• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge Camera help (1 Viewer)

Robert S J Smith

Hi,

I'm interested in upgrading my Fuji S5200 to another bridge camera with higher magnafaction and better macro facilities.

The ones I've been looking at have been the Canon Powershot SX30 IS, Nikon Coolpix P500 both the Lumix FZ45/100 and I've noticed a few from fuji aswell. Are there other I should consider?

Basically I would like your opinion on what one you would buy or if you have one thats been mentioned what you think of it.

Many thanks,

Robert

These topics should be helpful.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=180987

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=193426

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=196136

I have the Nikon P100 and would not recommend the Nikon P500 only because I'm not convinced that the P500 will be any better than the P100 except for the longer zoom. The Nikon P100 has a very difficult time focusing on the intended object at long zoom and I don't think that the image stabilization is that great.

I just got the Canon SX30 a few weeks ago and it has been a huge improvement over the Nikon. The IS is amazing and it focus on what I want it to focus nearly every time.

If you read those threads you'll see a lot of opinions and real-life sample photos.

Many many thanks for that crazyfingers :)

I've two question regarding these four cameras: Canon Powershot SX30 IS, both the Lumix FZ45/100 and the Fuji FinePix HS20 EXR.

Which would you say has the best view finder?
Which has the fastest focus?

Many thanks,

Robert

I really couldn't say. I only have the Canon SX30 among the ones you listed. And focus time is insignificant when compared with the things to do to take a shot.

Lense cap off.
Power on.
Find the object in the zoom.
focus is insignificant.

Even if the first two are done focus is insignificant. Aiming is always much more time.

Besides, I have the camera set to continuous focus. So it's focusing whenever it's on. I might change that to save power on long days out but for now focus time is the least of my issues getting ready to shoot.

The problem is you will probably not find many who have tried all four! Additionally, I would probably have worded the question a little bit differently: which one has the fastest and best working AF and still has an acceptable view finder?

cheers
Niels

answered at the same time as crazyfingers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back