• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owls in Yorkshire?? (1 Viewer)

Amarillo said:
Yes, but shooting birds that live on open water is a lot more feasible than shooting secretive nocturnal woodland birds

there are not actually nocturnal, giving the wide variety of prey they can get at any time of the day/night i suppose.

the ones i watch were very active during the day, though not as much outside of breeding times obviously.

salty said:
there are not actually nocturnal, giving the wide variety of prey they can get at any time of the day/night i suppose.

the ones i watch were very active during the day, though not as much outside of breeding times obviously.

OK fair enough, but my point still stands. They would not be an easy species to eradicate should they become firmly established.

Amarillo said:
Yes, but shooting birds that live on open water is a lot more feasible than shooting secretive nocturnal woodland birds

Not secretive in the least.
Not restricted to nocturnal activity.
Not restricted to woodland.

SE

StevieEvans said:
That statement is based on what ?

Based simply on the assumption that ducks on open water are pretty much sitting targets, whereas eagle owls would presumably be a lot more elusive for the hunters and there would be a potential safety risk to people and other wildlife.

StevieEvans said:
..............................the BBC film on the Eagle Owls breeding in the North of Britain will be shown on Wed 16 Nov at 8pm on BBC 2. It will also be heavily featured in the Nov BBC Wildlife Magazine which goes on sale towards the end of this month.

SE

Eagle Owls in North Yorkshire

Hi All.

A report in the Yorkshire Post today tells of E. Owls secretly and successfully breeding in N. Yorks, and have been doing so for the past eight years. Observation and ringing of their chicks confirms that 23 chicks have left the nest. Opinions are divided of course has to the sense in all this. It is known that E. Owls are in Holland; and as is said in the report, crossing the Channel would be a short hop, and the habitat that they are spreading into is no different to Britain.

The first footage of the pair and their chicks in this country will be shown on,

Wednesday, November 16 in ' Natural World- Return of the Eagle Owl ' on BBC 2 @ 8pm.

Regards to all.
Baz.

I don't have a TV so willl miss the programme.

I'm glad to see them over here. Hopefully they are naturally increasing their range rather than being escapees.

What was the opposing views about them?

Forest Knights said:

I'm glad to see them over here. Hopefully they are naturally increasing their range rather than being escapees.

I'd imagine people are worried about what they'd prey on. Lambs, pets and other wildlife. Still, they were here once and I don't see any reason why they should be wiped out again. White tailed eagles, Ospreys, red kites and goshawks have all been reintroduced.

Hi Baz and everybody.

I saw this on Look North tonight. Eagle owls are very beautiful I think and we should celebrate their return to this country. Until they were hunted to extinction these owls were native to England. So why some of the negative reactions on their rightful return? Because Eagle Owls are not selective in what they hunt and they may take birds, other birds of prey or even pets. However as said on Look North their main prey here seems to be rabbits. I can understand the concerns about other birds of prey being taken especially if their number are low but at the end of the day it's nature and if humans would have not interfered with it in the first place bird of prey numbers wouldn't be low. The eagle owls would have not been extinct in Britain and we wouldn't have this debate about whether its good or bad that they have returned.

Shouldn't we be more concerned if an animal, insects or birds move in that have never been native to this country?

Isn't there some scaremongering going on here? Bit of sensationalism? I'm going to watch the program with interest on Wednesday.

I think the return of the owls can only a bonus and I'm glad that they have taken their rightful place back in this country. :t:

Happy birdies, Liebchen

The first footage of the pair and their chicks in this country will be shown on,

Wednesday, November 16 in ' Natural World- Return of the Eagle Owl ' on BBC 2 @ 8pm.

Regards to all.
Baz.
Thanks for letting us know about this programme Baz, I`d missed it on my usual trawl through the TV listings pages on Saturday. Any programme with owls always gets my attention. Unfortunately the Barn Owls that we have seen in previous years don`t appear to be around this year and although I`ve heard some Tawnys (or Tawnies?) lately, I`ve not seen one in the flesh for ages. Friends of ours had a visit from a tawny last week...they knew there was something lodged in their chimney and when it eventually fell through to the fire-place (luckily not in use!) there was rather a mess and one very angry owl ;) Took them quite some time to help it on its way.

Eagle Owls

Forest Knights said:

Hi FK.

The opposition came from ' experts ' who suggest that the E. Owl preys on rabbits, and because rabbits numbers have been severely reduced by disease in Holland, and to a lesser extent here, there is the chance that they will begin preying on other birds-of-prey including Tawny and Barn Owls and even Buzzards. Some of the ' experts ' and conservationists cite E. Owls as an alien species that could prey on existing rare wildlife. Isn't that what birds-of- prey do??

Regards.
Baz.

Yup, Eagle Owls are loose up on the North Yorkshire moors...I think the speeding drivers will be more of a threat to the happy skipping lambs than the owls myself though!

i would wonder whether there would be enough gene stock to sustain a healthy population of these owls.
i remember how they had to introduce spanish red kites to improve the blood lines in the first kites to be reintroduced into wales.

matt

Eagle Owls In North Yorkshire

Looking forward to BBC show on 16th about Eagle Owls.
Would love the opportunity to photograph some in the coming years.
Please visit my humble web site. www.yorkshirefoto.moonfruit.com
I have included a picture and a few words about the current interest in this particular species.

Best wishes

from Gerry Woogate @ Shipley

matt green said:
i would wonder whether there would be enough gene stock to sustain a healthy population of these owls.
i remember how they had to introduce spanish red kites to improve the blood lines in the first kites to be reintroduced into wales.

matt

If the birds are moving in from the continent they should be okay, with the EO's being fairly long-lived birds the gene pool can be boosted by infrequent migrants from the continent (once every few years or so). Especially if the migrants are males, they might be a bit sneeky and have illicit affairs with neighbours mates, especially if there is a demand for new blood! I would have thought that the owls would need a newcomer to join them soon though, I read there are 23 individuals, but if all of these are closely related I can't see them lasting long unless a new owl moves in.

Thanks for the info. I would hope that the enviromentalists now use their resources to ensure the continued success of the E Owl in the UK.

We need more large predators in the UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back