested in Birds. And me while i like to think that i am nice person as well and someone who does not go around telling lies for the sake of telling them. I have no reason to lie about these birds and how i came across them. What would it take for you to believe me ?? If i sat you down in a country pub bought you a pint looked you in the eye and told you the story about these birds from start to finish...everything the whole truth and nothing but the truth....thats what it would have to take because no matter what I tell you , you are just not going to believe it.

I never had acces to a computer or the net until way back in the late 90s i live with my dad and he never ever owned a computer I did have access to the internet and a computer but that was nearly 10 years later.

For me to trawl the net would have been impossible and to be honest there is still very little or nothing on the net that would have led me to them.

The very people who are hammering me on here are the very people who made a big big mistake ( if thats what you want to call it ) way back in the late 70s when they produced a thin booklet greenish if i can remember exactly, about the birds that had been sighted or spotted if you like in Northumberland.

The book was published by NORTHUMBERLAND BIRD CLUB yes of all people.

I am sure someone will still have one of these books for you to check I would of thought birders being birders lots of people will still have a copy of this book.

Right this is the very important bit in that book ( I will try and find out the exacy year for you if you wish ) I think it was around November time on a cold day someone spotted a very young Golden Eagle sitting on a rock at a place which I will gladly refrain from mentioning.

I have never disclosed this area and never will nor have any of the other sites.

Now then they actually said that it was probably a passing GE or something to that nature but anyone with even half a brain knows that a GE this young at that time of year must be from the very area it has been sited at.

This book and this sighting was the first indication which led me to believe that there was a pair breeding there. Now I have admitted lots of times in the past that i did go out of my way ( back then ) because it was something I have always wanted to see no doubt about that and i will repeat I have changed the way i go birding now...but that really is not the point.

The point is that someone from Nortumberland bird club disclosed this highly sensitive information...and i would bey you a million pounds if i had it that this person found what he was actually looking for.

This person was not out looking for hawks or harriers he knew that they were there then he was daft enough to go and publish it. now i dony know if this person had a schedule 1 licence i am not really bothered...but that info should have never ever have been published.

Now then the next thing we dont know is how many guys this guy told of his fantastic find...i could imaging it wouldn't have been many but there would have been more than a few I bet. Then one or two of those very few people tell a few more and before you know it , it is a badly kept secret.....and that my friend is how my snowball started rolling....no internet...no computer 100% the truth.

If you still feel it in your nature to disbelieve me I will get the book photocopy it and send it to you in a PM if you wish, or im sure with your connections you may well know someone who may have a copy.

If any member of Northumberland Bird Club would like to verify my story or has the book please feel free to comment on my claims. There is not really much else I can say but that is how it all started.

The rest I would need a day to tell you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

david

Hi David can you send me a copy please, thanks

Hi David can you send me a copy please, thanks

I am going to Val disere ski ing from Newcastle tomorrow for a week and I can promise you 100% as soon as I get back I will make it my mission to get a copy of the book or the page where I found out this info.

Reading this info and wanting to see a GE from a child how many people would turn the chance down at trying to spot one.

I just hope that the owner of the book still lives in the same house and that he will loan me it for an hour or so.

Regards

David

There are GEs in Northumberland? Is there any place i could see them WITHOUT visiting the nest site such as a place where they are known to hunt or display etc. Of course i would not want this info getting out and endangering the birds but i would be most grateful if someone could send me a PM I assure you i am a trustworthy birder not an SBS anti raptorist (if thats a word)

Thanks

There are GEs in Northumberland? Is there any place i could see them WITHOUT visiting the nest site such as a place where they are known to hunt or display etc. Of course i would not want this info getting out and endangering the birds but i would be most grateful if someone could send me a PM I assure you i am a trustworthy birder not an SBS anti raptorist (if thats a word)

Thanks

I wouldn't get too excited. According to Birds in Northumbria 2009, the last record of a golden eagle in the county was in 2007.

I wouldn't get too excited. According to Birds in Northumbria 2009, the last record of a golden eagle in the county was in 2007.

well obviously they are not acurate records in that publication! (as we all know!)
I saw them today!

And to stick up for shark- he hasnt said anything that would lead anyone to know where the birds are (maby more than one pair), and he does not encourage anyone to go anywhere near breeding birds- i would never suggest this or indicate where the birds are- eggers know more than the birders these days- thats why sufficient protection is required to give the birds a good chance of breeding sucsess- (any eggers out there, this one is not worth pursuing, you have been warned!)

I reckon it wont be to many more years and egging will be a thing of the past anyway ...How many people in their twenties do you hear getting prosecuted ??..no i think you will find most are in their mid forties upwards and started in their teens ..in the age before playstations computers etc ..when if you came from a council estate you had nothing more to do with your time ...it was a status thing between kids to see who could get the best collections ...now its just a group of foggies who basically have an addiction ... much like twitchers ...I dont think its a passed from fathers to son thing ... i wont lie i did it as a kid .. i dont possess a collection and i would never ever dream of going near a nest site ..btw i didnt have eagles peregrines etc ... im talking blackbirds and moorhens .. i know loads of eagle sites and some that you can even sit in the car and view without disturbing them and loads up remote glens with no protection that anyone who could get to if the intent was there ...trust me if they want to get eagle eggs then they can get them without going to wardened sites ....as i said at the start 20 or 30 years and they will be history

funny that,i was actually thinking the same last night.

Hi sniper
Yes it is a hobby very much dated (egging that is)- unfortunatley there are a few in the North east who still induldge in this- the Barry Sheavills guy who was sent to prison (not long enough in my personall oppinion) who is out and about again- gets other guys to do his work- i know what i would do if i saw them near a schedule 1 birds nest, but im not gonna say on here cos i may be held up in court one day!

Im all for letting folk know whats about but we all know when someone is interfering with the birds breeding etc-
just use common sence- be in the area- hope you see the birds- if you do, great, if not try again!- dont go hunting around looking for nesting sites- you (if near) will be aprehended, but most likley will be wasting your time!
Let the birds get on with it- they are around- and will show for you if you are a birder who gets out there and spends time looking around- hours of work sometimes but as shark said "you allways remember the first Goldie"

I have seen goldies in Scotland before but to see them in England would be amazing,don't get me wrong,there's the haweswater bird in Cumbria but the fact it is having difficulty attracting a mate makes any other birds look more appealing.Personally I am in no rush to see the birds and I wouldn't go to any extraordinary lengths to see them,I am not that sort of birder.
With regards to these eggers,couldn't the boys be sent round to sort them???

It's been interesting to read the conflicting arguments in this debate. If there were other GE's in the country then should it be kept secret to try keep eggers off the trail? Personally i think the best way to combat eggers and other forms of bird persecution is eductaion and public awareness. I would imagine most people in the country wouldn't even know egging was a problem, and if an egg did go missing from a GE site that 'doesn't exist' then whose going to be bothered apart from the few in the know? Yet if people were able to visit these birds (at an appropriate RSPB viewing station) then protection could actually be increased, people would care more about the birds and the would be viewing station could be used to educate people about raptor persecution. Obivously i'm not suggesting a nest viewing station, this could still be kept secret and heavily guarded, one doesn't need to see inside an Eerie to see a GE, people just want to be able to see this majestic bird soaring in the sky. However, i see no reason why a webcam couldn't be set up to view a nest, i very much doubt it would disturb a bird and the number of people actually guarding the nest could be millions around the world. Many people have a great fondness and emotional connection to the Haweswater bird, including myself, having spent many years visiting the site and sharing in it's successes and more recent failures in attracting a mate. This could be the same for other birds, and what a success story eveyone could share in if one day a fledgling bird became the mate of the Haweswater bird!

Just a thought anyway.

re;stonedave

I agree with stonedave and the Osprey population in Scotland are Indebted to the RSPB and the Wardens/Volunteers who gave their time to watch the Loch Garten eyrie 24 hours a day,in the 1950s,60s,70s etc and even then,eggs were lost to eggers on some years.

Despite that,having people in place to watch nests 24 hours,7 days a week is a massive task but If it was only for one pair of Eagles in England,Im sure there would be an army of volunteers,willing to do so.

I agree with stonedave and the Osprey population in Scotland are Indebted to the RSPB and the Wardens/Volunteers who gave their time to watch the Loch Garten eyrie 24 hours a day,in the 1950s,60s,70s etc and even then,eggs were lost to eggers on some years.

Despite that,having people in place to watch nests 24 hours,7 days a week is a massive task but If it was only for one pair of Eagles in England,Im sure there would be an army of volunteers,willing to do so.

Here Here I for one.

Very well put- totally agree- but the local birders who know these birds dont think that way!

Barred Wobbler!- why do you persist in denying the birds, when you clearly know they are there!

Barred Wobbler again- if they are not there -i take it you would have no problem with me naming the place then?

Perhaps we could arrange a forum visit to the place since there are no eagles?

Everyone knows that they are in Northumberland ..in a tree ..there that narrows it down for viewing eggers ..lol ....sometimes people can just get that wee bitty over protective..and by totally denying their existence is laughable ... from what i understand they are well watched ... good luck to them...the birds that is

Last edited:
I've no reason to doubt the last record in 2007, and I've spoken to others that I trust who would know today.

When were these birds last "well watched"? The last one I saw was March 2006.

Last edited:
I've no reason to doubt the last record in 2007, and I've spoken to others that I trust who would know today.

When were these birds last "well watched"?

Depends what you meen by "well watched" You meen by one of your bird club groups?- looking to establish which one of the nests they are possibly using (as there are a few as you know)
Without giving it away as to where they are- all i can say is i "well watched them" on a few occassions last week when i was working (again without giving it away- you may understand where i work or who for!

Cant say if they are nesting- havnt the time to "well watch them" to find out to be honest- though you probably can triangulate if you know wheres best to "well watch!"

Or should i just say where Ive seen Goldies if you dont think they are there?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back